none
Neat Receipts

Question

• I have a problem with Neat Receipts not being compatible with windows 7 if someone have a solution please let me know thanks.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 9:46 PM

Answers

• I assume you are using 32 bit Windows 7?, the software is not compatable with Vista or XP 64 bit,
    "System Requirements

• Microsoft® Windows® XP or Vista® (64 bit is not currently supported)"

Also try installing in compatability mode for Vista if you encounter errors

Monday, May 25, 2009 10:43 PM

All replies

• I assume you are using 32 bit Windows 7?, the software is not compatable with Vista or XP 64 bit,
    "System Requirements

• Microsoft® Windows® XP or Vista® (64 bit is not currently supported)"

Also try installing in compatability mode for Vista if you encounter errors

Monday, May 25, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Win 7 comes with [XP Mode], kind of Virtual PC that Windows XP installed. You can use this to run any applications are able to run on XP.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:52 PM
  • XP Mode doesn't quite work during the installation process.  Despite the 'mode', the installation is somehow detecting the natvie OS. Mind you, as I am implying, this is attempting from a fresh install on both Win 7 and Neat Receipts.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:20 AM
  • My Windows 7 is the 64 bit version. When I try to load in "compatibilty mode" I receive an error message that install cannet run while neat receipts is locked. How do I unlock?
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

My name is Mike Landis.  I work for the Neat Company, the makers of NeatReceipts and NeatWorks.

Our newer NeatWorks 4.0 releases do support both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7.  Most of the posts in this thread appear to reference NeatReceipts 3.0 or earlier, which is only intended for 32 bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista.

If you'd like to use our product on Windows 7, make sure you've upgraded to the 4.0 release.  If you do have NeatWorks 4.0 and are still having difficulty on Windows 7, please contact our support department by emailing support@neatco.com or by calling 866-NEATREC.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Hi Mike L,

I have a statement for you since you work for 'The Neat Company', But first let me state I am not against making profit, but I am against gouging, what Neat has done is they have gone out of their way to lock out 64 bit OS's from using any thing BUT their new product, forcing many of us to buy NEW software when the old software is all we need.

If Neat was a responsible company to its consumers it would issue a 64 bit OS compatable driver for FREE ...

My question to you is, will there be a DRIVER for free, I dont need the software so much as my sodtware will mangeage the device

if not then I for one will be returning my neat .. and it is a neat product, its a shame about the companys way of doing business.
    • Proposed as answer by VinceNunez Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Hi, I agree completely with the comments about Neat Receipts.  If we have already purchased an older version of Neat Receipts, there should be a free upgrade/download to allow use on Windows 7. 

Friday, January 15, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Your company is ripping people off Mike!! I just bought my scanner and now, 3 months later I have to pay an additional $30 to make it work with the newest version of windows! I will be returning mine and going with a different company's scanner that will work with Win 7 right out of the box!!
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:10 AM
  • I feel sorry that I did buy.. Neat Receipts.. havnt uses much... now win 7 Istalled... now just for

new driver... paying hurts... if old products.. works why ..... Probably I will revert to my Scanners...

Alas what I can do .. my  Neat scaner.. well may be my  collection Item..

Thanks for ... at leat answering....

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:46 PM
  • I gotta say, Mr. Landis, that I am unaware of ANY other company that sells a hardware device and will not update drivers unless the customer pays.  That is a unique business model, and I'm quite shocked at the hubris of your marketing department.

What really kills me is that I purchased the neat receipts scanner when it was $249 (not the current $199)- and my reward for supporting your product as an early adopter is to be shaken down for another $30 so it will merely connect with a newer version of windows.

I suppose the hacks in Marketing have calculated that this way of doing business will alienate some of your faithful customers, but in the end, the quarterly P&L will look fabulous.  Just so you know, I too have calculated that I can EASILY digitize business cards with my iPhone with a $5.99 app, and I can make .pdfs with ANY scanner.  The receipt software?  I can do without it.  I downloaded another $2.99 app and enter the receipt info as I'm walking through the parking lot.  I'll just file the receipt.

In short, I hope the business model you folks have come up with is working for you.  I, however, am moving in another direction.

Ciao, sugar!

Friday, June 04, 2010 4:34 AM
  •  Don't know which Neat Receipts scanner you have, but most of them are sold in other countries under the Plustek brand. My Neat Receipts SCSA4601EU is the Plustek Opticslim M12, and I found a working driver for Windows 7 64-bit on www.plustek.com. Try taking a look there.

