none
windows media center - "ir hardware not detected"

Question

• hello,

i'm running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and i'm trying to setup my tv signal on the windows media center.
    i have a hauppauge pvr150mce card who comes bundled with a microsoft ir transceiver including the ir blaster.
    when i run the tv signal setup wizard, after selecting the source, i get an error saying "ir hardware not detected".
    that is weird because the ir devices is installed and listed in the device manager ("consumer ir devices" under system devices and "mircosoft ehome infrared transceiver" under human interface devices). more than that, i can even use the remote within the media center application and it is fully responsive and working) but every time when i try to setup the tv signal i get the same weird error. because of that i can't even skip this stage and i can't setup tv signal on media center.

i've already read any threa on the internet and tryed everything. uninstalled the devices and reinstalled them. connected the device in different usb ports, installed latest win7 updates from the hauppauge website.

the hardware is listed in both the hauppauge website and microsofts as fully comaptible with win7. it also worked fine with vista.

what can i do ???...
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:11 AM

Answers

• Ok after millions of attempts trying all sorts of things i finally ended up shoving two headphones into the jack of the usb hub for the MCE remote and vaalla it worked got past the ir hardware detection although it doesn't control my set top box like it used to before in vista I'm satisfied for now till i get around to buying some IR bugs. i hope this helped because it sure drove me nuts
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:31 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:32 AM

All replies

• How much memory do you have in your system?

From the Hauppauge website @ http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr150.html

Note: In 64-bit versions of Windows, the WinTV-PVR-150 and WinTV-PVR-500 require the use of less than 4GB of memory.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:41 PM
  • the problem is with the microsoft infrared transceiver, not with the tv card.

moreover, the card itself works fine.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Where did you see information claiming the pvr-150 was Windows 7 comaptible?  Info I find on the Hauppauge states it is NOT certified for Windows 7.  And if the IR Blaster is part of this then that protion of the system would be included.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/windows7_product_list.html

Older products

Product WinTV v7 application Windows Media Center Notes
    WinTV-PVR-150 (PCI) ok ok*
    WinTV-PVR-250 (PCI) not supported not supported*  
    WinTV-PVR-350 (PCI) not supported not supported* only RF input
    WinTV-PVR-500 (PCI) ok ok*  
    WinTV-PVR-USB2 (USB2) ok ok * model 24xxx only

* WinTV-PVR is not certified for use with Windows 7, though it will work in many systems with Windows 7 32-bit version.

* WinTV-PVR products will not work in PC systems with 4GB or more of memory.

* FM radio has not been tested under Windows Media Center.

<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 8:45 PM
  • look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Hauppauge%20WinTV%20PVR-150%20TV%20Tuner%20Card&v=Hauppauge&uid=1045&pf=1&pi=6&s=hauppauge%20pvr150%20mce&os=32-bit

the ir transceiver is a microsoft original equipment just bundled with the hauppauge kit, and is fully compatible with win 7.

also, as is stated, the card works comp[letely fine, i can use it with other application just fine and even inside the windows media center it works fine. the only problem is with the microsoft transceiver !
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 8:58 PM
  • BTW, even the page you quoted is a bit contradicting because according to the table it is compatible but the comment underneath claims differently.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Maybe you have a defective IR Blaster.  The are many pieces of hardware that will show up in the device manager but will not be fully functional.

The problem with the link to the software is that it was published over 2 years ago.  Without the driver functioning properly I would not expect the IR Blaster to function correctly since it depends on the card to function.  Plus you still haven't divulged how much memory you have in your computer and the website plainly states you must be using less than 4GB!

Note: in 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7, you cannot use 4GB or memory or more.

There must be a reason for this being posted!  So, if you have 4GB or more Hauppauge is plainly telling you the PVR-150 will not function correctly.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:56 PM
  • i have 4gb but as i'm trying to explain is is not relevant.

the 4 gb issue indeed was a problem with vista 64 (about the card and not the ir device), so i haven't used it and switched to vista 32 and the card and the ir device worked just fine.

i apreciate your help but you insist on not listening to what is say.

the card works fine, i can use it just fine with the wintv program and other media software. it is also working fine in wmc with analog rf input and i can even get a good signal with the composite input, the only problem is with the ir device not being detected by the wmc, even though the device works fine because i can use it in any other feature inside the wmc. the only problem is when i'm inside the tv signal setup wizard it reports the ir hardware not detected and wont let me continue with the tv setup. that's it. i found other on the net having the same problem.

please try to help me with the problem i have and not to tell me that others problem that i don't have are the cause.

thanks.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 10:19 PM
  • i have 4gb but as i'm trying to explain is is not relevant.

the 4 gb issue indeed was a problem with vista 64 (about the card and not the ir device), so i haven't used it and switched to vista 32 and the card and the ir device worked just fine.

i apreciate your help but you insist on not listening to what is say.

the card works fine, i can use it just fine with the wintv program and other media software. it is also working fine in wmc with analog rf input and i can even get a good signal with the composite input, the only problem is with the ir device not being detected by the wmc, even though the device works fine because i can use it in any other feature inside the wmc. the only problem is when i'm inside the tv signal setup wizard it reports the ir hardware not detected and wont let me continue with the tv setup. that's it. i found other on the net having the same problem.

please try to help me with the problem i have and not to tell me that others problem that i don't have are the cause.

thanks.

I guess if you think it's not relavent, then there is nothing else I have to suggest.  Just do it your way!
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Ok after millions of attempts trying all sorts of things i finally ended up shoving two headphones into the jack of the usb hub for the MCE remote and vaalla it worked got past the ir hardware detection although it doesn't control my set top box like it used to before in vista I'm satisfied for now till i get around to buying some IR bugs. i hope this helped because it sure drove me nuts
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:31 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:32 AM
  • I too was having an issue with setting up my WMC (64-bit, Microsoft Remote v2, Microsoft IR Receiver with IR blaster).  The IR receiver worked great for the past 4 or 5 years when all I had was an antenna signal, but when I tried to configure WMC to use DirecTV, I could never get past the IR Hardware detection during setup.  After trying two different IR control cables (blasters) with no success, I tried the suggestion of sticking two headphones into the IR receiver. 

Basically, I kept the IR blaster in one port on the back of the IR receiver and pluged in a pair of apple earbud into the other port. At that point, the TV setup went past the IR hardware detection just fine and walked me through configuring the IR blaster.  It did have me go through the wizard twice (since it thought I had twoblasters plugged in), but that seems to not have caused any problems. 

I've removed the earbuds no problem and the system now works as it should, including changing the STB channel.

Thanks for the simple suggestion of putting a 'dummy' cable in both ports. 

Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:35 AM
  • This guy is absolutely right, worked for me too.

For an explanation, try here:

http://realityisstupid.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-bypass-windows-media-center-ir.html

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Fairly easy fix for the "ir hardware not detected"  windows7 media center bug.

Trick media center into thinking you only have an analog antenna (set this up manually). Download the guide and make sure you have channels 3 and 4 visible. If not add them manually in TV setup menu.

Tune to 3 or 4 with windows remote, depending on where you live, and then use the set top box remote to control TV as you would normally. Only use the windows remote to enter 'live TV', control zoom, and volume. For recording and cable menu, use the STB remote as well.

Hope that helps...:-)

• Proposed as answer by AZ1959 Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:34 PM