none
Accidentally deleted folders not in Recycle bin

Question

• I just started using a new computer with Windows 7 Pro a couple of weeks ago. My old computer was XP and I'm not used to the interface yet. I was moving folders around to tidy things up. In one folder, 'Work', placed under Libraries > Documents > My documents, I had earlier accidentally made a new folder. I now deleted this. Since deleting an empty folder should go fast I started worry when it took a while. When finished the 'Work'-folder was empty, except one little folder!

I went straight to the Recycle bin. All I could find was folders and files I previously deleted on purpose. The folders I accidentally deleted from within 'Work' was not there.

I tried to search for files I have been working for the last weeks. Nothing.

I tried to 'Recover lost or deleted files' http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Recover-lost-or-deleted-files But "There are no previous available"

What can I do? Where are my files, all my work from the last weeks?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to get your lost data, it is recommended to contact the data recovery professional for help.

Just as a kind reminder, be careful when you delete files.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi you could try having a look at this talks about recovering through deleted files using a free 3rd party file recovery software called recuva
    MyPcHealth ------ Some Free Tools
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to get your lost data, it is recommended to contact the data recovery professional for help.

Just as a kind reminder, be careful when you delete files.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:19 AM
  • You did not address the original post at all: "I had earlier accidentally made a new folder. I now deleted this. Since deleting an empty folder should go fast I started worry when it took a while. When finished the 'Work'-folder was empty, except one little folder!

I went straight to the Recycle bin. All I could find was folders and files I previously deleted on purpose. The folders I accidentally deleted from within 'Work' was not there."    Now this happened to me too, Windows 7 Ultimate, I deleted ONE folder and the next thing I know, everything in MY DOCUMENTS is gone and not in the recycle bin!!! For someone with 13,700 points you should have more authoritative answers what REALLY happened to Windows and the underlying bug, your answer did not help me (a veteran Windows person) or anyone. Please find out what is going on with our file/folder systems or contact an engineer that knows and reply to this post. Thank you

Robert Seward- Sr. E.T., MCP NT4.0, W2K, CompTIA A+ -Everything I ever did was new the first time I tried it- -me

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:51 AM
  • By the way, I have a current image so my loss is not catastrophic, most people probably don't do backups like they should though.

Robert Seward- Sr. E.T., MCP NT4.0, W2K, CompTIA A+ -Everything I ever did was new the first time I tried it- -me

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Did you leave everything in the recycle bin? If you did you could try just restoreing all the files in the bin and see what happens. Open the bin and highlight everything in it and right click and select restore. Just an idea. I know I didn't really answer your question of where the files went but thought I'd try to help get them back. You could also try this free program to get files back.

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Try Recuva:

www.piriform.com/recuva

Jerry

• Edited by jwitalka Friday, March 23, 2012 6:50 PM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 6:49 PM
  • The "undelete" was largely unsuccessful. I used the recuva program but there were no references (even though the data loss was bran new) to most of the files and folders that were in my documents folder. I did the "deep scan". NOTE: the orignal problem for the first reporter and my self is that we only selected ONE folder and everything dissapeared and DID NOT move to the recycle bin. MS rep Schloicka and yourself have not addressed that, just the delected file recovery. It's good for you to know I cannot find the suddenly dissapeared files,  maybe that will help you not recommend that product and figure out what's wrong with two versions (the orig. 32 bit and my 64 bit ultimate).
    -Even the files that Recuva recommended would restore were corrupted. Maybe Schloicka's program may or may not have worked, I will never know.
    As I mentioned in my original post, I have a recent image that I'll recover from with little data loss, it sucks I have to do that, most people don't think to keep current images or backup. I'm curious if you are on MS payroll responding to these posts or just a caring citizen?

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:48 PM
  • How dare you mark your own post as the answer. I hold you personally accountable for driving away millions of customers from Microsoft. You did not answer the question and I doubt you read my posts either. You and the other professionals are the very reason everyone I know is frustrated with Microsoft as a company. Please stick with the textbook answers and recommend people back up and restore, and on your level, you have a personal responsibility to report bugs that have been reported by lower support personal such as myself to the technical community to effect resolve so more people don't have this problem in the future. IF YOU WOULD READ what I reported, I am not some new user that does not know what to click..................aaarrrgggg I've had it up to here (hand over head) with you people who don't really care about anything but getting "points" on the freaking posts so you can somehow validate you are a good tech. Please help people, not just type to see your great words that help no one!!!!!

Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Drives are an example of how to perform backups of your data without worry.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:24 PM
  • I doubt to many are on here to get points. We were trying to help with what info we were given. You said it took a long time to delete an empty folder but obviously it wasn't empty. So it was either deleted or moved by accident. Did you do a search for the folder name in the programs and files search from the start menu? I've accidentally moved a folder to inside another folder in the past. So with the info given I have to believe it was either deleted or moved.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:27 PM
  • My MS certifications are not current but my field experience certainly is. I've had hundreds of customers a year and word of mouth business referrals keep me Very busy. I SEE the frustrated end users because they can't get support and then the moderator for this forum accepts and condones inept answers from current professionals seemingly disconnected with reality. This is the last time I will reply because I do keep repeating that I had a current mirror and already restored from the image. Reletively I did not lose data but it did not get moved. The Recuva program showed "some" of the files that were deleted (but not all) and even the files that were shown as not being overwritten yet did not recover correctly and indicated the files were corrupt after recovery.
       So if this is not a good place to report bugs to MS paid personal who are responsible for releasing valid working fixes, who is the field rep supposed to use? Really.

Monday, March 26, 2012 4:54 AM
  • You can recover deleted files and folders with data recovery software, see this step by step guide

http://www.asoftech.com/articles/shift-delete-recovery.html

hope this helps.

• Edited by JamesTTy Tuesday, March 04, 2014 2:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 2:13 AM
  • Thanks James for the excellent post and link. I did try a similar software at the time, and found it to be highly ineffective. I also found that the newness of Windows 7 at the time in conjunction with my unfamiliarity back then was the culprit for the deletions (for my case anyway).

I normally don't admit my failures publicly except that maybe someone may learn from it this time.

**The problem was that I didn't understand the "Libraries" concept, and as a result, started deleting what I though were duplicate files; unaware that when I delete the contents of the "Pictures Library," I was really also deleting the contents of "My Pictures!"

Anyway, there's no substitute for a real-time backup plan, and now have implemented an Acronis professional backup solution, as well as running a mirror every six months. Real backups cost a lot of money, but I think it costs more if you can't recover.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Real backups cost a lot of money . . .

This is a matter of opinion. To someone like me who had to pay heaps for a tape drive (and tapes!), the cost of a 1 TByte backup disk in a 2.5" USB case is ridiculously small. The cost of backup media is no longer an issue. The real problem is that far too many users ignore the need for a robust backup scheme until they suffer a major disaster. It's a harsh but highly effective lesson and far too often the only way to get the message across.
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:31 PM