none
Windows failed to start - Status:0xc000014c

Question

• Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the Problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

ENTER=Continue           ESC=Exit

I was attempting to organize my mothers computer and I accidentally ran a file:

cc_20121015_182130.reg

and added it to the registry because I didn't know what I was doing. The computer promptly crashed after giving multiple memory errors. From what I've read I need to get a Windows 7 installation disk and run that but I don't presently have one. I cannot run the computer in safe mode with cmd or networking nor do any of the diagnostic tools on the boot service work or detect any errors.

Anything I can do to fix this as of now?

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you can use an installation disk to repair the system.

For detail steps:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, or a system repair disc, and then shut down your computer.

2. Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

3. When prompted, press any key, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4. On the Install Windows page, or on the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If neither the Install Windows page nor the System Recovery Options page appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

5. If you are using the Windows installation disc or USB flash drive, click Repair your computer.

6. Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next. (Note: Be sure to make note of the Location drive letter as it probably will not be C: and the correct drive letter must be entered in the following steps; then click Next.)

7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair or System Restore to test the issue.

More reference,

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you can use an installation disk to repair the system.

For detail steps:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, or a system repair disc, and then shut down your computer.

2. Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

3. When prompted, press any key, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4. On the Install Windows page, or on the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If neither the Install Windows page nor the System Recovery Options page appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

5. If you are using the Windows installation disc or USB flash drive, click Repair your computer.

6. Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next. (Note: Be sure to make note of the Location drive letter as it probably will not be C: and the correct drive letter must be entered in the following steps; then click Next.)

7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair or System Restore to test the issue.

More reference,

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Check this

Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Hope that helps :)

Vikky

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:02 AM