none
U3 devices on Windows 7 beta

Question

• Having recently upgraded my Vista machine to Windows 7 beta, I can't get my U3 devices to work.

The first time I plug one of them in it installs the drivers OK and reports that it is ready to work.  On subsequent occasions the device is recognised OK.

But as soon as I try to launch the "LaunchU3.exe" programme, I get a box which tells me:

"Windows has allocated a drive letter to the U3 drive that is already
    taken by another drive on your machine or there are no more drive letters
    available on this machine."

Neither of the above applies.  I only have drives 5 logical drives B-F (and my usual U3 device is mapped to drives T: and U:).  I've experimented with allocating various different drive letters with the same result every time.

I have tried with a SanDisk cruzer micro 2.0GB, a SanDisk cruzer Titanium 4GB and a Toshiba smart U3 2GB with the same result in each case despite a variety of different default drive assignments.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:48 PM

Answers

• @mousebotherer,

I've also workedarounded the compatibility with my SanDisk Cruzer Micro and Titanium U3 devices and Win 7. No joy at the moment. Fortunatly I have XP to remove the password.
    But you might go to Sandisk website and see their forum.
    http://communities.sandisk.com/sandisk/board?board.id=u3
    you could find it very helpful.

I'm going to do with what it is recommended there.
    I hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by ptiote Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:17 AM
    Friday, April 03, 2009 2:36 PM

All replies

• Are you running the U3 program in compatibility mode?
    • Proposed as answer by ptiote Friday, April 03, 2009 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:24 PM
  • @mousebotherer,

I've also workedarounded the compatibility with my SanDisk Cruzer Micro and Titanium U3 devices and Win 7. No joy at the moment. Fortunatly I have XP to remove the password.
    But you might go to Sandisk website and see their forum.
    http://communities.sandisk.com/sandisk/board?board.id=u3
    you could find it very helpful.

I'm going to do with what it is recommended there.
    I hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by ptiote Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:17 AM
    Friday, April 03, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hi Mousebotherer,

You should go to SanDisk and see their forum. I've repaired my keys with their utilities and now they work fine on my Win 7. No error and the image of my device is in the Device Manager. Fun.
    There's an update of U3Launcher for VISTA to download and to install in compatibility mode for Vista.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Hi ptiote!
    I have the same problem as mousebotherer, and contacted Sandisk support in the matter. They say that the don't have a fix for the problem, and that Windows 7  is supposed to be compatible with U3 smart.

ptiote: Which "keys" did You repair and how?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:25 PM
  • I got it to work by unistalling drivers for both diskdrive and virtual cd. 
    When I reinserted U3 smart drive the U3 launher worked just fine!
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:58 PM
  • But after next boot the problem came back, and now I can't get rid of it. Solution, anyone?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:15 AM
  • I have been to the SANDISK Site.  They do NOT say there is a Fix.  The Compatibility mode DOES NOT Work.  It is EXACTLY as stated here.

When I tried the upgrade of the software to the newer VISTA Compatible version which was installed previously it crapped out mid reinstall and killed my U3 Drive.

This sucks.

I can not believe that NO ONE has ever seen this and not made it work.

I had backed this up but the back up is just a copy.  IT is NOT reinstallable.  There were HOURS of configuration the U3 Start Pad.  This Is F*$ked.

The descriptions here are perfect.  This is exactly what I am seeing.

You people that say it is working for you, exactly which compatibility mode are you using and exactly which model of the Sandisk U3 Drive are you using?

I have the Cruzer Titatium 2.0 GB Drive.

I am on the most recent download of th Windows 7 RC as of yesterday.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:39 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with several different U3 sticks - different versions of launchpad. The only thing I have to add is that I'm running the 64-bit version of the Win-7 RC
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:24 AM
  • I was having the same issues, I have a locked U3 drive and could not get it to load corectly on Windows 7. I then went into compatibility mode, and set it to
    Vista SP2 for all users. I put the drive in, and it works just fine again.

Hope that helps someone out..

Mike

• Proposed as answer by welsh4eva Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:31 PM
  • I was having the same issues, I have a locked U3 drive and could not get it to load corectly on Windows 7. I then went into compatibility mode, and set it to

Mike

works perfectly thanxs for the help
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:23 PM

Mike

works perfectly thanxs for the help
    works perfeclte here too :) thankz.
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 10:53 AM
  • Tried all this - still doesn't work
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:41 AM
  • which version of windows 7 are you running?

It works well with windows 7 Professional 64bit.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Version 6.1 Build 7100 - 32Bit
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:23 PM

Mike

This worked for me too.
    • Proposed as answer by Chris Jabre Monday, August 15, 2011 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:04 PM
  • When you say you went into compatibility mode and set it to Vista SP2, what did you set - he launcher app on the USB key or something else?  How do you go into compatibility mode?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Never mind!  I right clicked on the launchU3.exe app on the USB key, selected properties, then compatibility and set it to Vista SP2.  It works fine now!
    Thanks!
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:38 PM
  • tq so much for you solution......

that is the best solution.....

thanks

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Thank you ladies and Gentlemen I've been searching for a fix like for ever.......
    Monday, April 04, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Error:Windows has allocated a drive letter to the U3 drive that is already taken by another drive on your machine or there are no more drive letters available on this machine.  Try disconnecting any network drives that you have connected to your computer and restart U3 by double-clicking LaunchU3.exe or the U3 System CD-ROM icon.  Once the U3 Launchpad is running, you can reconnect the network drives,(I am the administrator).

I may have an answer for this issue.I downloaded and ran as administrator a free utility call "usbdeview".  It allow me to see all of my usb device.  I used it to uninstall all devices that were not currently connected to my computer.  I also uninstall some of the generic usb hubs it was showing.  After rescanning for hardware change and after unplugging and replugging my usbkeyboard back in I was able to get the U3 launcher on my cruzer to work correctly.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Also one last thing to add in is that I am NOT running this in compatiblity mode.  It running in straight Windows 7 64bit mode.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Thanks Mike! Very helpful and it worked for me
    Monday, August 15, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Thanks Mike! After Many years still its the best option under Windows 8.1 too!

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:13 PM