none
Windows 7 Ultimate No Audio Output Device Installed?

Question

• I have a sony vaio VGN-FJ170 and I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop computer. Everything is working great, but I have no sound. In the bottom right corner, I have the audio icon with a red circle and a white x. It also says 'No Audio Output Device Installed'. When I look in the device manager, I have a yellow icon next to 'High Definition Audio Device' under Sound, video and game controllers, and I also have an Unknown Device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers. I've tried reinstalling the Realtek drivers but nothing seems to be working. Can anybody help?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hello,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, August 10, 2009 11:43 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Josh,

I was able to get this working today after about 4 hours of failed attempts.  I am using Windows 7 RTM build 7600 on a VGN-FJ170 Sony Vaio Laptop.  I used the following procedure to get the Realtek chipset Audio to work:

1. Open Device Manager.
    2. Expand Sound, video, and game contrllers
    3. Uninstall all the devices under this category.  Be sure to click Delete the driver software for this device.
    4. Download and install the Intel Realtek drivers (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldId=7525&lang=eng)

Any time I tried to install the drivers I received from Realtek, I received a blue screen of death.  Using the intel drivers made it work.
    • Marked as answer by Josh4569 Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:16 PM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:34 PM

All replies

• Are you trying to install the HD Codecs and driver from www.realtek.com?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Yes, I've tried the HD Codecs and driver from www.realtek.com. When I installed the codec, my computer went to a blue screen and then restarted. It runs fine after it restarts, but still no sound.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Hello,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, August 10, 2009 11:43 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Windows Update had a Realtek update. After updating, the yellow icon went away for the High Definition Audio Device... but I still have no sound. I also have an Unknown Device. When I check on the properties for the HD Audio Device, it says that 'no drivers are installed for this device'. Also, is there anyway that I can figure out what my Unknown USB controller is?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:58 PM
  • you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software. Thanks
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Josh,

I was able to get this working today after about 4 hours of failed attempts.  I am using Windows 7 RTM build 7600 on a VGN-FJ170 Sony Vaio Laptop.  I used the following procedure to get the Realtek chipset Audio to work:

1. Open Device Manager.
    2. Expand Sound, video, and game contrllers
    3. Uninstall all the devices under this category.  Be sure to click Delete the driver software for this device.
    4. Download and install the Intel Realtek drivers (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldId=7525&lang=eng)

Any time I tried to install the drivers I received from Realtek, I received a blue screen of death.  Using the intel drivers made it work.
    • Marked as answer by Josh4569 Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:16 PM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Thanks Brian. This worked!!s
    • Proposed as answer by darhig149 Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Thanks Guys that fix worked a treat! Ive been trying to get the sound to work for months!!

I followed Brians steps 1 thro 3 but after step 3 i just clicked on the volume icon in the bottom right of screen.Windows automatically found new drivers (microsofts own) and the HDMI now has sound

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Thanks Guys that fix worked a treat! Ive been trying to get the sound to work for months!!

I followed Brians steps 1 thro 3 but after step 3 i just clicked on the volume icon in the bottom right of screen.Windows automatically found new drivers (microsofts own) and the HDMI now has sound

Do not be mislead by the labeling of the drivers.  Although they may be labeled as Microsoft drivers, the drivers were in fact obtained from the Original Equipment Manufacturer.  Microsoft does not write the drivers for third party hoardware drivers.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Brian, yea it took me about a month to do this because i was trying to find it out by myself... I have recently stumbled upon a problem. I have the same laptop as you guys but my Fn button doesnt work.. do happen to know how to fix this problem?
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Thanks Brian,

I had downloaded he driver from the manufacturer site, but still got the same error until I following steps 1 through 3 of your instructions.  Afterwards, right clicked on the audio and selected update.  All worked on my laptop.  Seems that this problems poped up after using my headsets.  :(

Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:39 AM