none
Windows XP hang at startup

Question

• I have an computer which hangs at boot from time to time. In winxp logo - at boot - the progress bar moves very slowly, and computer doesn't start nor after half an hour. Does anybody know how to make this winxp to show what it does or what hangs it up?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:54 AM

All replies

•  

Not quite enough details to help you out here. Which Os version are you using? Xp gold? Not official supported by Sp3, should be updated to Sp2 first. Sp2? Nlited Cd of Sp2/3 not supported.

Sp3 specific forum. or problems associated with removing Sp3. If not Sp3 o

No Information where you received the Sp3 update. Microsoft update?

Clean install of Sp2 then immediate Sp3?

Any anti-mal-ware problems running during install?

Was your system up to date Sp2?

Sp2 release notes clearly state you must be using a compatible version of Sp2 anti-mal ware programs. And shoul be turned off prior to installing Sp3.

Norton has serious problems with Sp3 LSASS.exe and needs nortons tool to clear out registery or be come more compatible with Sp3. But installing Sp3 is a major change to your operating system and should be turned off, cleared. Install Sp3 then install norton.

Did you use the full Computer adminstrator log in instead of adminstrator log in to install Sp3? (Think limited vista UAC, or Xps a precursor to UAC)

Get help with "Access is Denied" error Message when you try to open a folder

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

did you check any of this solutions prior to installing Sp3?

Recommendations before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Are you able to boot into safe mode? Pressing the F8 key prior to the windows splash screen.

Have you disconnected everything except the basics? (Video, Mouse, Keyboard)

Troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3

Live search has many excellent resources for simple searching for "troubleshooting startup :microsoft.com"

Even basic feautres of xp home have ntboot.log setupapi.log

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/c29621675.mspx

support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457123.aspx

Cheers

Keith

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:25 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply

I am using XP Pro edition. The sp3 was installed with fully admin privileges. I'm not sure (how could I?) this is a problem of sp3. I'm able to boot in safe mode also in debugging and logging mode. But when starting in safe mode with networking, it hangs too. In ntlogfile, after mup.sys all drivers fails to load. The first one after mup.sys is ACPI Multiprocessor pc.

Actually the system is not multiprocessor.

So my question was about a way to see in realtime what request the system is processing ant the hangup time, so I can remove/replace only that driver/hardware/application.

I Think I will proceed with a fresh install of winXP.

But, thanks for your response and useful links

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Have you changed anything recently after SP3 was installed?  Say the processor or video card?

With MS serialising of everything in their anti-piracy attempts you most liekly have an uneeded driver or process searching for hardware not present hanging at boot right at/after ntldr that holds the entire booting process until it times out.  If your hang boot is roughly the same amount of time each boot then this is the case.

You'll get a generic troubleshooting list from MS support that won't fix this.  Your best bet

is to wipe clean and re-install XP

Uncle Vig

Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Evening all

hopefully this helps.  the easiet method is to use the recovery console from Sp2.

batch %windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.bat

Let it run to completion

More then likely you have a crash due to SATA or dual ppm from Intel, AMD

Take a look here there is a tool to tell you if you have an Amd system and the Intel both running in your system. And how to disable one or the other.

msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/07/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

When you have your Sp2 re-install. If you do not mind checking which video card driver you have. Might need updating

Dont mind me not commenting on Nvidia they are changing weekly, monthly. But at least they have released a new chipset driver that works

Ati catalyst 8.9 is available.

If you wish to re-install Sp3 the misinfluenctials link helps you out

Keith

Sunday, September 28, 2008 3:39 AM