none
Windows shell common Dll has stopped working (after upgrade)

Question

• Hi, I just upgraded from vista to 7 pro, and I cannot open outlook, or access the mail applet in control panel.
    the error is not profiles dependant - I have tried several users including administrator and gat the same result.  Outlook crashes, and when I try to open mail settings in control panel, I get the fault below:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name:      rundll32.exe_shell32.dll

Application Version:   6.1.7600.16385

Application Timestamp:           4a5bc637

Fault Module Name:   ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version:            6.1.7600.16385

Fault Module Timestamp:        4a5bdadb

Exception Code:         c0000005

Exception Offset:        00051ffe

OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:      3081

Additional Information 1:         0a9e

Additional Information 2:         0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:         0a9e

Additional Information 4:         0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Anyone any ideas?  

thanks

Marcus

Monday, December 14, 2009 5:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Marcus,

I have exactly the same problem.  Windows 7 Ultimate, Microsoft Office 2007 Pro.

It was working fine, last week, but after I installed Google Sketchup, I haven't been able to access Outlook (crashes on startup, offers to start in safe mode, but fails), and I can't access the Mail applet in Control Panel/User Accounts (crashes with the same error you posted, above).

I guess that doesn't really help you, but, at least you know you aren't alone!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Hi Guys,
    I have a  similair problem and its driving me insane. New W7 pro machine connected to SBS2003 domain. Microsoft supposedly has a fix for the problem (926505), but it does not work. Mine is slightly different in that I am still able to open the mail applet, but get the above crash when I try to connect to an information store in Exchange. I am going to assume that I have an Exchange connectivity problem and see if I can get anywhere down that path. Tried uninstalling Outlook 2007 and installed 2003 to no avail. Re-creating profiles, mucking with rights and running Outlook in compatability mode so far has had no effect. Even tried disabling firewall.
    Maybe you guys should try setting Outlook to run in compatability mode for Xp Sp2 or 3. Some seem to have cured your problems with that fix. Did nothing for me unfortunately.

Good luck

'nother Kevin
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Esperance IT Monday, December 21, 2009 12:23 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:31 PM
  • If the configurations of any antivirus are incorrect, the antivirus program can cause this kind of issues. You may temporary disable the installed antivirus and check the result.

If the issue persists, please disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:
    1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Hit the nail on the head there Darren.   Unninstalled CA and now the laptop boots faster and outlook works fine !    What is strange is that there were no error logs I could see that pointed to this being the problem.

Thanks very much
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:25 AM
  • I am having the same error message when trying to add a default PST file for Outlook.  I followed your steps but still getting the error.  I was using the trail version of Office 2007 (which worked fine) and now I uninstalled it to install my Office XP and now I get the error.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Hi Marcus,

In my case it was an antivirus program causing the problem as described elsewhere in this post. If you are using CA; I seem to recall that they released a patch to fix the problem - good luck trying to find it on CA's site.

To start with, I would probably first check that all updates (win7 and office) are up to date. If so, try disabling all antivirus AND/OR antispyware programs and see if that  makes any difference. If that also does not work (I am guessing that you did an In-Place upgrade), I would probably be thinking about re-installing office and also checking if there is any suspect software that you may have had installed in your Vista setup. Windows 7 upgrade advisor is pretty good about telling you if there is any suspect software, did you uninstall any such programs as advised?

Good Luck

Kevin

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Sorry Larycel, I replied to the wrong post. Ignore what I said earlier. Others managed to get around your problem by setting Outlook to run in XP compatability mode (right click on the outlook.exe file), make sure you do it for all users though.

Cheers, Kevin

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:05 PM