none
Physical network adapters not available in VPC

Question

• I did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit.  Installed VPC 2007 and copied over some VHDs I had from my office computer (working from home now).  I was able to successfully get internet connections from within my various VHDs (guest operating systems include Win XP, Vista and Window 7).  I was running into the problem of losing TAB key functionality in the VPCs and I found that the problem was solved with the new Windows Virtual PC. 

I followed the instructions for converting/upgrading 2007 version VHDs to the new WVPC (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee706516%28WS.10%29.aspx).  After following all of the instructions (including shutting down the converted VHD), I noticed that the only Network Adapters I have available in the VPC settings are "Not Connected", "Internal Network", and "Shared Networking (NAT)".  My physical network adapters from my host are not showing.  I have an Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection and I have a wireless adapter. 

I've double checked my host Local Area Connection and I have the Virtual PC Network Filter Driver checked.  Despite trying various solutions for using Internal or NAT that I've seen in searches, I'm unable to get an internet connection in the VPC.  At best I can get a Local Only connection -- unless I connect my Host to my company's VPN.  For some reason, once I do that I get an internet connection in the VPCs.  However, I don't want to have the VPN to my company on my host due to internet monitoring and filtering. 

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my host network adapters available on my VPCs so that I can get an internet connection?

Thanks!
    • Edited by LLJohnson Friday, January 15, 2010 10:00 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:47 PM

Answers

• I found out what was causing my specific problem.  It was the Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter.  It evidently doesn't play well with the new WVPC.  After unchecking it on my host's Local Area Connection, the Settings for the Networking adapter on my VPC's had the physical adapter available.  After setting the VPC to the physical adapter, starting the VPC and repairing the connection, I was able to get internet access and connect to my company's VPN from within the VPC.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. 

Loretta
    • Marked as answer by LLJohnson Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:48 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:08 AM

All replies

• If you create a new VM do the host's NICs show up?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:06 PM
  • No, they do not show up in a brand new VM.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:35 PM
  • The simplest thing is to probably remove and reinstall Windows VPC.
    You can remove it via Features in control panel.

To re-download, the direct link is: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2b6d5c18-1441-47ea-8309-2545b08e11dd
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:54 PM
  • I unchecked the Feature and also uninstalled the Windows Update.  I then re-installed using the link you provided.  I created a new VM and still do not have the physical network adapters from the host machine displaying for selection.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:18 PM
  • You could try updating your NIC drivers, in some cases the drivers can be buggy with the VPC network service.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Tried that and still no physical adapters available.  Does how WVPC determines the physical adapters?  I appreciate your assistance.  I really need to get this fixed as it's adversely affecting my ability to do my job. 

Thanks!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:20 AM
  • So I may have been going about this all wrong. According to a friend of mine, on VPC 2007 (and probably WVPC) only physcial adapters not being used would show up.  He says I was probably seeing a virtual adapter (NAT) created by VPC 2007 and not an actual adapter.  If that is the case then I need to start a new topic to see why selecting NAT on WVPC does not get me internet access.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Uh, no.  With all versions of VPC, you should be able to select any NIC that IS active.  It does not matter if the NIC is not being used by the host, in fact, that is generally the one you need to use, because it is connected to the network. 
    If the NIC is disabled you can't use it at all in VPC.

NAT should get you internet access...there seems to be some underlying network access issue here.

After re-reading your initial post, I have a couple remedial questions.
    1. How do you connect to the internet?  Is your host PC connected directly to your cable/dsl modem, or is there a router in between that is providing IP addresses.  It there's no router, your issue is probably IP related as many ISPs only give you 1 IP which is being used by your host PC and your VM can't get a IP.
    2. you said you can connect to the Internet when you're using VPN.  When you look at the Network settings of your VM, what do you have in the drop down menu? YOu should have "not connected, internal network, shared networking (nat), and at least 1 physical nic, correct?
    3. What adapter do you have selected now?  What adapter do you have selected when it works via VPN?

Monday, January 18, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Whew, I thought that I was losing my mind. 

1. My host pc (win 7 64 bit) connects to a router that is then connected to my dsl modem.
    2. My host has internet access with just the regular Local Area Connection.  (192.168.0.11).  If I connect from my host to my company's VPN, all of my VPCs will suddenly have internet access.  My options in the Settings for the VPCs are Not Connected, Internal Network, Shared Networking (NAT), NO physical nic. 
    3.  I have the Shared Networking (NAT) (since I don't have any physical nics to select). That's the same for when it works with host VPN connection to work.

I'm pulling my hair out here.  Since your last post, I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Virtual PC Network Filter Driver -- shutting down the host PC in between. 

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Loretta
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:59 PM
  • If I can't get access to the physical NIC on my host I'd be happy if I could get the NAT option to work so that I could get internet access AND be able to connect from the VPC to my company's VPN.

Loretta
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:48 PM
  • The only thing I can think of now is that maybe some of the VPC2007 network drivers are still around and its messing with WinVPC's network installation.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:23 PM
  • What should I look for and where -- in the VPCs or on the Host or both?
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:58 PM
  • It would just be the host.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Any ideas on what to look for? 

I did an uninstall of the 2007 version before installing the newer win 7 version.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Not to be a pest, but does anyone have any ideas on how to find what Virtual PC 2007 components might still be installed that might conflict with Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 being able to recognize the physical nic's on the host?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:04 PM
  • look for vmnetsrm*, vmnetsrv*
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Okay, so that got me somewhere.  Here's what I found:

vmnetsrm. nf-18dl8l2b Folder
    VMNetSrM.inf 2 different locations

vmnetsrv.inf.84b92f34 Folder
    VMNetSrv Folder
    VMNetsrv.cat 5 different locations
    VMNetsrm.dll 3 different locations
    VMNetSrv.inf 2 different locations
    VMNetSrv.sys 3 different locations

Do I just delete these files and folders?

