none
Windows 7 - Unspecified Printer

Question

• I have a specalized usb thermal printer that I need to attach to my Windows 7 machine. When I look under the "Devices and Printers" it is listed under the Unspecified section. I do have the drivers for this printer, but I can't seem to specify where the drivers are located to install them. Is there some work around that I am unable to find?

Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:26 PM

Answers

• You say the printer shows under device manager???

Highlite right click and update the driver, point it to the .inf

Or find the .inf file for the printer highlite right and select install.

Or highlite the setup.exe (if there is one) right and select Troubleshoot compatibilty and follow the wizard to install
    watch the taskbar for the setup to start and then bring it up and run it. 
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:56 AM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:01 AM

All replies

• What is the printer and what operating system was the drivers for? Be specific about the printer.  You can install the printer driver in compatibility mode http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/80cae5ee-dc98-4a2f-8284-a1ab826059b7
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:09 PM
  • The printer is a Boca Lemur-S ( http://bocasystems.com/ ). It connects via USB and you can see on their drivers page ( http://bocasystems.com/driver.php ) they don't have Windows 7 listed. I did contact their support and you can see from their email below they basically said to delete the drivers, and plug in the printer (I dont think they overlooked the part that its windows 7). I looked at the page you sent about running in compability mode, but all I have are the inf/dll files for the printers that are include in the extractable exe file on their drivers page (still no luck).

I understand Microsoft trying to help automate and make it easier for printers to be installed but I would think they would have a way to manually add a printer that is not a main stream printer. Anything else I can do?

Proceed with removing any print drivers you had originally installed for the BOCA printer and the following will help you confirm
    the host computer and BOCA printer are communicating. 1. Download and unzip the latest BOCA drivers (http://www.bocasystems.com/printer_drivers.exe ) to your host computer. It
    will be easier to locate this file if you create a directory or folder called BOCA. This should be done with the BOCA unplugged
    from the USB port. 2. Once you have the BOCA drivers downloaded and unzipped. Then connect the USB cable from the BOCA printer to your host
    computer and power up the printer. You need to make sure ticket stock is loaded into the printer and it is able to issue a
    self-test ticket when the TEST button is pressed. 3. The host computer should automatically load the correct BOCA driver for the printer. In this case is would be the
    FGL 26/46 300dpi print driver. 4. Once this is done go to the “Printer and Faxes” in Windows and right click on the FGL 26/46 300dpi driver icon.
    Click on properties to bring up and when the properties box comes up click on Print Test Page. 5. The printing of a ticket confirms good communication between the printer and host computer.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:49 AM
  • You say the printer shows under device manager???

Highlite right click and update the driver, point it to the .inf

Or find the .inf file for the printer highlite right and select install.

Or highlite the setup.exe (if there is one) right and select Troubleshoot compatibilty and follow the wizard to install
    watch the taskbar for the setup to start and then bring it up and run it. 
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:56 AM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:01 AM