none
Recycle Bin - how do i find items deleted but not showing in Recycle bin?

Question

• Hi,

i was wanting to create some space on my hard drive, i went into 'my music' and highlighted all folders and hit delete.  as i hit delete i saw an I tunes folder.  This i need back.  I checked the I tunes library and everything is gone.  I went to the recycle bin and out of about 20 folders only 3 were there. 

How do i find the I tunes folder and restore it?

do i do this system restore thing?  never have but thought it would be an option.  i run XP.

would love to hear your suggestions. thanks in advance.

sorry if this is in the wrong thread group...would appreciate if a moderator could move it.

tjgado

• Moved by Alan.Gim Monday, May 25, 2009 8:30 AM redirect (From:General Discussions)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 11:23 PM

All replies

• Try posting in the XP Forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads
    Mark Morowczynski|MCSE 2003:Messaging, Security|MCITP:ES, SA|MCTS:Windows Mobile Admin|Security+|http://almostdailytech.com
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, May 25, 2009 1:51 AM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Hi tjgado;

How did you delete your music folder?Shift+Delete buttons or just only delete buttons?If u delete your folders and files with Shift+delete it will not go recycle bin.Will delete all.But if u delete just delete button it needs to go recycle bin.If ur xp recycle bin settings correct.For u can check go to recycle bin and right click then check settings.
    If delete your files on your system and no inside recycke bin.You need to use third party program for recovery ur deleted files.Search on net example recovery my files program.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:25 PM
  • You can try this:
    1. On the Go menu, click Folder List (Folder List: Displays the folders available in your mailbox. To view subfolders, click the plus sign (+) next to the folder. If the Folder List is not visible, on the Go menu, click Folder List.), and then in the Navigation Pane, click Deleted Items.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Recover Deleted Items.
    3. In the list, click the item or folder you want to retrieve, and then click the Recover Selected Items icon Receover Selected Items icon.

The item is recovered and saved in the Deleted Items folder.

Monday, June 01, 2009 12:47 AM
  • You can try this:
    1. On the Go menu, click Folder List (Folder List: Displays the folders available in your mailbox. To view subfolders, click the plus sign (+) next to the folder. If the Folder List is not visible, on the Go menu, click Folder List.), and then in the Navigation Pane, click Deleted Items.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Recover Deleted Items.
    3. In the list, click the item or folder you want to retrieve, and then click the Recover Selected Items icon Receover Selected Items icon.

The item is recovered and saved in the Deleted Items folder.

What does this have to do with the My Music folder on a computer!!! This has to do with an e-mail program!!! HELLO!!!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

i was wanting to create some space on my hard drive, i went into 'my music' and highlighted all folders and hit delete.  as i hit delete i saw an I tunes folder.  This i need back.  I checked the I tunes library and everything is gone.  I went to the recycle bin and out of about 20 folders only 3 were there. 

How do i find the I tunes folder and restore it?

do i do this system restore thing?  never have but thought it would be an option.  i run XP.

would love to hear your suggestions. thanks in advance.

sorry if this is in the wrong thread group...would appreciate if a moderator could move it.

tjgado

If you mistakenly delete something, as long as it hasnt been than long, immediately after. just right click on the desktop and choose "Undo Delete". if that doesnt work and you do need to use system restore, this page will tell you how to use that better than someone here can. if neither one of those works, you would need a good third party recovery software to use
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:06 AM

• If you mistakenly delete something, as long as it hasnt been than long, immediately after. just right click on the desktop and choose "Undo Delete". if that doesnt work and you do need to use system restore, this page will tell you how to use that better than someone here can. if neither one of those works, you would need a good third party recovery software to use

System Restore WILL NOT WORK for restoring personal files. It restores system files ONLY. Music will not be restored. As for the "Undo Delete" It doesn't Exist, and if it did, it WOULDN'T Work.

