none
How to download Windows 7 Starter

Question

• Hello,

I have bought an ASUS 1005P netbook, it has a windows 7 starter pre-installed.

In the back of my netbook, there is a serial for windows 7 starter too.

I want to re-install my windows 7 starter, But I have not installation DVD of this. The Asus doesn't provide me any DVD with netbook.

From where I can download windows 7 starter ?

Best Regards

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I want to re-install my windows 7 starter, But I have not installation DVD of this. The Asus doesn't provide me any DVD with netbook.

Best Regards

Hi Ghadamyari,

to re-install the Windows 7 (Operating System = OS) you may use recovery partition, the recovery partition has been reserved at hidden space at your HDD to restore the operating system, dirver and utility. please follow these step:

1. ensure to connect your netbook to the AC power adapter before using F9 recovery to avoid recovery failure
    2. Press (F9) during bootup, if the netbook at on posisiton, you may restart then pre F9 during bootup (ensure to press F9 only once during bootup)
    3. Click Recovery in the Recovery System dialog box to start the system recovery
    4. the system start system recovery automatically and follow the onscreen instruction to complete the recovery process
    5. press F9 when booting the netbook, but before do that recovery, you must ensure that the netbook connect to the AC power adapter to avoid recovery failure

just for your information, new netbook should be came with the Support DVD and recovery system otherwise you may ask to the vendor where you bought about that.

warmest regards,

Ap

• Marked as answer by Ghadamyari Friday, June 25, 2010 5:10 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:04 AM
  • As far as I know Windows 7 Starter is an OEM product only and the only source is from the vendor - ASUS.  Microsoft does not have a link to download the image.  If your Eee PC came with any verison of Windows installed the vendor (ASUS) is required by their contract with Microsoft to provide you with some means of recovery to the original state - That may be either a recovery partition on the hard drive or a recovery dvd.

You need to contact either ASUS or the place to purchased the Eee PC from.

See info @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/contact-support

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:27 PM

All replies

• As far as I know Windows 7 Starter is an OEM product only and the only source is from the vendor - ASUS.  Microsoft does not have a link to download the image.  If your Eee PC came with any verison of Windows installed the vendor (ASUS) is required by their contract with Microsoft to provide you with some means of recovery to the original state - That may be either a recovery partition on the hard drive or a recovery dvd.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Yes, Windows 7 Starter is available pre-installed on computers, especially netbooks, through system integrators or computer manufacturers.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Hello,

Best Regards

Hi Ghadamyari,

to re-install the Windows 7 (Operating System = OS) you may use recovery partition, the recovery partition has been reserved at hidden space at your HDD to restore the operating system, dirver and utility. please follow these step:

1. ensure to connect your netbook to the AC power adapter before using F9 recovery to avoid recovery failure
    2. Press (F9) during bootup, if the netbook at on posisiton, you may restart then pre F9 during bootup (ensure to press F9 only once during bootup)
    3. Click Recovery in the Recovery System dialog box to start the system recovery
    4. the system start system recovery automatically and follow the onscreen instruction to complete the recovery process
    5. press F9 when booting the netbook, but before do that recovery, you must ensure that the netbook connect to the AC power adapter to avoid recovery failure

just for your information, new netbook should be came with the Support DVD and recovery system otherwise you may ask to the vendor where you bought about that.

warmest regards,

Ap

• Marked as answer by Ghadamyari Friday, June 25, 2010 5:10 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Hello,

Best Regards

Hi Ghadamyari,

warmest regards,

Ap

Hello,

Thank you, The Asus support agent said this too !

I have some other questions related to this :

1- If I click on recover, Do it will remove all of my hard disk data? or only the data of drive c get deleted?

2- If I click on backup, it says to insert an external storage to save the backup on it, but How I can recover this backup ? What will occur If I click on recover ? It ask me for an backup file or just restore the Asus backup which is on hidden drive ?

Best Regards

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:13 AM

• Hello,

Thank you, The Asus support agent said this too !

I have some other questions related to this :

1- If I click on recover, Do it will remove all of my hard disk data? or only the data of drive c get deleted?

