none
Your computer is running low on memory. Quit other programs, and then try again.

Question

• Installed Vista Beta 2 clean on two systems, one a Dell system, the other with an Intel motherboard.

Tried to play a DVD with Windows Media Player 11; get "Your computer is running low on memory. Quit other programs, and then try again."

One system has 1gb or memory, the other has 2gb of memory and no other applications were running at the time.

Clicking "Web Help" produces a form displaying "You've encountered error message C00D11C6 while using Windows Media Player. Additional information is not currently available for this error."

No help there. (But there is a programmer somewhere in the world who knows what caused the error message, because he is the one who assigned the error message code. He was just too lazy, or stupid to provide an explanation for the error.)

If WMP 11 won't run under Vista on two clean installs on two different systems, one a Dell system and the other a system using an Intel motherboard, I would guess that WMP 11 will see lots more trouble.

(BTW, there may not be thousands of users experiencing this problem - yet, but a quick search of the web disclosed that several others have encountered this same problem. However, a less than quick search didn't disclose any solution.)

Thursday, January 04, 2007 8:34 PM

All replies

• Ok, so here is the only way I have found to fix this, and this is ridiculous I know, but try setting your system clock back to the month before this started happening. I saw this posted as a suggested fix and thought to myself "thats so completely silly". But lo and behold my problems started as of Jan 1st 2007. I set the clock back to Dec 2006, opened a DVD in WMP 11 and it played perfectly. Now I am hitting myself over the head trying to figure out what the heck the permanent fix is.

By the way, you wouldnt happen to be running Trend Micro PC CillinInternet Security 14 Beta for Vista would you? I have it and its updates expired Dec 31st. Hmmm.

Ansantari

<<<<Installed Vista Beta 2 clean on two systems, one a Dell system, the other with an Intel motherboard.

Tried to play a DVD with Windows Media Player 11; get "Your computer is running low on memory. Quit other programs, and then try again."

One system has 1gb or memory, the other has 2gb of memory and no other applications were running at the time.

Clicking "Web Help" produces a form displaying "You've encountered error message C00D11C6 while using Windows Media Player. Additional information is not currently available for this error."

No help there. (But there is a programmer somewhere in the world who knows what caused the error message, because he is the one who assigned the error message code. He was just too lazy, or stupid to provide an explanation for the error.)

If WMP 11 won't run under Vista on two clean installs on two different systems, one a Dell system and the other a system using an Intel motherboard, I would guess that WMP 11 will see lots more trouble.

(BTW, there may not be thousands of users experiencing this problem - yet, but a quick search of the web disclosed that several others have encountered this same problem. However, a less than quick search didn't disclose any solution.)>>>>>

Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:34 AM
  • David,

Did you have a chance to test this out on Windows Vista RTM? As ansanter has alluded, this bug may have already been fixed in the shipping version and Beta 2 has a limited test period before it is set to expire.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 2:20 PM
  • I too was having that error code show up in wmp. The first time that I noticed it was today. I read your fix (changed the clock back to Dec.) and it worked. The funny thing is that I also was running Trend Micro IS14 beta. My version of vista is 5744. I am going to look into this deeper. Sounds to me that it was the IS14 expiring that did it.
    Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:16 PM
  • I am going to completely uninstall the pccillin beta and see if the error still comes up. The thing has expired anyway. Anyone have any other suggestions as to what antivirus to use for Vista, though I guess thats a post all on its own. Oh, and I am using RC2 Build 5744.

Cheers
    Saturday, January 13, 2007 4:16 AM
  • This has nothing to do with pccillin beta, I do not have it installed at all.  I have been getting this problem from time to time I have found that if I just do a system reboot that it will go away.  But for some reason it keeps coming back.  I have been playing around and still have not yet to figure this out.  But I know for me a restart will fix it I have not tried setting the date back thought it is driving me insane though.
    Monday, January 15, 2007 12:17 AM
  • Have given up with vista and gone back to xp until tried and tested software have been resolved

Thanks for all the replies, Reading reports on all vista compliant PC's and laptops for media use

Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Had the same problem with WinXP and last WMP version. I installed divx from divx.com and then the problem was gone...but I had the problem with playing divx's, didn't try DVD
    Monday, January 29, 2007 8:18 PM
  • So I've had this same problem for the last 3 months, with both Vista Beta and a clean install of Vista RTM. I've tried every recommendation listed on the web: set the clock back, install an additional encoder, etc..