It is possible to use third party software to restore file fragments. IT DOES WORK. But I don't know a good enough third party software to try. I've tried a couple, but the've both given me viruses.
    • Edited by mvs1010 Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:50 AM Added Responces
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:46 AM

• System Restore WILL NOT WORK for restoring personal files. It restores system files ONLY. Music will not be restored. As for the "Undo Delete" It doesn't Exist, and if it did, it WOULDN'T Work.

It is possible to use third party software to restore file fragments. IT DOES WORK. But I don't know a good enough third party software to try. I've tried a couple, but the've both given me viruses.
    system restore will restore personal files, with a few exceptions of file extensions and files within the "My Documents" folder, as you can read here , and undo delete does work as long as long as you use it immediately and havent emptied the recycle bin, as you can read about here. as far as a good recovery software, there are enough good ones available that all it takes is a online search to find one. good luck with the recovery

• Proposed as answer by Imagoodtech Monday, November 23, 2009 11:02 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:17 AM
  • SYSTEM RESTORE DOES NOT RESTORE PERSONAL FILES!!!! this is a quote from the page you sent me; "System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder." HERE IS ANOTHER QUOTE; "Any files with data file name extensions (such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.) and all files in the My Documents folder are not restored.". The "(such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.)" are just examples of documents that are not restored, alot more are included.

LOL - What your thinking of is "Restore All Items." It will not work if your files were deleted permanently and not moved to the recycle bin.

I said there may be some good recovery software out there, but did not know of any.
    • Edited by mvs1010 Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:13 PM Added Responce
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:04 PM
  • SYSTEM RESTORE DOES NOT RESTORE PERSONAL FILES!!!!

LOL - What your thinking of is "Restore All Items." It will not work if your files were deleted permanently and not moved to the recycle bin.

I said there may be some good recovery software out there, but did not know of any.

These are sections direct out of the system restore documentation, unaltered, including the part in bold
         ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This restore point is created the first time you start your computer after you upgrade it to Windows XP Professional or when you first start a new computer. Selecting this restore point reverts Windows XP Professional and programs to the state they were in at that time. All files with data file name extensions (such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.) and all files in the My Documents folder are not restored."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System restore restores personal files with the exception of whats listed above, like was previously stated. I've personally used it to restore personal files and custom folders. hopefully you will find the answer you need, and get your files restored, if not someone else may able to help you more

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:24 PM
  • What is listed are EXAMPLES of what is not restored. NOTE THE "Such As".

"System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder."

"This restore point is created the first time you start your computer after you upgrade it to Windows XP Professional or when you first start a new computer. Selecting this restore point reverts Windows XP Professional and programs to the state they were in at that time. All files with data file name extensions (such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.) and all files in the My Documents folder are not restored."

THERE ARE ALOT MORE FILE TYPES THAT ARE NOT RESTORED!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial56.html

Here it says; "This is done without loss of personal files or data such as word processing documents, spreadsheets, music, images, etc."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN YOU OPEN SYSTEM RESTORE IT CLEARLY STATES; "System restore does not affect any of your documents, pictures, or other personal data,"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN YOU CLICK ON; "How does system restore work", THEN CLICK; "What types of files does system restore change" (at the bottom of the page), IT SAYS:

"Personal files, such as documents, e‑mail, photos, and music files, are not changed."

IT ALSO SAYS:

"For example, if you download a personal file, such as a photo from a digital camera, on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, the photo will still be on your computer. However, if you install a photo viewing program on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, System Restore will uninstall the program, and you won't be able to use that program to view photos."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM RESTORE ONLY RESTORES SYSTEM FILES, NOT PEROSONAL DATA, THEREFORE WILL NOT WORK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I SUGGEST FINDING A GOOD PROGRAM TO RE-ORGANIZE FILE FRAGMENTS.
    • Edited by mvs1010 Monday, November 23, 2009 10:48 PM Added More Info
    • Proposed as answer by mvs1010 Monday, November 23, 2009 11:53 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:42 PM