none
XP Pro slow to boot to desktop.

Question

• I recently performed a clean install of XP Pro, including SP2 and SP3. I don't have much on the computer since I just reinstalled. It takes an unusually long time to boot to the desktop, especially the "loading personal settings" part. Any suggestions on what can be causing this and what to do will be appreciated. Thank you.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:25 PM

All replies

• what's an unusual long time? are you booting to a domain? if you are booting to a domain, i'd say either check your dns settings or firewall settings...

disable/uninstall all firewalls and see if your boot gets any faster...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Try booting into safe mode and see if you get the same results.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:30 PM
  • what's an unusual long time? are you booting to a domain? if you are booting to a domain, i'd say either check your dns settings or firewall settings...

disable/uninstall all firewalls and see if your boot gets any faster...

It takes about two minutes to load to the desktop. About a minute of that is the "loading personal settings" portion. It took less time to boot up before I reinstalled XP Pro with all the programs I had on the computer. I have a DSL (AT&T) connection that is set to obtain DNS and IP Address information automatically. I am using the XP Pro firewall. Not sure if that answers your questions.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Try booting into safe mode and see if you get the same results.

I actually already tried that, and it takes about just as long.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Was the boot time slow before applying a SP or updates to the machine? By the time it takes to load the personal settings I would say it might be a corrupt profile.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:30 PM
  • I don't recall. Last week I just did a clean install of XP Pro, installed SP2 and SP3, then subsequent updates. I should also mention that the "windows is shutting down" process takes long too. I only have my account (Admin) and the Guest account, which is turned off. How can I fix my account?
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:38 AM
  • I would try downloading and installing the MS User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

This is a service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems. It helped me greatly with shutting down and logoff's. If you still have issues after that, try creating a new user account and login with that profile. Make sure to add it to the administrators group so it has access to all resources on the PC.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I would try downloading and installing the MS User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

This is a service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems. It helped me greatly with shutting down and logoff's. If you still have issues after that, try creating a new user account and login with that profile. Make sure to add it to the administrators group so it has access to all resources on the PC.

I tried this, and it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I am contemplating a format and re-install again. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I will comment back here on what I do with the system. Thanks again everyone.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I have reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro. At first, it was fast to boot up to the desktop, now it is slow again after installing SP2, SP3, and all subsequent updates. I am just guessing that my system is too old for all the added service packs, add-ons, etc. for it to process in a timely fashion. I am running XP PRo on a home built model with an MSI MS-6777 motherboard, a 1.2G AMD processor, 1G of RAM, an ATI Radeon X1600Pro (512mb) video card, a 40G hard drive, and a 30G slave drive. I guess I'll just have to live with it. At least it is pretty quick once everything is loaded.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:52 PM