none
static route - gateway

Question

• can a gateway in a static route on win 7 client  be an ip of a router that is not in the same subnet as the client?.

thanks

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

Gateway must be in the same subnet as the client.

May I know why the router cannot reach application?  Is the external application out of your network?  If so, it’s a permission issue, you could set the rules with IP address policy.

If it is in your network, you may connect the allowable VLANs and the application with one switcher. Set the application as “VLAN all” mode.

(If one is set as VLAN all mode, other clients could communicate with it even if they are in different VLANs)

Another method is to set the application as open state, and prohibit the unallowable clients to communicate with the application.

Static route cannot make it possible to connect the clients from VLANs with the external application.

If my understanding is not right, please kindly let me know. 

Hope that helps.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:12 AM

All replies

• No, the gateway listed in the route table must be in the same subnet as the client.  The purpose of the gatway address is for the computer to be able to communicate with remote (on other subnets) systems.  When a computer determines that the target system is not on the same subnet, it sends the packet to the gateway address.  Therefore, the gateway interface must be on the same subnet as the source computer.

More info: http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1054-how-ip-packets-are-routed-on-local-area/

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:43 PM
  • my situation is as follows

had network with one subnet (flat)

clients with DG to internet router

to reach a special external application some client needed static route to router with internal interface  .

now network is VLANed

clients not on same vlan as application router can not reach application

if i understand correctly

1. i must delete route from clients not on same VLAN

2. must create a static route to application router  on layer3 switch that connects VLANS

thanks

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:58 PM
  • correct on #1, and #2.

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:06 PM
  • will try and update
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Hi, 

Gateway must be in the same subnet as the client.

May I know why the router cannot reach application?  Is the external application out of your network?  If so, it’s a permission issue, you could set the rules with IP address policy.

If it is in your network, you may connect the allowable VLANs and the application with one switcher. Set the application as “VLAN all” mode.

(If one is set as VLAN all mode, other clients could communicate with it even if they are in different VLANs)

Another method is to set the application as open state, and prohibit the unallowable clients to communicate with the application.

Static route cannot make it possible to connect the clients from VLANs with the external application.

If my understanding is not right, please kindly let me know. 

Hope that helps.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:12 AM