none
How to Create a Bootable Recovery partition?

Question

•  

Hello everyone,

I have been desperately trying to create a hidden recovery partition that BCD will boot from without any luck. Here is my setup:

One hard drive with 2 primary partitions

One has installation of windows, other has winpe boot files with imagex to boot into a ram disk

My goal is to have an option at boot time to select the recovery partition and boot pe into a ram disk. Then use diskpart to clean the first partition and use imagex to deploy windows. Upon reboot the users windows is restored to a clean working state.

I have tried every method i could find with no luck. Google provides nothing but dead ends and i was hoping someone has a solution to my problem!

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:04 AM

All replies

• Here's a hint

- Use MDT to create a fully automated media installation (iso image)
    - copy the iso content to your second partition
    - use bcdedit to create a new boot entry

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:51 AM
  • I have done that using xcopy and robocopy. I can add the bcd line but it fails to boot

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:36 PM
  •  Thomas Milsom wrote:
    I have done that using xcopy and robocopy. I can add the bcd line but it fails to boot

What is the error?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:02 PM
  • I need a method of achieving this goal that seems common among alot of people.

Could you please list the details of the BCD boot entry that will allow PE to boot from 2nd partition. For me, it always errors out right after selecting the option in the list. Unfortunately it was somewhere around a week ago since i saw the error screen so i cant recall the exact message.

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi Thomas, I'm looking to do the same thing.  Right know I'm copying the contents of my 500GB Vista HDD & my 80GB XP HDD to a 600 GB partition on my 700GB external HDD using Vista's back up program.  While this is all well and good and relatively easy, I know it's not really what I'm after.  I really like to do things to my comp that have a tendency to f-up my mbr or otherwise screw my HDD and would like to create a OEM style utility partition that would among other things contain a restore function.  There has got to be a resource out there, a method of acheiving this that doesn't cost any money or just a little.  How do the OEM's of the world do it?

Anyone have a clue?

Chris
    Sic Semper Tyranus
    Monday, December 15, 2008 1:00 AM
  • I have had some success but have a problem.

I used MDT to create an ISO. Set the deployment task to create a bootable partition and got the iso files copied down this bit is all working OK. But when I boot to the partition it starts to boot the MDT, to the point where I get the desktop wallpaper but then reboots. I have burned the ISO to USB and booted straight to that but the same happens, anyone any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 5:45 PM
  • I found the solution to my boot issue here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2011/03/12/issue-with-mdt-2010-update-1-and-windows-aik-for-windows-7-sp1-supplement.aspx 

I found it wasnt happening on all devices just stopping the boot on some, annoying!

So then so far I have created a boot ISO from MDT 2010 and set my MDT task sequence to create a second partition, mark it as bootable and copy the ISO image to it. Currently the only way I've been able to boot to the ISO on the second partition is to use EasyBCD from Neosmart. I've extracted the ISO to the root of the second partition but cant seem to get the correct BCDEDIT settings to boot to my MDT.

• Proposed as answer by AndyAmos Friday, August 26, 2011 1:46 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Best solution to do this using MDT is solidly documented here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/cd6c95ad-1772-4020-acd0-2d95e04f42ee

Hope this helps someone as it did me.

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Hi sir,

You may consider using a software to create a partition,and you can back up your data before you delete the partition. My friend recommend me to use the Partition assistant developed by AOMEI.tech. For more specified steps please check our website.

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:44 AM