none
Can't Install 32- or 64-bit Ubuntu in Windows Virtual PC

Question

• I'm trying to install Ubuntu under Windows Virtual PC.  This is the first time I have worked with a VM.  I was able to install Windows Virtual PC and create a VM.  I have a 64-bit machine (ThinkPad T420) with Windows 7 Professional.  All disks are local.    

Trying the 64-bit Ubuntu, I get an error saying "This kernel requires an x86-64 cpu, but only detected an i686 cpu".  I tried enabling virtualization in the BIOS but still get that same error.

When I try the 32-bit Ubuntu, I get a terminal-style screen beginning, "kernel paging request at f7c95100 and ending about 19 lines later with "[     4.911143] Call Trace:      "  (I think I've attached that screenshot.)

Should I be trying the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit?  I think I would be OK with either if I can get one to work.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, you should try the 32-bit version if you're going to use Windows
    Virtual PC -- it's doesn't run 64-bit OS's.

If you want to run the 64-bit version, you'll have to change to other
    visualization software like Virtualbox or VMWare player.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Bob, that's great to know, thanks!  I tried again with the 32-bit Ubuntu ISO.  I get as far as Ubuntu coming up in text and then text in red:  process init/stack/call trace/code.

I downloaded 32-bit Ubuntu again, three times now in all.  Each time the file size is identical so I'm presuming I have a good ISO.  I deleted my original VM and started over.  The error message:  'Segmentation fault.  No init found.  Try passing init-bootarg.  Segmentation fault (repeated 8 times).  Init line 352:  can't open root/dev/console; no such file.  Kernel panic--not syncing...'  My caps lock blinks on and off and I have to kill the VM.

My next though was to delete and re-install Windows Virtual PC, but it doesn' show up as a program that I can delete.  So I've run out of ideas, hope you have a suggestion or solution.

mgeeca

Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:42 PM
  • I would use virtualbox for ubuntu.
    • Marked as answer by mgeeca Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:38 PM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Well, it's hard to tell, but asking in the Ubuntu forums is your best
    bet to getting it to work under Windows Virtual PC.

I'd really suggest if running Linux is your main virtualization goal,
    I'd probably be running VMWare player or Workstation, or VirtualBox, as
    they support running various Linux distributions a LOT better.

I've used VMWare Workstation under Windows 7 to use Linux for a long
    time, but now that I've moved to Windows 8, I use Hyper-V instead. 
    Hyper-V still supports it less than VMWare as a client OS, but now it
    at least runs really well.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Allen, thanks for recommending VirtualBox.  I'd spent the better part of a day trying to install Ubuntu on Windows Virtual PC, with VirtualBox it was a snap.

mgeeca

Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Your welcome! Windows also runs well in virtualbox
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:52 PM