none
HP Laserjet 4000 on Windows 7

Question

• Hi, MVP here... Anyway, I have a question that is bothering me. I have Windows 7 64-bit on my new machine, with no LPT port. I have a LPT to USB cable. I go to add the printer, USB001, have the proper drivers, etc. Printer successfully installs. I go to print a testpage - computer then prints out 20 pages of garbage. Is it a bad cable? The printer is HP Laserjet 4000. I am using the latest drivers, etc. And obviously the printer can talk to the computer. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:30 AM

Answers

• Use the driver from Windows Update.  But this sounds more like a cable issue unless the Universal driver does not support the 4000.

Add the printer driver to the machine before connecting the printer

launch printui /s /t2, Add, Next, x64 type 3, Next, Windows Update,.....wait for it, HP, HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6, Next, Finish.

Delete the other printer and any software you added for the device.  Unplug the cable and reboot the machine.

Logon, plug in USB cable that is connected to parallel conversion cable.  The device should be added automatically.  If not I suggest another cable.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    • Marked as answer by Bob SteinMVP Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Guess what, all! It was the cord. New cord came today and it worked perfectly. HP 4000 PCL6. Thanks for your help. So, when all else fails. Try a new cord! First time I had a cord problem like that.
    • Marked as answer by Bob SteinMVP Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:35 PM
    Friday, March 04, 2011 11:42 PM

All replies

• Are you using the Windows 7 drivers, or did you get the universal ones from HP? Have you tried each of the available ones- PCL5, PCL6, and PS? One may work where the others don't.

SC Tom

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:40 AM
  • If you are using the PS driver and the PS SIMM module is NOT installed, I would expect exactly what you describe.  If you did not pay extra for the device, the PS module is most likely not installed.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:12 AM
  • tried the PCL6 drivers from HP.....universal. I will try the other two, I didnt try 5 or PS...
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Use the driver from Windows Update.  But this sounds more like a cable issue unless the Universal driver does not support the 4000.

Add the printer driver to the machine before connecting the printer

launch printui /s /t2, Add, Next, x64 type 3, Next, Windows Update,.....wait for it, HP, HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6, Next, Finish.

Delete the other printer and any software you added for the device.  Unplug the cable and reboot the machine.

Logon, plug in USB cable that is connected to parallel conversion cable.  The device should be added automatically.  If not I suggest another cable.

• Marked as answer by Bob SteinMVP Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Alan,

I did all those steps, but when I plug back in the USB cable....the only thing that shows up is the IEEE-1284 controller, not the printer. I removed all other HP driver and driver package software you had specified...

Thanks!!

Bob

Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:33 PM
  • HP has an automatic driver finder tool on the home page. Go there and use it.

First remove all existing drivers before using the HP tool.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:16 PM
  • I've only had luck with Belkin cables but there many more on the market now.   I'd start with a different cable.  HP might be able to suggest one for their hardware.
    Friday, March 04, 2011 12:50 AM
  • What are do connecting to the printer with?

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, March 04, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Still no luck. I got the current LPT-USB cable on ebay. It was very cheap, so it could be the problem. I am receiving a new cable tomorrow. I will give you all an update when I get it.

Friday, March 04, 2011 3:32 AM
  • So there is no USB on your printer?

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Friday, March 04, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Guess what, all! It was the cord. New cord came today and it worked perfectly. HP 4000 PCL6. Thanks for your help. So, when all else fails. Try a new cord! First time I had a cord problem like that.
    • Marked as answer by Bob SteinMVP Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:35 PM
    Friday, March 04, 2011 11:42 PM
  • That is rare to see a bad cable but I have seen my share of them.

Friday, March 04, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Mr Bob Stein, Thankyou for this tip, I have been trying to get an old HP Laserjet 4000 to work with my new windows 7 for months now, I followd your advice and had it working in 10 mins.

Thank you again

Chris Cowley

Finland

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:34 AM