none
customized windows 7 Image and Specific IP address

Question

• Hi,

Normally when we creat master image we deploy it simply, but what to do if the requirement is like "Every machine should have specific IP address".

So please let me know how we can do this ?

Regards
    Malik

Monday, April 26, 2010 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Malik,

Just to be clear - do you need every machine to have a static IP address, or are you using a DHCP server and you want every machine to have a specific reserved IP address?

Thanks

-Tony Mann

Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:44 PM
    Owner
  • Many thanks for the reply !

No i do not have any DHCP in my work envirnment. Any ideas / tutorial how to achive specific IP config. for each machine when you have one master image ?

Rehgards

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:28 PM
  • I used to do this kind of work with one master image containing all the right drivers (and more usually). This image would be in a sysprep state of course. Then I would distribute using a bartpe SDI image (PXE boot) which would run Altiris or Ghost for me over the network. After imaging, the clients would go through sysprep to establish themselves then run a .vbs script to get their own mac address and then connect to a little database on the server to retrieve details about what name and address they should have (depending on their mac address of course). I will write Desktop Virtualization blog for help user. Thanks.
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:03 AM
  • Lets assume that master image is ready and I am supposed to use Ghost for the deployment , now if i deploy the master image then how new clients can get specific IPs ?

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:23 AM
  • We only support Microsoft deployment tools and technologies in this forum, so we cannot comment on how you would use Ghost for deployment. Thanks.

-Tony Mann

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:30 AM
    Owner
  • Ok, we assume that we have got our master image and stored it in .WIM format by imagex. NOW how each depolyed image can get specefic IP ?
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:39 PM
  • You can create an Answer File that contains your settings for unattended installation, including a static IP. I know you are not using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), but there is a specific MDT TechNet forum that contains good information that is better suited to answer your specific question. Additionally, you can refer to the Deployment Tools Technical Reference or the Pilot/Deploy page on the Microsoft Springboard site.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:17 PM
    Owner
  • I am using Windows Deployment Services (WDS). You said answer file, if i have 100 machines to deploy image then i have to have 100 files ?
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Sir.
    No you will not need 100 answer files.

First I would have to ask why you want static IP on 100 machines. You really should look hard at a simple DHCP solution. If you have asked yourself that question and still need static ips fair enough. But this is a major departure from common best practice and is likely to cause you grief later on. Some of the grief will be apparent, as in things wont work without your further manual intervention and the more deadly grief may not be apparent because it will be performance related.
    That said I accept that you may have totally valid reasons for static ip.

So the next thing I would do is go through the pain once and for all and capture / create a list of the Mac addresses of the 100 machines. ( and possibly the hostnames that are currently applied or that you wish applied )

I am a freelance consultant so I tend to be less politically correct with my answers. I do not mean to cause offence but…….
    If you are posing the question “will I need 100 answer files,” then you are missing a fundamental grasp of the deployment process and the answerfile’s use in that process.

The answerfile does as the name implies, provides automated / scripted “answers” to what could be considered user or technician input of a manual install.

So for example you would list all your Mac addresses and their associated Ip addresses in the one answerfile and have your deployment process query the mac address and assign the corresponding static address from your pre prepared list. Once you get into the deployment process this, and other customisation becomes clearer. I have been building corporate labs for years and may I suggest that the best place to start is use as much default as possible. I cant recommend MDT2010 enough and I could plug my videos for quick start to windows 7 deployment using MDT2010 but I wont. I see you’ve decided not to use MDT

Forget all your specific customisation requirements and get your head around deploying a handful of workstations using your preferred tools. Once you have the deployment process itself boxed off then you can think of how you wish to customise it. Mastering the default will introduce you to all the customisation tools and options along the way. Remember this is supposed to be POC or proof of concept. Fear not that you will have a specific custom requirement that cant be dealt with somehow by one of the tools or technologies when the time is right.  Do not start out to make your first attempt anywhere near you beta. I usually aim for 5 builds for a poc it would go something like this.