Neat Receipts had told me I would need to buy the new version of their software if I wanted a 64-bit driver.
    • Proposed as answer by Bigfoot101 Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:59 PM
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:52 PM
  • I Agree with this writer that it's a shame that a company will not provide at least the driver to continue using the scanner. For me I refuse to pay anything to such a company, what will happen with the next OS upgrade will we have to pay again?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Notice no more replies from Mr. Mike.  LOL

Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 3.30GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * ** " Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:21 PM
  • I must chime in with everyone else posting on this thread.  I recently purchased the NeatReceipts Mobile scanner at retail prices.  The software is version 3.0 and does not install with Windows 7.  I attempted all of the internet suggested work-arounds with compatability modes, different versions of .net, etc.  I wrote the company and have no response. 

Unfortunately, I'm a dumbass and lost my receipt and the store will not refund or exchange the product.  It bites big time to read I have to pay an additional thirty bucks to TRY v 4.0.  Given my experience thus far, I simply do not trust this company.  Why in the world should I pour out more good money after bad experiences?  The installation is long, and it simply didn't work at all.

I feel absolutely ripped off.

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:20 AM
  • I was able to get this working in windows 7 by using the Windows XP Mode virtual machine supplied for free. 

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Naethyn Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:22 PM
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi Mike. I just found a few of your products lying around our office and thought i'd use them to get myself organized. Wonderfully enough, I found this thread and am I glad I did. Charging for drivers? That's awesome. What a horrible horrible business practice. 

But here's the thing, Mike: I'm willing to bet I can get this working without your expensive drivers and bloated software. I bet I can do it without violating your terms of service too. And when I do, I'm going to post it here for these people who have already paid and simply want to use their product without being ripped off.

Also, reading through my book of goodies, it doesn't say anything about not working in future versions of windows. Nor does it say anything about having to buy drivers for maintain compatibility. I wonder if the good folks at Redmond have anything to say about this. This type of practice opens up a door that I'd rather we not go down (charging for drivers).

I'm glad I never gave you money and I'll make sure I never do.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Well, that took me all of 15 minutes.

See folks, a company like NeatTech isn't in the hardware business. They are in the crappy software business. Their little scanner is really just a rebranded PlusTek OpticSlim M12[1]. As such, simply going to the PlusTek website[2] and downloading the M12 drivers will result in your device working properly in any flavor of Windows you like. So keep your $$$ and get the drivers for free. Legally.

And let this serve as a warning to any other company stupid enough to try this. Charging for upgrades to software is fine. But when someone buys hardware from you, you shouldn't be charging just to make the darn thing work. And if you *DO* try to do that, be smart enough to do more than slap a sticker on the hardware and call it your own.

Hugs and kisses!

[1]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838122011&cm_re=PlusTek_M12-_-38-122-011-_-Product

[2]: http://plustek.com/

EDIT: As a follow up, the DigiScan software from PlusTek is actually rather cool. Has a lot of neat functionality to it that I wasn't expecting. For free. It's also a lot cheaper (and has quantity discounts on newegg and I'm sure other sites as well). Fun.

• Proposed as answer by Noneroy Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:17 PM
  • I bought the Neat Scanner, with the driver upgrade already.  BUT, I also have WIN7 Home Premium Ed 64 bit.  AND, even with multiple service / remote access calls to NeatCo, the scanner STILL will not work.  They claim that it is WIN7, and that it was a "software load issue".  Although, when I have WIN Vista, it never was a problem.  I spent all this time, about a month, and nothing worked.  Anyone have any ideas to get this to work?  My computer cannot load the driver, although the most recent Neat software is loaded.  HELP!!

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:46 PM
  • This is the best fix out there thanks for the information works great.
    • Proposed as answer by SirKay Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:40 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Charging for drivers is the most absurd thing Ive ever heard... lol
    Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 3.30GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * ** " Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 01, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Noneroy!  Great sleuthing. What a liberating feeling it was to download the driver... and watch the scanner work flawlessly on my Win7Pro...LOL.

As for Cheap Receipts... well, nuff said.

Friday, December 03, 2010 2:51 AM
  • How did you get the Plustek driver to work with the Neat Mobile Scanner?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I've installed a number of M12 drivers and none have worked:

- OpticSlimM12V4301_12L.zip
    - 74B_OpticSlim_M12_Corporate_V.3.1.0.4.zip
    - M12_Corporate_V.3.1.0.3.zip
    - M12PlusV4302World.zip

After plugging in the Neat Mobile Scanner, I install the driver "from disk" and choose the directory where the new installation is stored --

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plustek\OpticSlim M12\setup

That successfully installs the "USB Color Scanner" driver to the Neat Mobile Scanner.

