none
Windows XP uses 100 % CPU

Question

• Hi All,

I am using windows XP with Service pack 2, earily i am seeing my windows uses CPU 100 % when it on ideal also and its a very slow process. 

I have already uses these tools but didn't get sucess

Disk Defragmentation

Disk Cleanup

Check Disk

Any one have any option.

Rakesh Kumar

Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:20 PM

Answers

• It has been resolved, This happen due to antivirus latest update and svchost.exe

Rakesh Kumar

• Marked as answer by rkfom Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:18 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:18 PM

All replies

• svchost.exe in Task Manager? Perhaps McAfee Enterprise? Symantec?

All of these are terrible resource hogs. svchost.exe controls windows updates and although there is no need to use so much processor and memory, it is just the way it is.

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Ok lets find the real cause....use sysinternals suite, then use Procexp sort by CPU usage then find the cause...Process Explorer will also show you the threads of that process by double clicking the process then the threads tab, this will show you the exact cause of what is 'eating' the CPU. You also get a nice visual graph with process explorer so this shows USER and KERNAL usage. If you find high red (kernal) usage then use a tool like kernrate to find the cause....hopefully using Process Explorer you will easily find the answer! :)

Remember to vote if useful info supplied.

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:13 PM
  • It has been resolved, This happen due to antivirus latest update and svchost.exe

Rakesh Kumar

• Marked as answer by rkfom Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:18 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Yo man i am getting the same problem with 2 pc's, i have download the 3 programs you mentioned, and i am getting red bands in process explorer, i know very little about computers and was wondering if you could help??

Some of the processes that are banded red are :

Services.exe
    6 Svchost.exe
    spoolsrv (isn't that for printers?)
    alg.exelsass.exe
     and i have other in blue
    Any help is appreciated
    Stonedbios
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:54 PM
  • I started removing such programs as Pinnacle and viral ESOT software and for a short time everything was normal then the 100% iissue returned. Initially suspected RAM issue. THe event code shown by the system had no correlation to codes addressed in the microsoft tech site. - an analysis of this determined at first that it was the search indexer - yet disabling it proved no benefit. Then everything kept pointing to a search mechanisim issue - and refined it to Windows search - whereby upon some digging - found a recent upgrade of Windows Search. for Windows 7 and xp users -

WindowsSearch-KB940157-Srv2K3_XP-x64-enu.exe - wh

ere it can be installed without deleting the prior - all orher systems have search upgrades available but need the original unloaded first - since 30 days ago running at levels as the day the cpu was installed. Would suggest trying this very easy and quick upgrade as it may resolve the 100% cpu issue.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:35 AM