None of these have worked.
    I would expect a solution to the problem from MS. Even my PC at work has the same problem but my laptop doesn't (it's strange)

Does anyone have a known resolution for this issue? I'm losing serious cred with the family since we can't even play a DVD on this computer now...it's pathetic.

Thanks

Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:24 PM
  • I have been having the same problem. I have RC-1 installed and the setting back the date does allow DVD's to play. I will getting the retail version this week. I really glad I found this solution. I thought I was going to have to replace my DVD. Thanks for the post.

Willjam

Oklahoma City, OK

Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:29 PM
  • I have the same error code on a PC with a AMD board & ATI X700 video, running XP Media Center 2005 & Media Player 10.  It happens only playing some AVI files, and not on others.

Friday, March 23, 2007 10:33 PM
  • After installing the RTM version of Vista Ultimate, I no longer have this problem.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:46 PM
  • omg, I've been having this problem for months with vista beta 2, and winding the clock back fixes it?

is this truly a bug...or some sort of sneaky 'expiry' of vista beta versions...

Monday, April 09, 2007 1:39 PM
  • I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit Full OEM version (not beta), and I have this problem.

Task Manager showing 792Mb Used, with 2Gb physical memory. ( with Pagefile : 815M/4311M )

Have partitioned 120Gb disc to 60Gb each partition, each with over 30Gb free space.

Tried chaning the date, but it doesn't solve it for me.

So many problems wih Vista, it's unusable.  (Even basic moving & copying files isn't working right!)

I've reverted back to XP, Vista has been a totally a waste of time - the amount of times I had to re-install the whole thing! (I hear also Dell has stopped phasing out XP & started to sell more New Computers with XP due to demand... wonder why!)

Luckily my machine is dual booting, so I'll try Vista when SP1 is released (maybe).

Tak.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:22 AM
  • Tak, as I posted before, the problem that I had was related to running a beta version of Vista so changing the date as suggested in the post would not solve your problem. BTW the memory problem in this instance was isolated to WMP 11. I now have the released version of Vista and have not had any memory problems . You did not post what the configuration of your system which I suggest you do. I would also start a new thread identitying what problems you are having. I'm sure you will get responses that will solve the problems that you are having.

My personal experience with Vista Ultimate has been positive. I'm running it on a Dell 8400. I did install a new video card and upgraded my memory to 2 gig. This was a personal choice. My machine was running fine without these upgrades.

Bill J.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 3:28 AM
  • I just purcahsed a brand new dell dimension with intel core 2 Duo 2 Gig ram and running a media player prompts an error of low memory.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:19 AM
  • This problem is not isolated to vista or media player 11.

I have 3 XP Pro machines this is happening on and 1 of them had media player 10.

I welcome any help provided

Friday, May 18, 2007 3:52 PM
  • I also have xp on my machine and it has been doing this for around a week now.  Have you heard any fix-it solutions yet?  I downloaded a real player and I can use that, but most things i want to play need wmp.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:29 PM
  • You Will need a new DVD Decoder, the decoder that comes with Vista has expirated
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:20 PM
  • This may sound silly but where do I get that? I see hundreds of results when I search google and I would like to get the right one the first time without the extra spyware.
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:53 PM
  • I know this may sound strange, but I am one of the XP users that has been having trouble with this error message in (media player mostly) as well.  I have tried everything including setting my date to October 2006.  I discovered today that all I had to do to fix this is go to windowsmediaplayer.com and download media player 11 all over again.... Everthing works fine now..... Weird
    Friday, June 08, 2007 6:06 PM
  • I am getting this error message on an HP tx 1000 with Vista preinstalled. Nothing fancy, just the standard installation. Last night WMP played fine, this AM I can't get a simple playlist to start- no DVDs involved. There is not a real memory issue; Sidebar gadget shows only 40% of my 2gb used, and I have a 1gb flash drive installed for ReadyBoost. I haven't tried the date change fix, largely because it would hose some needed programs.

There are no issues here with expired codecs or beta versions. I'll try downloading WMP11 again, but it seems quite bizarre that this problem should continue to exist after all these posts. If someone figures out the real underlying problem, I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I hadn't realized that Media Player (11) WinXP would play Flash Video (eg.FLV file from You Tube) if a link is found to a "raw" FLV file.

Just for fun, I tried pasting a YouTube link into Media Player - File - Open URL ...
    I wasn't surprised it didn't work but getting this error (Web Help reports it as: "8007000E Ran out of memory.") seems kind of silly.

