none
Windows 7 not installing due to error code 0x80070017

Question

• It keeps saying "Windows cannot install the required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017" The system I have is 80gig system drive with a 160 & 250 archive drives. Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3600+ 2.01Ghz, 2.5 gigs ram, and Windows XP Pro. I'm soing a clean install (on a freshly formatted spare 80gig drive) as well. Any thoughts to help correct this?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• Success!!!! (so far..)

I found that by copying all of my files from a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate DVD onto a 4gb USB drive and then from there doing an upgrade that it seems to work.

Steps:
    * Copy DVD contents directly to a USB drive.
    * Put the USB drive in the computer to be upgraded / installed
    * Run the install from the USB drive.

I don't know WHY this works, but one major thing I notice is file transfer rate. My DVD drive transfer was much slower than the USB drive (which is to be expected). I also had no problems copying these files to the laptop file system.

Please try something like this and let us know how it works.
    Jason
    • Proposed as answer by JasonIpock Friday, August 07, 2009 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:58 AM
    Friday, August 07, 2009 6:59 PM

All replies

• Try downloading and reburning the ISO at the slowest speed.
    Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 8gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.7 Please return to forum and post your results.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:57 PM
  • I'm having this problem as well - HP Touchsmart PC (Laptop / Tablet). This has happened with 3 different downloads / 3 different ISO Burns.

I'll try snifferpro's advice on reburning the ISO at a slow rate and see what happens.
    Friday, August 07, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Sorry, this has not been successful and I am currently unable to install due to the error code in the subject line. 

I am running an touchSmart PC (Laptop/Tablet model). 4Gb RAM, AMD Turion x64. This is the standard model purchased in a Frys / Bestbuy.

I have attempted numerous burns (at slow speeds) with verification steps afterwards. This happens with both Windows 7 Ultimate / Enterprise x64.

I have downloaded using the Download manager at Akamai, AND MSDN, and have burned each image at least twice. I have accessed the website using a 32 bit browser.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

EDIT - I have confirmed the CRC / SHA1 Hash values.

Jason
    Friday, August 07, 2009 6:00 PM
  • That refers to a read error from optical media. When you burn the .iso make sure the software has a "verify" feature.
    A free burn program IMGBURN (search the internet) will compare the burned image to the source image bit for bit and tell you if the disk is an exact duplicate with no errors.
    Friday, August 07, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Thanks, however, if you see my last comment, you'll see "I have attempted numerous burns (at slow speeds) with verification steps afterwards". I was told it was a match, and I have confirmed the CRC / SHA1 from MSDN website.

Jason
    Friday, August 07, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I overlooked that part but I was replying to the OP as well. Are you using the same dvd drive to load as you did to burn?

• Edited by ONE ZERO Friday, August 07, 2009 7:13 PM
    Friday, August 07, 2009 6:36 PM
  • No problem.

No, I'm not using the same DVD drive, however, both DVD drives are fairly recent (the laptop is brand new).

Also - I attempted to copy all of the files from the DVD to a local folder and try to upgrade from there. It kept choking on "install.wim". Not sure if it's related, but it kept saying it couldn't copy it.

Jason
    Friday, August 07, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Success!!!! (so far..)

I found that by copying all of my files from a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate DVD onto a 4gb USB drive and then from there doing an upgrade that it seems to work.

Steps:
    * Copy DVD contents directly to a USB drive.
    * Put the USB drive in the computer to be upgraded / installed
    * Run the install from the USB drive.

I don't know WHY this works, but one major thing I notice is file transfer rate. My DVD drive transfer was much slower than the USB drive (which is to be expected). I also had no problems copying these files to the laptop file system.

Please try something like this and let us know how it works.
    Jason
    • Proposed as answer by JasonIpock Friday, August 07, 2009 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale QiaoModerator Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:58 AM
    Friday, August 07, 2009 6:59 PM
  • its a problem.

mes like thre a problem with the download of the iso. i dont if there cuissue with the iso itself, or waht.

i've gotten the iso downloaded twice on to different computer, 2 different os, and burned in 2 different iso burns. im not sure what the problem is?
    yes in each case, the burner burned and verfied the iso, and used and the install was trid from that burner. the difference in the two the error said before on the second one.
    Friday, August 07, 2009 8:19 PM
  • will here the update.

i was able to get the win7 rtm installed, but but not without trying a differnt way, and in the end proably going to be the better way anyway. i tried once more follwing the presaid mehtods, but that wast working, not even the usb way, (proably my doing there), so started agian, but in instead of trying to do it as an upgrade of vista or out of the rc to start the clean install the way it seems to work at least in my case is go back vista, and do a clean install into a new partition. its a pain, but its working. 

the only issue i had before when i tried the rc and istall the case even more so in the rtm is my bluetooth stuff working. the keybard i finally did after finding the old drivers, off the vender website, but right now i'm still having issues with my belkin wriles usb adpater, i get it working, as i did before, but i'm not sure what idid in the rc to get it working. 

we'll see.  
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Thought it worth resurrecting this thread to recount an experience I had today - which was that the cause of the problem was a DVD that had rather too much sticky dirt on it!

Cleaned the disc and, bingo!, all good to go.

Bob C
    Friday, March 05, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I was having the same problem installing windows 7 on toshiba. Im now trying the usb boot disc will update when Im done.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 3:56 PM
  • it is your dvd change it the will fix your problem

i had the same problem i had to replace my sata cable and i used a differet dvd

and here im windows 7

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:23 PM