The problem is the scanner is never available according to the "scan properties" in device manager. If I go into Adobe Acrobat and "Scan to PDF" it doesn't recognize the device.

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:19 AM
  • I have nm-1000 model and neatworks v4 sp2, couldn't get it to work on either 32 or 64 bit win 7, tried every possible driver none worked, then found it on their website.

http://neatreceipts.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/91/related/1

downloaded v4 sp6, same key as v4 sp2, worked right away, hope this helps some people...

Friday, February 04, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Bigfoot has the answer if you are using the "Scanalizer".  I went to the website that he listed and downloaded the drivers for the scanner.

Just type in "plustek opticslim m12" in the search box and it takes you to the download page.  Same download for 32 and 64 bit, and the software works great so far.

"I found a working driver for Windows 7 64-bit on www.plustek.com. Try taking a look there." <-- there is your answer, thanks Bigfoot101 !!

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:19 PM
  • An outstanding THANK YOU for this post. I was frustrated with the idea of having to pay for updated 'drivers' essentially for a device that I already purchased and works with Vista 64-b. Couldn't swallow the principle of the matter paying for a software update for a device when the device itself needs no update. Disappointing business model indeed.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Thanks for all the info. Saved me from spending more money with this worthless company.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:16 AM
  • I got the new driver, but I still can't install the NR 3.0 version of the software.

The error I get is "Unsupported Operating System" Your current operating system is not supported. NeatReceipts Professional requires the 32-bit version of Windows XP SP2 or later. Please install NeatReceipts Professional on a different machine running a supported version of Windows."

Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Well Windows 7 has many different systems - professional - ultimate - and HOME --- and windows 7 home edition - cannot use the xp mode so much for that!  I am sending back my neat receipts - gonna buy Fuji!!  What a rip off that driver updates are not supplied for free.  I have drawers full of software that ran on XP 98 95 - and I am certainly not going to downgrade to windows vista -   so back goes the neat receipts
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:25 AM
  • i thank you so much for this - as a disabled senior citizen, money is tight - i scan my medical receipts to get money to eat....so I bought this contraption - and then find out I cannot use it until I read what you wrote -- PlusTek M12.  I will try that --- also, to pay what I did for this so called "new" scanner in a box --- I guess I goofed - I bought it on Amazon.com at a reduced price - well then the 30.00 adding to it is just too much to bare.

I will try to use the new software and will advise if it works on my windows 7 computer.

Thank you

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:38 AM
  • It DOES NOT WORK WITH ALL VERSIONS OF WINDOWS 7 0 ESPECIALLY THE HOME VERSION OF WINDOWS 7 SO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU SAY IT WILL WORK - READ THE ARTICLE
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:39 AM
  • I just tried to install my Neat Receipts on my new Windows 7 PC (home version).  Thanks to all of the comments found here, I was able to better identify the issue.  I went to Neat Receipts help desk and submitted a help ticket.  Within 1 hour the tech replied via email giving me a link to download version 4 and a key to activate it.  No charge & worked great.   www.neatreceipts.com/support     

Neat Receipts addressed my issue in a very timely manner and I am a happy camper now!

Monday, December 05, 2011 12:41 AM
  • I've been using NeatReceipts for the past four years, which includes tax, personal, credit account, etc. info which was all scanned and THEN SHREDDED.  I just attempted to access my info and could not and got the message that 'MY PRODUCT CODE HAD EXPIRED!!!!'  What the..........!!  I can't even access any of my documents because it is locked into a NeatReceipts BLACK HOLE.  I've shredded everything.  When I initially purchased the NeatReceipts, there was nothing advertised about the software expiring.  I've been using Windows 7 since early 2011 and using the NeatReceipts which I recently backed up in August 2011.  But now I can't access any of my documents.  I SHREDDED EVERYTHING i SCANNED SO NOW I DON'T HAVE ANY COPIES OF ANY OF MY DOCUMENTS.  The website is telling me I have to upgrade to 4.0 and pay $29.  If I had known this would happen I would never have purchased the NeatReceipts scanner.  The company should let consumers know that upgrading is not free.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Nuance points the finger at you. Your using a modified version of paperport and have given them a bad name. Your implementation sucks and does not work. Your drivers are like a virus and can not be removed but getting in and editing the registers to get rid of you.
    Friday, February 03, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Try this everybody :  J:\Neat recipt download\The Neat Company - Neat 5 Upgrade Instructions.htm    

It works !

Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Try this everybody :  J:\Neat recipt download\The Neat Company - Neat 5 Upgrade Instructions.htm   

It works !

Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:57 PM