none
NO SOUND for .mkv in Windows Media Center

Question

• I just downloaded CCCP and .mkv now plays fine on WMP 12. BUT, on Windows Media Center, there is NO SOUND. I checked my volume mixer and everything looks fine. I also maxed out the volume on Windows Media Center to 50, still no sound. Again, there is sound on Windows Media Player 12 but not on Windows Media Center.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my search results, other Windows 7 users also encountered this error when playing MKV in Windows Media Center.

Please understand that there is no built-in codec for MKV. The CCCP codec makes it work with Windows Media Player. However, this codec may be not fully compatible with Windows Media Center which causes the current issue. 

You can try installing the Windows 7 Codec pack. If the issue persists, you may need to contact CCCP support for direct assistance. Thank you.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, January 18, 2010 8:59 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please perform the suggestions on the following link to modify registry settings:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/19/AR2009021900060.html

If it does not work, try the following steps:

Configure the sound card

=======================

1. Click the Start Button, type "MMSYS.CPL" (withour quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. On Playback tab, click the Speaker which is used currently and click Properties button.

3. Switch to Advanced tab, uncheck the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option.

4. If the Enhancements tab is available, click it. Check 'Disable all sound effects".

5. In Setting section, Select None.

6. Click Apply and click OK.

If the issue persists, how about removing and reinstalling CCCP?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:14 AM
  • I modified the registry settings and removed and reinstalled cccp and now I am getting a different error message.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v380/yaomean/?action=view&current=WindowsMediaCenterError.jpg

Now windows media center can't find the video, even though I haven't moved it anywhere. It still plays fine in windows media player. Can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Hi,

According to my search results, other Windows 7 users also encountered this error when playing MKV in Windows Media Center.

Please understand that there is no built-in codec for MKV. The CCCP codec makes it work with Windows Media Player. However, this codec may be not fully compatible with Windows Media Center which causes the current issue. 

You can try installing the Windows 7 Codec pack. If the issue persists, you may need to contact CCCP support for direct assistance. Thank you.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, January 18, 2010 8:59 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:57 AM