none
Verizon Pantech UM175 Driver: How to install on Win 7

General discussion

• If you have the UM175 sold by Verizon, you can get it to work with Win7 by following this procedure:

1. Install the VZ Access Manager UM175 application available at www.vzam.net. Click thru all screens. You will get a small msg box that says "OS not Supported". Close the app. The Pantech UM175 drivers will not be installed successfully. You can confirm this in Device Manager.

2. Go to Program folder where VZ Access folder is intalled and open the Drivers folder.

3. Right click on the Setup.exe and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility.

4. Select either Vista or Win XP as the target.

5. Finally, click on the Setup.exe and it will successfully install the UM175 drivers.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:01 PM

All replies

• Worked for me!

And this is the same problem that vexed me when I started using Vista - RTM - and Verizon failed to upgrade their drivers for about a year. It was painful, and I ended up going without mobile wireless for a while until the dust settled and the carriers started providing Vista drivers. 

Thank you MSFT for providing better compatability in Windows 7 with the Pantech UM175. And thanks to this writer for providing such clear instructions - I was up and running in 2 minutes!
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Thank you!  Worked like a charm.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:43 PM
  • This worked like a charm, thank you.  Have sent information onto Verizon Wireless' tech support line.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:59 PM
  • This did not work for me.  I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong .  Any help would be GREAT !  Thx.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Nevermind - It works Thanks !!!!
    Friday, October 02, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Thank you... thank you!  Our Win 7 install was flawless until we tried to access the net via Verizon broadband.  Your post has saved the day.

Cheers
    MD
    Monday, October 05, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Add one more THANK YOU!!! to your list. You made my day!

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:15 PM
  • I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the VZ Access manager (v 7.0.6.9), and apparently, there is not a Drivers folder anymore. I did get the "OS not Supported" message, but no Drivers folder within the VZ Access folder.
    I've ran the setup in compatibility mode for both Win XP and Win Vista but were not successfull.
    Please help!!!!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:39 PM
  • For some reason, I dont have a Drivers folder. What version of VZAM are you installing?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Same issue here... I ran the Troubleshoot Compatibility option on the new installer (as there was no drivers folder), with no success.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:24 PM
  • same problem, new version doesn't have drivers folder, was able to look at old laptop and obtain driver...
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Verizon just updated their VZAccess Manager as of yesterday and no modification is required to run on Windows 7. They must have released the update in preparation the Win7 release on the 22nd.
    www.vzam.net

Friday, October 16, 2009 12:33 PM
  • I uninstall the new version of VZAccess Manager, then I deleted the "PANTECH" folder under Program Files and uninstalled the PANTECH device in Device Manager. Then I loaded the 6.10.10-2247b version from the CD that came with the UM175 modem. After that, I was able to follow the instructions above and the modem works great on my Windows 7 64bit version.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for those excellent, saved-the-day instructions on the Windows 7 install of the UM175.

I actually have the Alltel service, rather than Verizon, but figured the procedure would also apply to my Alltel-supplied UM175.

I've installed 7 on three laptops, 2 with 64-bit Professional and one with 32-bit Home Premium.

I don't recall any problems installing UM175 on the 32-bit system.

It's the 64-bit systems that have been a challenge. Had similar issues with the original operating systems, 64-bit Vista Home Premium. Had to tinker to get the drivers to install, but got them working

Well, I'm connected through Alltel now, running the UM175 on one of the 64-bit laptops. So thanks again.

When I first discovered this problem, a tech support guy told me it'd be a "couple of weeks" before I could download updated drivers for 7. Thank goodness I don't have to do without my costly wireless service while third parties decide, "Oh gosh, it might be time to start preparing for Windows 7."
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I'm new with Windows 7 and I have an USB Driver, Pantech UM175 for Centennial, Puerto Rico.

I just want to know if I change as Vista or Win XP the laptop are going to have any problem with the other programs or devices with Windows 7.

You can send me an email to ktsadp@yahoo.com  I will appreciate any help you can bring to me, Thanks!! 

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:56 PM
  • You can run the Windows 7 compatibility check (a Microsoft download) to identify possible conflicts. Other than the UM175 device, I haven't had any problems.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:41 AM

• Thanks for releasing my frustration. It works great!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:50 PM
  • I would also like to say thank you.  After a very frustrating conversation with Alltel yesterday telling me that there was no help for me finding your post was a relief.  I followed your instructions only using Alltel Access instead of Verizon and it worked for me as well.  Thank you for looking out for others.  Merry Christmas!
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:39 PM
  • I didn't get the OS Not Support message, but 175 driver still didn't install.  Also, there is no Setup file in my VZAccess Manager folder.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Awesome..thanks.  Worked great on my Win 7 Ultimate x64 System.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:45 PM
  • I have just purchased the UM175 sold by Verizon. For some reason other than they are trying to tell me all should connect, we installed the drivers cd#2 to use with Windows 7 the UM175 should connect upgrade the updates. It will not connect. I tried installing mannually also with no luck. My computer is only a few months old with preinstalled Vista Home Premium with an upgrade Windows 7 disk when the disk was released. All went well except connecting this devise. Can you help?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:12 PM
  • worked! THANKS A LOT!

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:40 PM
  • you cannot have the newest version of vzmanager.... remove it install disc from the 175. works fine and you can add new cards like 190 also. i have both. there is no driver folder for new version vz access manager. you cant change it by compatibility . what iv told you is it... i run two cards off older version vz access manager... thx u for all the confusing bs. here.. by the way those cards are no longer made . i suggest if you have insurance on it. to get a upgradd verssion card from verizon.. wont tell you how it broke or got lost to tell the insurance company..lool
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:30 PM
  • oddly...the newest vz manager install file won't install in windows 7.  double click the install file and it shows a black dialog box and a red x.  no folders are installed, no nothing.  very strange.  this guide probably works with an older version of the vz access manager.  since this is back in 2009.  vz has updated the installation files.  oh well.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:52 PM