2- If I click on backup, it says to insert an external storage to save the backup on it, but How I can recover this backup ? What will occur If I click on recover ? It ask me for an backup file or just restore the Asus backup which is on hidden drive ?

Best Regards

Your questions really should be addressed to ASUS since they customize their installtions the way they want.  There is not a generic Microsoft answer to an ASUS configuration.

However, to #1 one, normally the current partition is cleaned and you get a new installation.

For #2, you should be able to create a bootable recovery disc.

All this information should be in your owners manual and you should ask ASUS to ensure the information I posted is correct.  These procedures vary by vendor and there simply is not a generic answer that covers all vendors.

Friday, June 25, 2010 10:48 AM

helo.I have a laptop mini(1012-dell-inspairon) to windos7 starter.I am in iran and buy laptop from iran.windos my be clean when partitioning and CD Recovery of Shani bad clean.help to my!
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:58 AM
  • I everyone . I have the same problem with an Asus eeePC 1001PX , but with hard disk drive failure . If the recovery is in a hidden partition but the hard drive fails , how can i reinstall my windows 7 starter after changing the hard disk drive ? the windows backup doesn't work , Asus don't sell the recovery DVD . What can I do ?

Best Regards

Friday, June 10, 2011 11:54 AM
  • I everyone . I have the same problem with an Asus eeePC 1001PX , but with hard disk drive failure . If the recovery is in a hidden partition but the hard drive fails , how can i reinstall my windows 7 starter after changing the hard disk drive ? the windows backup doesn't work , Asus don't sell the recovery DVD . What can I do ?

Best Regards

You must contact Asus.  The Starter edition is only available from the OEM.

There is an online Eee PC User forum for Eee PC problems: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=76

Also, see info @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/contact-support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:10 PM
  • On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:54:33 +0000, Madpegasus wrote:

I everyone . I have the same problem with an Asus eeePC 1001PX , but with hard disk drive failure . If the recovery is in a hidden partition but the hard drive fails , how can i reinstall my windows 7 starter after changing the hard disk drive ? the windows backup doesn't work , Asus don't sell the recovery DVD . What can I do ?

Check your documentation (or call Asus). There should be instructions
    on how to burn a recovery DVD from the recovery partition, and
    everyone should do that as their first step when they get a new
    computer without a DVD.

And if your EEE doesn't have a DVD drive, you should buy an external
    USB DVD drive. It's hard to imagine being without a DVD drive these
    days.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:22 PM
  • hi if you want to reinstall windows 7 starter then when your computer boots up press Alt+F10

Best Reagards hope this works!!!
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Oh my gosh! U saved my butt here! I messed up my netbook so bad it wouldn't boot and now I am back on and setting it all up again thanks to you! I just wanna hug you right now! Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Windows 7 starter is available via MSDN if you have an account.  Then just use your key that came with your netbook.  That is if you have an MSDN account. If not then you would probably need to contact the vendor of your netbook and retrieve the recovery media.  
    James Snarey
    • Proposed as answer by Vladkd Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:10 PM
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:27 PM
  • As usual the OEM  (mine is Asus too) jerks you around seems to me that if you have a verifiable key you should be able to get a download but I guess thats just M$ way of making a few more bucks and Asus and most other computer makers save what $3 on discs, and then when you need them well M$ says buy full version and OEM says sure we will make you a set for $50. WTF fun to be a consumer, Thats ok Ubuntu runs great on my netbook anyway and cost me NADA.
    • Proposed as answer by Vladkd Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by bobtov Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:01 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Yep, it's this sort of unhelpful, mindless piddling around and jumping through hoops that makes even die hard Microsoft supporters of 25+ years such as myself say "Sod it, let's go down the Linux route for the desktop, less hassle."

You listening Bulmer? Probably not.

jon-r

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:38 PM
  • hi if you want to reinstall windows 7 starter then when your computer boots up press Alt+F10

Best Reagards hope this works!!!

You Sir are an absolute genius. My son has got a netbook which has no dvd drive so no amount of disk would save my posterior.

