none
Xbox 360 can't connect to Windows 7 PC

Question

• My Xbox is connected to Home network via Ethernet cable and my PC is connected via wireless. However, my Xbox cannot find/connect to my PC, and my PC cannot find/connect to my Xbox. Ultimately I want my Xbox and PC to be able to recognize each other and use Windows Media Center on my Xbox.

I've been searching for a few days, and it seems that the most likely problem is that Xbox has a problem with identifying a PC if it's not using the same type of connection. (Either both devices have to be connected via wireless or both via Ethernet). I believe there has to be a workaround for this, but I can't find it. I really don't want to spend money on a wireless network adapter for my Xbox since an Ethernet connection is obviously faster. Also, I obviously don't want to have to plug my Laptop PC into my Xbox each time. I haven't been able to find a clear, or even somewhat helpful solution. Most solutions seem to be for different problems concerning PCs running on either XP or Vista.

My Xbox has no trouble connecting to the internet or to Xbox Live, the issue is simply within my Home Network. All sharing allowances are turned on, my firewall is not the problem, I've already turned it off and tested it to no avail.

Monday, December 12, 2011 12:35 AM

Answers

• you can have one wired and one wireless device, that is not the issue. if you
    are using a third party firewall, turning it off does not always solve the
    problem. you may need to temporarily uninstall it. even some third party Anti
    Virus programs have been known to block connections.

Please supply details on your firewall and AV software. Please supply the exact
    error message(s) you receive and go into Event Viewer and copy the error
    messages and paste into your reply.

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 00:35:10 +0000, beansanddogs wrote:

>My Xbox has no trouble connecting to the internet or to Xbox Live, the issue is simply within my Home Network. All sharing allowances are turned on, my firewall is not the problem, I've already turned it off and tested it to no avail.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:42 AM

All replies

• you can have one wired and one wireless device, that is not the issue. if you
    are using a third party firewall, turning it off does not always solve the
    problem. you may need to temporarily uninstall it. even some third party Anti
    Virus programs have been known to block connections.

Please supply details on your firewall and AV software. Please supply the exact
    error message(s) you receive and go into Event Viewer and copy the error
    messages and paste into your reply.

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 00:35:10 +0000, beansanddogs wrote:

>My Xbox has no trouble connecting to the internet or to Xbox Live, the issue is simply within my Home Network. All sharing allowances are turned on, my firewall is not the problem, I've already turned it off and tested it to no avail.

Barb Bowman

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:42 AM
  • How the hell is this considered "answered" ???

thats not an answer - thats a travesty.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:29 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Did you ever get it to work? 

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Please describe your problem in detail and your network setup.

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 22:12:55 +0000, Dee-y wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >I have the same problem.  Did you ever get it to work? 

Barb Bowman

Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Hi Barb, 

Having the same problem and haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. Here's where I'm at.

Problem: I want to get windows media center working w/ my xbox and desktop running windows 7 professional 64 bit. While my desktop can see the xbox (network>gaming devices>xbox) and the xbox is "allowed" under WMP 12, my xbox cannot find my desktop. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with my desktop/windows 7 network for the following reasons. I have a laptop that runs XP and it is able to connect to the xbox and vice versa using the same wired/wireless connections as my desktop.

What I've tried so far:
    - I've looked into the windows services and made sure UPnP. media extender, wmp network service, pnpp etc. are all started and on automatic
    - I've disconnected my homegroup
    - I've changed all media streaming settings through wmp 12 on, and turned on 128 bit encryption w/ no password required
    - I've turned off my symantec endpoint protection firewall. (though my laptop has the same firewall and, as mentioned, connects fine)

- I have tried pinging the xbox from both the desktop and the laptop and both drop all the packets even though the xbox can play files from the laptop. However, when i ping the laptop from the pc and vice versa, nothing is dropped.

- if I expand my full network map, my XP laptop and xbox are listed as discovered devices that can't be placed on the map - does that mean they're not connecting?

- all 3 devices have no problem connecting to the internet (xbox live works fine)

- my router is an apple airport express (my roommates use macs), the adjustable settings are all very basic. Nothing there regarding multicasting...

• Edited by mangoeater Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:11 AM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:09 AM
  • the best way to rule out network issues is to test as follows:

1. un associate the Xbox from the laptop and computer.
    2. turn off the xbox
    3. turn off the desktop
    4. connect the desktop to the xbox with a wired ethernet connection, by passing
    the router

5. now try to set up the xbox as an extender.

what happens?

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 00:09:01 +0000, mangoeater wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi Barb, 
    >
    >Having the same problem and haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. Here's where I'm at.
    >
    >Problem: I want to get windows media center working w/ my xbox and desktop running windows 7 professional 64 bit. While my desktop can see the xbox (network>gaming devices>xbox) and the xbox is "allowed" under WMP 12, my xbox cannot find my desktop. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with my desktop/windows 7 network for the following reasons. I have a laptop that runs XP and it is able to connect to the xbox and vice versa using the same wired/wireless connections as my desktop.
    >
    >What I've tried so far: - I've looked into the windows services and made sure UPnP. media extender, wmp network service, pnpp etc. are all started and on automatic - I've disconnected my homegroup - I've changed all media streaming settings through wmp 12 on, and turned on 128 bit encryption w/ no password required - I've turned off my symantec endpoint protection firewall. (though my laptop has the same firewall and, as mentioned, connects fine)
    >
    >- I have tried pinging the xbox from both the desktop and the laptop and both drop all the packets even though the xbox can play files from the laptop. However, when i ping the laptop from the pc and vice versa, nothing is dropped.
    >
    >- if I expand my full network map, my XP laptop and xbox are listed as discovered devices that can't be placed on the map - does that mean they're not connecting?
    >
    >- all 3 devices have no problem connecting to the internet (xbox live works fine)
    >
    >- my router is an apple airport express (my roommates use macs), the adjustable settings are all very basic. Nothing there regarding multicasting...
    >
    >

Barb Bowman

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:18 AM