none
USB Headset doesnt work anymore

Question

• I installed windows 7 and it worked w no problems. I then upgraded my Processor, MB, Vid card, RAM, and windows 7 worked fine when it started up. But the sound for headset that I use to play games with doesnt work. When I try to test it under playback devices, configure, test. It says that it "failed to play test tone." Ive tried multiple USB ports, and the mic works. Only the sound playback on this headset doesnt.  External Speakers work fine. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled drivers through windows.

It worked before I upgraded hardware and reinstalled. Anyone have any ideas?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:40 AM

Answers

• Yeah, I have it and I installed it.

I just redid a clean install of windows wiping all files and folders, but it still doesnt work.... Im at a loss what to do now, since it worked before.
    Ok - so have you gone through the software to see if there is anything stopping the sound from going through the headset speakers while its hooked up, maybe the software is not sensing it.

Try latest intel drivers, that is assuming your audio is on the motherboard, also what is the model of the headset?

M/B - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

BIOS - http://www.evga.com/Support/Drivers/default.asp?switch=2

Realtek drivers -http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Try it again after you install latest drivers, BIOS and software.

• Marked as answer by TheJace Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:08 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• You never mentioned what motherboard you installed and whether or not you used their drivers to update the operating system with. You're probably will also have to uninstall and reinstall the Windows Media Center but if the headset is the only thing that's not working, then I would concentrate on the motherboard drivers and replace the windows drivers with the Windows 7 drivers that came on the CD Driver Utility disk that came with the motherboard - whatever it is, or go look on their website for the very latest drivers for that motherboard.  There are rare times when you may have to go back to an older driver for it to work correctly.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:11 AM
  • I have the Intel EVGA P55LE. I first tried using the original drivers that came with windows that worked before. Ive also tried going to the speaker website, Tritton Technologies, but that didnt help either. Doesnt seem like they updated thier drivers for windows 7, and the bee music utility doesnt show up properly. I have tried the CD that came with the mobo to download the realtek drivers, but that doesnt seem to be the problem as the other speakers work fine.

How would I revert back to the older drivers?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:54 PM
  • You can accomplish that from Device Manager.

Start (orb) -> Right click 'My Computer' -> Manage -> Device Manager -> expand the device you want to roll back drivers on (probably need to plug in the headset) -> right click on the device and go to 'Properties' -> Drivers (tab) -> Roll Back drivers (if you don't see it, you didn't upgrade that driver).

You may also want to check your sound settings in Control Panel. I had a MIC that didn't work out of the box, and I had to right click on the 'Speakers' (by where windows displays time) on the taskbar -> Sounds -> Recording (your case would be playback) -> Double click the 'Speakers' or 'Headset' if that shows up when you plug it in -> Then go to Levels

Josh
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I cant roll back drivers, as it was a new install. Going to sound settings and playing with levels didnt work.  Ive also reinstalled my audio drivers from my motherboard, nothing

I went ahead and reinstalled windows 7  media player too, which didnt work. Ive also noticed that even the sample music that came with windows 7 doesnt work either, even after reinstalling windows media player. Playing the test file for the usb headset doesnt work still, but works for the external speakers

The odd thing is it all worked great before I upgraded hardware... But I even tried to reinstall windows 7, but instead of doing a brand new clean install, I did an upgrade, would that matter?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:21 PM
  • It could - possibly due to a different usb controller. But very odd that your mic works, which means its communicating with Windows.

Do you have any realtek software installed with the driver?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:38 PM

I just redid a clean install of windows wiping all files and folders, but it still doesnt work.... Im at a loss what to do now, since it worked before.

I played with the levels, line in, mic, but didnt fix it. When I try to play a audio file with wm with the usb set as primary, windows comes up with an error. But regular speakers as default, wm will play.

Will it matter if i keep the usb in during the clean install?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:43 PM

Ok - so have you gone through the software to see if there is anything stopping the sound from going through the headset speakers while its hooked up, maybe the software is not sensing it.

Try latest intel drivers, that is assuming your audio is on the motherboard, also what is the model of the headset?

M/B - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

BIOS - http://www.evga.com/Support/Drivers/default.asp?switch=2

Realtek drivers -http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Try it again after you install latest drivers, BIOS and software.

• Marked as answer by TheJace Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:08 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I finallt got it working!! I reinstalled the chipset drivers and the MB drivers, and it worked!! Thank you so much. I guess I just needed the most current versions, and not the ones that came on the disk. Thanks jpag!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:08 PM
  • No problem. I am glad it is fixed.

Have a good one!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:20 PM
  • I have been having the same problem, but I think I know what the problem is and if what you did worked, it's pretty likely.  When you upgraded to Windows 7, did you have to upgrade your BIOS too?  My USB headset worked perfectly until I had to upgrade to Windows 7--when I did that, the Windows installation told me I had to upgrade my BIOS so I went and downloaded the most recent version and since then my headset earphones haven't worked.  Since you reinstalled the original chipset drivers, I think that probably took care of the conflict.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 12:51 AM