Oh well.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 7:18 AM
  • Hi I actually get that message from downloading a direct anime file to windows media player 11 is there anyway to fix this problem other than the clock thing you had?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:16 AM
  • It happened to me today. Im running Windows XP. Tried to tune into a radio station with Windows media and the erroe message appears EVEN WITH NO OTHER APPLICATION running. Yesterday it worked perfectly with lots of other stuff running at the same time.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:11 PM
  • well hi guys just thought id add to this i dont know wat the cure is but i do know where the problem comes from.....

step forward MR BILL GATES i run xp sp2 pro full and low and behold it comes in another update from microsoft it did at begining of year they sorted it and now on 26th december 2007 nearly a year later they done it again

only cure again i can find is take of there wunderfull splendid this will realy improve wmp update and problem gone

isnt bill great isnt there fast enuff take up in vista so we try to rebust xp with problems that were solved a year ago

i hope this helps one and all and remember whos making all the money out of these fixes oh yes the same ones that bust it yet again   

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:48 AM
  • hi

i was also having the same problem. i just uninstalled(should not disable) my sound driver and restarted the computer.when it restarted,windows automatically installed new sound driver and it worked

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:58 AM
  • my computer is new,  and it did not run some DVD's fresh out of the box,  how can changing the date help

Friday, May 02, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Alec, this problem pertained to the beta versions of Vista. There was a disconnect between the release of WMP 11 beta and the beta version expired causing it not to operate. So the problem you are having is probably not related to the original post. You did not state what operating system you are using and what type of CDs you are attempting to play. Also are you using WMP or some other player?

Bill

Saturday, May 03, 2008 2:09 AM
  • Hi i have just purchased a new hp dv6724 and have this problem  i have not loaded anything yet so bog stock install exept for al the updates looking at all the forums it appears that a few thousand people with the same problem is not enough for Bill to get his geeks to provide a fix

Saturday, May 03, 2008 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

Do this:

start>CMD(search here box)> right click CMD> run as administrator> regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll  [enter]

should get message" dll regn succeeded"

close WMP and reopen.. enjoy!!!
    • Proposed as answer by jim136 Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:56 AM
    Friday, May 16, 2008 10:04 AM
  •  John McG wrote:

It happened to me today. Im running Windows XP. Tried to tune into a radio station with Windows media and the erroe message appears EVEN WITH NO OTHER APPLICATION running. Yesterday it worked perfectly with lots of other stuff running at the same time.

Had exactly the same problem! The only difference is my computer is running Windows Vista. However it happens only with some radio stations.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Thank you so much
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:35 PM
  • same problem setting date back did not work I tried too preview a download on limewire and got the same message.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:00 PM
  • I have a hp dx2200 business computer.  I have 1.5 ddr ram 3 harddrives not even half full with a total of 1.6 terrabyes with 1 hd 750gb, 1hd 250gb, and the original one hd 160gb.  I have no other programs running. I reset the date it does not help.  I am running xp professional.I am also using windows media player 11.  Any more bright ideas? I am out.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:08 PM
  •  David Pearson wrote:

Installed Vista Beta 2 clean on two systems, one a Dell system, the other with an Intel motherboard.

(BTW, there may not be thousands of users experiencing this problem - yet, but a quick search of the web disclosed that several others have encountered this same problem. However, a less than quick search didn't disclose any solution.)

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 2:37 PM
  •  David Pearson wrote:

Installed Vista Beta 2 clean on two systems, one a Dell system, the other with an Intel motherboard.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 2:38 PM
  •  

Hi all,

sorry i am late to update this.

I found a resolution for media player streaming issue.

if you get the following error message when you play onlne radio or any kind of streaming with WMP11 vista (SP1 also),

this will work.

"Your computer is running low on memory. Quit other programs, and then try again."

WMP11 >options>network>streaming proxy settings (will be blank)

Register the Wmnetmgr.dll file by using an account that is in the Administrators group. At a command prompt, run the following command.

regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:01 AM
  • i am trying to watch TV online but i get the same error message and changing the date to before i started getting this message didn't work.

is there any other solutions?

i am useing windows XP

Saturday, October 18, 2008 1:57 PM
  • I'm trying to link up my pc with a xbox 360...

the xbox tells me to go to www.xbox.com/pcsetup on my windows media center pc

I try to go but it tells me about the freaking memory

I tried that but it seemed not to work

help please

Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:43 AM
  • IT WORKED!!!!!

Thas was for neji 1 - on page 2 of this thread. Unable to post twice before - hope this works.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:54 AM
  • neji1 said:

Hi,

Do this:

start>CMD(search here box)> right click CMD> run as administrator> regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll  [enter]

should get message" dll regn succeeded"

close WMP and reopen.. enjoy!!!

