none
Problem with sharing a UMTS connection with WIFi Users

Question

• Dear all,

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to share a UMTS connection with WiFi users (I suspect due to security setting). The basic set-up is a pair of identical Fujitsu Celsius Mobile running Windows 7 Professional SP1.

The straightforward approach to connection sharing works perfectly for sharing the connection by the Ethernet adapter: if I connect the second laptop to the host laptop by an Ethernet cable it can happily navigate through the internet.

Then I configure the host computer to share its UMTS connection with the Wireless adapter and create an ad-hoc network, everything seems to work fine on the host: the interface get a apparently good configuration  (IP 192.168.137.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0). After I connect some devices to the wireless network shows that the ad-hoc network is connected to the internet.

Yet the second laptop cannot connect to the wireless network. I have tried to connect also a Airbook and an iPhone. They successfully authenticated themselves to the network but don't get the right IP. They can't get the right IP.

Our computers are locked down so the Windows firewall is in white-list mode but ICS and Core Networking have been enabled, as well as iCSI and  Network Discovery (on private as the wifi is set to work on the host computer). I also enabled the inbound and outbound firewall rules for wireless devices (UPnP, SSDP).

Any suggestion?

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:21 PM

Answers