I saw your reply on here and hit alt f10 first time result was it did not work.

second time round I held alt key and hit f10 several times. It forced my recovery options to the screen. If I could kiss you I would soooo here is a virtual kiss for you from myself and my lovely grateful family mwwwwuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaah xxxxxx

Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:03 PM
  • how to install windows 7 starter on my netbook by its self on the netbook

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:51 PM
  • how to install windows 7 starter on my netbook by its self on the netbook

Put all the files from the DVD or .ISO onto a USB Flash Drive and load it from there.

See information about using the Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool; http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/using-the-windows-7-usb-dvd-download-tool.aspx

You can also search the internet for more articles and information about using a USB Flash Drive to install Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:27 PM
  • But the crux is, if you replace the hard drive, a reinstall will not work - according to MS -  because the restore data is now looking at a different computer (due to hardware changes) - for example, when replacing a 5200 rpm HD with a SSD.

I took my netbook to a local tech shop along with the the SSD drive. Instead of using the cable and cloning software that came with the SSD, they made me a set of restore DVD's. They were afraid to replace the drive themselves so I did it after watching a YouTube video. Looking at the Bios on launch, the computer "sees" the new 2GB RAM and SSD drive.  But the restore DVD's won't work. MS tech says I need to get a Win 7 Starter Install Disc and run it with my product code from the netbook - a fresh install.

But you are saying you can't get an Install DVD because only the Vendor has them.

How do I get Win 7 Starter in this brand new SSD now that it is already installed in the netbook?

Thank you,

• Edited by quickdata Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:03 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Hi all,

I tried to restore my PC with this method, but apparently the recovery partition missed files. What other alternatives I had? If Microsoft doesn't have the files ready to download, my support agent is nowhere to be found and my recovery partition is oh-so-dead...?

Thank you

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:23 AM
  • Hi all,

I tried to restore my PC with this method, but apparently the recovery partition missed files. What other alternatives I had? If Microsoft doesn't have the files ready to download, my support agent is nowhere to be found and my recovery partition is oh-so-dead...?

Thank you

Then you have two choices:

1.  Take you computer back to the manufacturer to get it fixed.

2.  Buy Windows 7 Home Basic and install it on your computer.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:51 PM
  • I bought an Acer netbook made a backup copy as per Acer bingo the hard drive fails fit another hard drive and load my discs not accepted hardware change. If Microsoft is going to survive and reading between the lines they are not as dominant look at the failed software Win 95 blue Screen Win 98 ME and then 2000 that was stable and then XP they finaly get it right with SP3 and updates and then Vista down we go again winxp carries on because vista they want to forget band then win7 with all the variants it is now relativly stable Win 8 comes out throw your laptops and netbooks away hay ho we have a fantastic new touchscreen PC or not and then before the paint is dry Win8.1 because win8 had to many problems. When will Microsoft use their Brains if it aint broke dont touch it. You will still sell software  but the idea is buy anew pc and radicaly change your habits for the new system every two years. Have alook at the number of companies and home users who are still on XP who wants to change all their hardware and software and lets not forget training at the whim of mirosoft. I have been a loyal supporter since DOS2.0 but now it is time to sit back and look at the alternatives.

Micosoft have sold the software to the vendor they make money when you buy extra software office etc but because it is OEM they now want to charge all over again it is as i mentioned time for Microsoft to get their head out of the sand  it would be intresting to see microsofts reply in their own version of English.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Look dont make it harder then it is k. Get or use win 7 what ever edition u want and use an external cd-rom. use that disk you just wipe the hdd and make two partitions and install win7 on partition 1 primary.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:47 PM
  • A list of Legal and official Windows 7 .iso download links
    can be found here > http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links
    a few more (same)
    can be found here > http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

To make or create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive or DVD to install Windows 7
    use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (WUDT),
    which is also known simply as ISO Tool
    which you can get from here > http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html
    or here > http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe (direct download from microsoft)

TopTip...

to get the version you require.

download the ultimate version.

unpack the iso using winrar, > http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

open the sources folder and then delete the eiconfig file

burn the files and folders to a DVD then there you have an any version dvd.

simple.

dont forget you will also need the drivers for your hardware to function correctly,

go to

c > windows > system32 > drivers,

save the drivers folder and the driver store folder to a safe place so you can

reinstall your drivers after you have re- installed windows 7.

• Edited by Axlelottle Monday, August 25, 2014 9:57 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 9:54 AM