none
BOOTMGR IS MISSING ON WINDOWS 7

Question

• I try to recovery windows 7 in a brand new computer but it shows a black screen that saids "BOOTMGR is missing  press ctrl-alt + delect to restart"
    I'll done that but nothing happen and after it, shows the same thing, "BOOTMGR is missing  press ctrl-alt + delect to restart" and nothing happen.

Monday, March 15, 2010 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Jerry,

Please try the following suggestions to see if the issue can be resolved:

Method 1:

======

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1.     Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2.     When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3.     Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".

4.     Click "Repair your computer".

5.     Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click "Next".

6.     On the System Recovery Options menu, click "Startup Repair". Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Method 2:

======

1.     Boot from WINDOWS 7 DVD.

2.     Select "Repair computer".

3.     Select "Cancel" to exit the repair wizard.

4.     You will now get a screen which displays 'command prompt', 'system restore', 'memory diagnostics', etc…

5.     Select "command prompt".

6.     Type your "DVD-DRIVE LETTER" in command prompt, press ENTER.

7.     Now if your Windows 7 is installed in C drive, type "copy bootmgr c:\" without codes, press ENTER.

8.     After successful copy type "exit" without codes, press ENTER.

9.     Reboot computer.

10.  Select "start windows normally".

Please check if the issue can be resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 22, 2010 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Jerry,

Method 1:

======

2.     When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

6.     On the System Recovery Options menu, click "Startup Repair". Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Method 2:

======

4.     You will now get a screen which displays 'command prompt', 'system restore', 'memory diagnostics', etc…

7.     Now if your Windows 7 is installed in C drive, type "copy bootmgr c:\" without codes, press ENTER.

9.     Reboot computer.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 22, 2010 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:58 AM
  • When I reach step 7 in method 2, it says access denied and stops. How can I overcome this?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Thanks Linda it worked out.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 6:16 AM
  • I am having the same issue but on a netbook (no DVD drive) with Win7 recovery on a HDD partition.  Is there a way to fix this using a backup partition instead of the DVD?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

To fix BOOTMGR missing file problem open your antivirus software program and run a full scan on your computer.

When the scan is complete delete all quarantined and infected files.

Then insert the Windows 7 installation CD into your computer’s drive and restart the computer.

After the reboot open the command prompt and type fixboot.

Then press ‘y’ when a pop up box appears asking you for confirmation.

Then it will automatically solve the boot problem and you should be taken to your desktop.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 12:44 PM
  • I try to recovery windows 7 in a brand new computer but it shows a black screen that saids "BOOTMGR is missing  press ctrl-alt + delect to restart"
    I'll done that but nothing happen and after it, shows the same thing, "BOOTMGR is missing  press ctrl-alt + delect to restart" and nothing happen.

Same here its an Aspire 5733Z-4477 Intel Pentium P6200 BRAND NEW!  Crashed while helping this one, my HP netbook recover and take on a Maleware object.  Its screen can be identified as a HD LED LCD WITH HD Graphics. 
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi! Thomas, while your method may sound good, it is impossible since with bootmgr missing you can not log into any windows program to ghet to your anti virus or any other file in your system. I have been fighting with this prblem and have come to the conclusion it's time for a new PC and defiantly will never be another Hewlette Packard 
    Monday, January 02, 2012 9:17 PM
  • I am having the same problem PLEASE PLEASE HELP im getting really frustrated now ive been trying to do this for over two weeks. wish i had stuck to my mac
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi Linda

Thanks for the advice it worked fine.

Thought I had trouble getting there due to certain configuration on my computer.

I want to explain this so that other wont make the mistake I avoided just by a faction of a keystroke.

I nearly formated my data drive because Win had not found any OS and i was going to proced with a full instal.

I have 5 Hard Drives on my computer and they are of different types , IDE and SATA.

There are 2 IDE drive that are on the motherboard IDE line, 2 IDE drive that have converters to SATA and one SATA drive

My Win 7 instalation is on the sata drive, the others are for Data and Backups.

Thing is no matter what you have as a boot sequence in your Bios, when you boot from the Win 7 CD it will create a list of drives on your system and it wont be in the same order as your bios or even anything you expect.

Win 7 will start out with the IDE drives first and then The SATA drives and there is no garanty that your C drive will be the first one.

This is most important if in method 1 Win does not find a drive with a Win instalation, this is probely due to the fact Win is looking at the wrong drive and this becomes even more critical for method 2 because you would be copying the file to the wrong drive and that wont help.

So my way of getting around this was to unplug the power to all the other drives leaving just the drive with my Win 7 instalation, even thought it did not find an Os on the drive I did use the repair function and it was able to fix the problem of the no BOOTMGR error.

This way your are sure of 2 things, One you will be working on one drive only ,Two you wont erase any data off the wrong drive if you hit the wrong button or choose the wrong option.

Too make sure you are on the right drive if you cant figure out what drive is the right one.

When you get to STEP 6 of Methode 2 type "c:dir" and see if you reconize the c drive files, if you see the files of your other drives then you got the wrong drive, shutdown the comp and unplug that drive and plug in the next one and go throught method 2 again until of find the right one.

Hope this will help someone

Snowblower

Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:21 PM
  • What do you do if you do not have the windows 7 dvd. The computer is 3 years odl, and I don't know where the dvd is. One day teh computer crashed, and had a blue screen saying something about the bios. It was working finde a few days later. then it did it a few more tiems, so I figured it was going to die pretty soon. i backed up my data, and attempted to do a system restore to factory defaults, After it went through all the steps, I got ab lack screen that said "BOORMNGR ERROR press CNTRL ALT DELETE". When I did this, teh computer appears to be restarting, but goes back to teh BOOTMNGR message. Is there any way to save this laptop?
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Have a similar problem that the answers above did not correct. I have a laptop where the OS is installed on a SSD and I am receiving the "
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:06 PM
  • I am currently attempting to fix this problem as well. on a Wndows 7 system Unfortunately, when I attempt the command line COPY as described above, I get a message that I am not authorized to do this.  Not sure what I may have done wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated.

OS and apps are installed on a SSD.  Data on Second HDD

Typical Software load:  Office apps, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, TK Solver, etc...

Sincerely,

kevin

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

Method 1:

======

Method 2:

======

9.     Reboot computer.

Regards,

Linda

Thanks Dear, Its Helpfull

Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Hi Linda,

I have tried this, but message  comes back "access denied" 0 file copied????

The source disk is a volume install disk for multiple PC's - should this matter?

I have tried numerous others suggestions to no avail.

thanks,

Lucidoobe.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:08 AM