Build a default OS POC in VM. Using no applications (not even IE)
    Rebuild using custom drivers
    Rebuild adding IE & applications
    Rebuild apply security and basic customised networking.
    Rebuild and present as POC fit for testing.

Ive been in organisations where this process has taken over six months and some where its done in a few weeks. And yo can and should get this far before you go anywhere near a live network.
    I could spout on for ages but I at the bottom of the page. I hope this is more help than hindrance.
    Regards
    Kris

Oh i have just re read the whole thread.
    I see you plan to use WDS. and that you have NO DCHP in your network...........MMMMM
    That is going to cause you major grief.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:10 PM
  • N A Malik,

Did your question get answered? If so, please mark one of the posts as the answer to this thread. Thanks

-Tony Mann

Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:02 PM
    Owner
  • No answer yet :(

Here is question again :

I hae WDS ... captured OS image .... deployed that image to number of machines .... HOW i can control that each machine have a specific IP configuration ?

Regards
    Malik

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Ok now i understand your senario a little diffrent.
    If you have deployed already.

You can use the NETSH command to set a remote computer to a static IP address.

I am NOT going to attempt to give you the command line here but if you had a list of 100 hostnames then you you could either scrip or manually run the Netsh command to set these machines to static IP.

Of course you will have rights issues and maybe physical connectivity issues to deal with but sort those and it should work.

Thats How I would do It.

Regards

Friday, May 21, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thxs for the time, well I am not sure how to do that. Suppose 100 machines are ready (image duplication is completed) then how to run that command ???? Rememebr that machines are in OOBE mode so the user can have the "First Boot Experience" , so I am not supposed to instal lthe OS and then use any command.

Did you get my scenario ?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Ok.
    Have you got a list of the hostnames for machines you want to set static IPs for?

Collate the list.

lookup Netsh -r
    Have a try and come back again with your relevant question.

I am not going to do your work for you but I will help you do it for yourself.
    This part of your question is not restricted to the POC jumpstart and should not realy be here.
    You may wish to research NETSH elsewhere such as a windows network troubleshooting forum.

From what you describe what you are trying to do should be quite simple.

Regards 

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Hi,

Well, try to understand my situation .... I am not supposed to Install the OS  (to give user Out Of Box Experience). Then how i can use the Netsh -r ?????

Did you got my question ?

Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:15 PM
  • No I an sorry I do not understan your question.

You say "I am not supposed to Install the OS "
    I'm sure you dont mean that. Because if you are not supposed to be installing the OS, why are you ?

So I assume that this is a mistake.
    Anyway let me see if i can help you to help yourself.

First do you have a list of the Hostnames that you want to change. You will need that (as i have mentioned before)

Then Go to command prompt and type NETSH /? This will show you what options you can use.

You will need to type netsh with the correct arguments to change the settins on a remote computer.
    this can be scripted so that you can do all 100 machines together but try one at a time to get the syntax correct.

This is not really a question for this forum. It belongs in a windows networking forum. I am still not sure what method you have used to deploy your image because you mention OOBE is not part of the POC.

But get your list of hostnames and look at the NETSH command then come back with your question.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Thank you for the the time.

Well I am not suppose to Instal lthe OS, this means I duplicated the OS like in Factory State so End User can can instal lthe OS and set different options as well.

I have list of IPs (10.0.0.10 to 10.0.0.110) that 100 PC should have that IP range.

I created the Image and deployed with Ghost.

Monday, May 31, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Ok Malik now I understand your "not suppose to Instal". I see what you mean.

So you know the IPs that you want to use.
    Do you know the hostnames for each PC that you want to give a static Ip address. Get these together. In an excel spreadsheet is a good place to start.

Ok me if you understand this. when you have the list.

Chris

Monday, May 31, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I created the Image and deployed with Ghost. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should not be discussing this here.

This is a Microsoft Windows Forum. Ghost is NOT a Microsoft Product
    I do not think that WIN 7 deployment via ghost is supported at all!!!!!

Tichc That'll teach me !!

Monday, May 31, 2010 8:19 PM