none
trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed??

    Question

  • I get above  message whenever I try to login to my virtual windows 7 box.   It is a member of the domain, what is causing this erroneous message?   Any fix?  we disabled the local admin account.   What could we do to see it not happen again if we reload?     again, this is a vhd windows 7 running within windows 7

    thanks

    craig

    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:36 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

     

    ·         Mostly, the issue can be resolved by rejoining the computer to the domain.

     

    Leave the Domain

    ================

     

    1. Log on locally as a local administrator.

     

    2. Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

    3. Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings.

    4. Select Change and enter a Workgroup name, leaving the domain

     

    5. Restart the computer and log on locally as a local administrator.

     

    There are two methods to rejoin the domain:

     

    1.You can join the domain from the client if at the same time you can provide an administrator username and password on the domain.

    2.You can delete the existing computer account in Server Manager, recreate the computer account, synchronize the domain, and then on the client rejoin the domain.

     

    Connect your computer to a domain

     

    You may also refer to the following Knowledge Base(KB) article:

     

    Error 1789 when you use the LookupAccountName function on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

     

    Hope it helps.

     

    Regards,

     

    Sabrina

     

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:50 AM

All replies

  • This is unlikely to be an issue the machine being a virtual machine. There are two possibilities to start with.

    1. How did you create the VM? Did you move a physical machine to the virtual? In that case, if the original physical machine also a member of the domain, it will get confused.
    2. Do you use snapshots and go back? That will not work with Domains either, since it may update machine credentials time to time.

    Krish

    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

     

    ·         Mostly, the issue can be resolved by rejoining the computer to the domain.

     

    Leave the Domain

    ================

     

    1. Log on locally as a local administrator.

     

    2. Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

    3. Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings.

    4. Select Change and enter a Workgroup name, leaving the domain

     

    5. Restart the computer and log on locally as a local administrator.

     

    There are two methods to rejoin the domain:

     

    1.You can join the domain from the client if at the same time you can provide an administrator username and password on the domain.

    2.You can delete the existing computer account in Server Manager, recreate the computer account, synchronize the domain, and then on the client rejoin the domain.

     

    Connect your computer to a domain

     

    You may also refer to the following Knowledge Base(KB) article:

     

    Error 1789 when you use the LookupAccountName function on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

     

    Hope it helps.

     

    Regards,

     

    Sabrina

     

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:50 AM
  • This was a fresh vm created for development purposes.  What we did was remove from domain and rejoined as the other post suggested.

    A band-aid fix, but the underlying root cause is still a mystery.

     

    Craig

    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:22 PM
  •    You caqn call it a band-aid fix if you like. I call it standard procedure for this problem.

     


    Bill
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Resurrecting an old thread, but this should answer it:

    (Short answer - VM snapshots get the client out of sync w/ AD)

    http://www.petri.co.il/working-with-domain-member-virtual-machines-and-snapshots.htm


    --Seek Truth, and you will find Joy!
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:01 PM