none
Screen stretched on Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8

Question

• Sadly I made the mistake of upgrading my Toshiba Equium A120 to Windows 8. It seemed time to upgrade as I couldn't install or use any of the latest software which I now found I needed, like the latest MS Office. So I decided to upgrade. I made the mistake of not doing any real research into what this would mean, made the mistake of "trusting" Microsoft... again! Anyway, I upgraded and now I'm stuck with it, so I need to the make the most of it. It has taken some time to get things configured on some sort of resemblance of sanity, however, one big problem remains... Circles on the screen appear as sideways stretched ovals. On checking the devices Windows 8 has installed, I believe the problem is the fact that it has installed Generic Monitor and Display adapters and drivers. As I remember the graphics adapter it used before was an ATI Radion, or something like that. I did a search everywhere I can think of including Toshiba and ATI websites but can find no updated drivers for the graphics adaptor. Can anyone help please?
    • Edited by colin21958 Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:02 AM
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• During upgrade you had option to check for compatibility issues which report you non-compatible applications and Microsoft Office should work on Windows 8 (depend on version).

For this problem install the latest driver from Toshiba website the one that work in previous version of Windows and also run Windows Update and install all updates.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:29 AM
  • I did run the compatibility checker and it listed my graphics card as being compatible. I checked on the Toshiba website, found the driver install files and run them, but they don't work. They just start and then do nothing...

• Edited by colin21958 Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:14 PM Couldn;t find drivers, now have done.
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

According to the description, I know the problem occurs under Windows 8. For quick and accurate answers to your questions, It is recommended to initial a new thread in our Windows 8 forum for furher help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w8itpro

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:34 AM