none
Windows Backup did not complete successfully Error code: 0x8078012D -- Tried everything & out of ideas.

Question

• I'm out of ideas.  Please help.  I attempt to backup & create a system image.  It backs up the files fine, images the system partition, but fails while creating the main C: partition.  I've tried:

1) chkdsk of C: (backing up) and G: (backing up to) using /r and /f /r.  All scans completed successfully, no errors are found.  Although when I restart to run the C: scan, it just stays at 27% the whole time, restarts gets to 100% and says scan completed... 

2) setting "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" service to "automatic (delayed)".  service is running fine, no problems noted

3) setting "Volume Shadow Copy" service to "automatic (delayed)".  service is running fine, no problems noted

4) turning off anti spyware/virus (windows defender) (unclicked "turn on real-time protection").  Turned off fine, no problems noted.

5) using C: & G: -> properties -> disk clean up -> System Restore and Shadow Copies -> delete all but most recent restore point

6) using Intel SSD toolbox full diagnostic scan on C:.  No problems noted.

7) restarting windows (obviously, but ya... done that a few times during all of the above)

Despite all of this, my windows backup still fails.  I'm using Windows 8 64 bit, but have not turned on file history, elected to use the windows 7 backup to create a system image.  Please help :-/

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 10:26 PM

Answers

• Solved it.

While waiting for responses, I continued googling for answers.  One person with a similar problem mentioned he deleted all previous backups (although it didn't fix his problem).  Somewhat risky, but I was getting frustrated.  I manually deleted the remaining image file, windows backup folder, and another file (I think it was a .bin file? I forget, it was with the other two items) that windows had created in it's last backup.

Ran windows backup again, used the option "let windows choose what to back up" (it backed up all users, libraries, and created a system image).  It completed (hurray?) but indicated some files were skipped.  Windows actually gave me more information - when I clicked for details it created a notepad file listing some of the following:

C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser19\Contacts, C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser19\Searches

C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser23\Contacts, C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser23\Searches

C:\Users\Laptop\Searches, Contacts, etc

Windows said it couldn't find the specified folders...  

I checked C:\ and indeed those folders weren't there.  Laptop is an older user that is no longer valid, so I removed that user using Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts\Manage Accounts

The QBDataServiceUser19 & 23 are for my Quickbooks multi computer hosting.  I need those user profiles and windows seems intent on backing up it's contacts folder, so I just created those folder where windows was looking.  Ran the backup again using window's preferences. Backup completed successfully!  Ran it again using my preferences.  Backup completed successfully!

• Marked as answer by Tritonrider412 Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:42 AM

All replies

• The Windows 7 image creation tool is immature, unreliable and it lacks functionality. I recommend you use a mature third-party product, e.g. Acronis TrueImage.
    Tuesday, January 01, 2013 11:40 PM
  • Solved it.

While waiting for responses, I continued googling for answers.  One person with a similar problem mentioned he deleted all previous backups (although it didn't fix his problem).  Somewhat risky, but I was getting frustrated.  I manually deleted the remaining image file, windows backup folder, and another file (I think it was a .bin file? I forget, it was with the other two items) that windows had created in it's last backup.

Ran windows backup again, used the option "let windows choose what to back up" (it backed up all users, libraries, and created a system image).  It completed (hurray?) but indicated some files were skipped.  Windows actually gave me more information - when I clicked for details it created a notepad file listing some of the following:

C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser19\Contacts, C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser19\Searches

C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser23\Contacts, C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser23\Searches

C:\Users\Laptop\Searches, Contacts, etc

Windows said it couldn't find the specified folders...  

I checked C:\ and indeed those folders weren't there.  Laptop is an older user that is no longer valid, so I removed that user using Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts\Manage Accounts

The QBDataServiceUser19 & 23 are for my Quickbooks multi computer hosting.  I need those user profiles and windows seems intent on backing up it's contacts folder, so I just created those folder where windows was looking.  Ran the backup again using window's preferences. Backup completed successfully!  Ran it again using my preferences.  Backup completed successfully!

• Marked as answer by Tritonrider412 Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:42 AM
  • I was about ready to throw some money at the problem & buy a third-party product.  Fixed it just in time.  I'm a huge fan of Cobain Backup 11 Gravity for most of my backup needs, but I haven't figured out how to get it to image properly, hence, using windows backup.  
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:45 AM
  • I had the same problem with Windows 8 Backup error 0x8078012D and after much investigation found that my desktop upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro did not have the problem.  However my laptop was upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 8 Pro.  The resulting difference is that the upgrade from Windows 7 has the following users: Default, Default.migrated, Don (my user id), public, and UpdatusUser.  The laptop with the problem has the following users: Administrator, default, don (my user id), and public. 

On the laptop backup setup I changed the settings for data files backup to include only my user id.  No more problem and I get my data and a disk image complete.

My interpretation is that Windows 8 has a hidden administrator account and one time when I logged on I clicked on an arrow to the left of my logon id and it brought up and Administrator id and when I clicked on it an account was created for Administrator.  That is when my problem started with backup.  I hope that this may help someone.

• Proposed as answer by autopilot7 Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:40 AM
    • Edited by autopilot7 Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:56 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:39 AM