IT WORKED!!! was in response to neji1's solution post. THANK YOU!!!! Also helped solve a year old problem streaming videos on certain websites. Bowing down to you in homage, neji1. (o:
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Hi neji1 what do you mean by saying '' will be blank''? you mean it should be blank? please give us some more information. :)
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Hi, My laptop is Compaq 6910p and OS is Vista 6.0, 2G memory. I encounter the same proble and it doesn't work even after I execute "regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll" in CMD as administrator.

What can I do? pls....
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Hi My laptop is Compaq 6910p and OS is Vista 6.0, 2G memory, with the same problem. the way executing "regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll" in CMD didn't work, and it promts the error code 0x8002801c as I executed "regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll". Who can help me????
    • Proposed as answer by TechMentor1 Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:40 AM
  • Had this same problem with a Windows Vista 64 system.

Here's how I fixed it.

1. Open a "Command Prompt" as Administrator (Programs->Accessories->Right Click 'Command Prompt'->Run as Administrator
    2. Copy/Paste or type the command below without quotes

"for %a in (%systemroot%\system32\wm*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %a"

3. Press Enter and let the commands process
    4. That's it you should be good.

Cause: Looks like a number of Windows Media Player dlls are not properly registered.

Cheers!
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Hi, TechMentor1,
        I have tried according to your way, but it didn't work all the same.
        Thank you anyway!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Had this same problem with a Windows Vista 64 system.

Here's how I fixed it.

1. Open a "Command Prompt" as Administrator (Programs->Accessories->Right Click 'Command Prompt'->Run as Administrator
    2. Copy/Paste or type the command below without quotes

"for %a in (%systemroot%\system32\wm*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %a"

3. Press Enter and let the commands process
    4. That's it you should be good.

Cause: Looks like a number of Windows Media Player dlls are not properly registered.

Cheers!
    Thanks, but It didn't work :(

My fresh out of the box Acer Aspire 5730 is having the same issue as others posted here. It wont play any video files under WMP 11 in vista so I downloaded Winamp which refuses to play video files as well. The winamp forums suggest updating codecs which I did and still have no improvement (for either WMP or winamp). I suspect that it might be an issue with the video chip in some netbooks. The Acer has listed under the dispaly adapter "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family". I tried updating the drivers but windows notifies me that they are up to date.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:01 PM
  • This solution works! I can listen again to audio stream for the first time in over a year. I have spent dozens of hours researching this. I hope that others will observe this solution, instead of wasting many hours trying to uninstall Windows Media Player from Vista, or trying to re-install Vista. How do we move this solution to the top of the web page? 

Thank you Neji1 !!
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:03 AM
  • running windows vista home premium, error message came up today (cood11c6) . i couldnt play cd's, i installed media player codec pack and it fixed problem
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:34 AM
  • Thanks Wootah,

Your suggestion worked, and solved my weeks of frustration.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:21 PM
  • simply reset the task manager, to do that, follow the below steps in XP and Vista

XP :

Now please press Ctrl + Alt + Del key, so that you would get a new window named. Windows Security.

Now do you see the below tabs : for XP

Applications
    Processes
    Performance
    Networking

Vista :

Right click on task manager and select Task manager

Now do you see the below tabs : for vista
    Applications
    Processes
    Services
    Performance
    Networking
    Users

Now click on Processes Tab, then locate " explorer.exe" process and then click on End Process button.  Please do not panic, by doing this, the task manager will disappear.

Now in the same window, click on Applications Tab

Then click on New Task

In the Create New Task window, type explorer.exe

Then click Ok.

Now you should be able to see the Task manager.

• Proposed as answer by Vishwa Prasad Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:35 PM
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:15 PM
  • If problem is opening .wmv in email: Use FIREFOX! Seems problem is not the .wmv player. To prove, copy file to desktop and double-click. I believe problem is one or more versions of internet explorer. You think a solution would be out by now.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:16 PM
  • THis is to all people who have problems with watching there favorite cd dvd vcd

try downloading other players for eg. VLC media player it work for my computer i am quite sure it will work for you all

THANKS FOR READING!

by the way i am not 100% sure it will work so just try your luck or try and error

THAnk again

• Proposed as answer by kasty Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:04 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kasty Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:05 AM
    • Proposed as answer by kasty Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:07 AM
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:31 AM
  • if ur sure that u have enough physical memory to play the file, then this issue is a codec issue. and using another player such as VLC player or installing k-lite codec pack will fix the annoying message.
    • Proposed as answer by kasty Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:07 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:06 AM