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Okay, so that got me somewhere.  Here's what I found:

vmnetsrm. nf-18dl8l2b Folder  
    VMNetSrM.inf 2 different locations

vmnetsrv.inf.84b92f34 Folder  
    VMNetSrv Folder  
    VMNetsrv.cat 5 different locations
    VMNetsrm.dll 3 different locations
    VMNetSrv.inf 2 different locations
    VMNetSrv.sys 3 different locations

Do I just delete these files and folders?

before we delete, just add a .old to all the files, just in case, so vmnetsrv.inf would become vmnetsrv.inf.old
    Since VPC2007 is not installed, removing these shouldn't have an adverse affect on your system, but I've never run into your situation before.
    Also, do you have your system, or at least your valuable data backed up before you proceed. 
    Like I said, this shouldn't wreck your system, but I make no guarantees.
    After renaming, reinstall WinVPC, and see what happens. 

You could hold off and see if one of the MSFT ppl get back to you also.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:42 PM
  • I unchecked the Feature and also uninstalled the Windows Update.  I then re-installed using the link you provided.  I created a new VM and still do not have the physical network adapters from the host machine displaying for selection.

I'm having the very same problems you're describing. There is NO network adapter except for NAT. I can only see my local network. Nothing past the router. I've also reinstalled VPC under the 64 bit Win7 Professional. Maybe I have the wrong version? VirtualPC 6.0.156.0 Unknown if there's SPs' for this.

I loaded up 2 other vhd's I use at school and neither have any access to anything other then NAT but they work at the college under Win 7 Enterprise and recognize the ethernet card. My machine here is ethernet plugged in. The host machine works just fine.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:29 PM
  • I'm sorry you are having the problem, but I'm also glad as it means that maybe we can get this solved.  As Smjain indicated it may be because there is leftover files from the 2007 version.  Did you have 2007 on your Win 7 host?  Can you check to see if you have any of the files I listed?

If there's  any MFST ppl out there, could you please help us determine what's going on?

Thanks!
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:30 AM
  •   I would simply do a clean install of the host OS, then reinstall VPC.

You have already wasted more time on this than the problem is worth.

Bill
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I've got it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Here's the solution and the link!!!!!!!!

After you've completed the below. Reboot your Computer to allow the changes to take effect. Open up your VPC "Settings" window(don't start any vhd's) and you will now have the ability to choose your network adapter. I just got done with this and it's working. I now have outside Internet Access.

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2007/01/15/fixing-broken-virtual-networking.aspx

Periodically I receive emails from people who find them and they start Virtual PC/Virtual Server, it reports that it was unable to initiate virtual networking on any network adapters.  There are two common causes of this problem, though they both seem to be related to something just going wrong during the installation of Virtual PC/Virtual Server's virtual networking:

Number 1: The Virtual Machine Network Services driver is installed but not enabled.  To fix this:

On a Windows XP system you’ll need to: This worked for my Win7pro install...

1. Open the Start menu and click on Control Panel.
    2. Click on Network and Internet Connections and then Network Connections.
      If you are using classic mode you just need to double click on Network Connections.
    3. Locate your network adapter, right click on it and select Properties.

1. Check the Virtual Machine Network Services entry and click OK.
    Published Monday, January 15, 2007 11:43 PM by Virtual PC Guy Filed under:
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:16 AM
  • A clean install of the Host OS?  I would like to avoid that if at all possible.  I *just* got everything finally installed and configured as I like after doing the original clean install of Win 7 64 bit.  Before I would do that I would go back to using 2007 and dealing with the TAB key problem. 

I would beg to differ that I've wasted time.  I'm not the only one who is having this problem.

Now, does anyone have a more constructive suggestion about the leftover Virtual PC 2007 files?

Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:20 AM
  • I've got it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Here's the solution and the link!!!!!!!!

After you've completed the below. Reboot your Computer to allow the changes to take effect. Open up your VPC "Settings" window(don't start any vhd's) and you will now have the ability to choose your network adapter. I just got done with this and it's working. I now have outside Internet Access.

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2007/01/15/fixing-broken-virtual-networking.aspx

Periodically I receive emails from people who find them and they start Virtual PC/Virtual Server, it reports that it was unable to initiate virtual networking on any network adapters.  There are two common causes of this problem, though they both seem to be related to something just going wrong during the installation of Virtual PC/Virtual Server's virtual networking:

Number 1: The Virtual Machine Network Services driver is installed but not enabled.  To fix this:

On a Windows XP system you’ll need to: This worked for my Win7pro install...

1. Open the Start menu and click on Control Panel .
    2. Click on Network and Internet Connections and then Network Connections .
      If you are using classic mode you just need to double click on Network Connections .
    3. Locate your network adapter, right click on it and select Properties .

1. Check the Virtual Machine Network Services entry and click OK .
    Published Monday, January 15, 2007 11:43 PM by Virtual PC Guy Filed under:

Please bear with me on this as the above instructions do not match what you see on Windows 7...

1.  That's the same, so I can do that
    2.  Okay, I *think* I got to the right place by going to Network and Sharing Center and then selecting "Change Adapter Settings" (the path at the top of the window then shows Network Connections.
    3.  I presume it's Local Area Connection?  If so, I do not have "Virtual Machine Network Services displaying anywhere -- once again I'm presuming it is referencing the same area I would see the TCP/IP, Virtual PC Network Filter Driver, etc. 

BTW, I saw that post on Virtual PC Guy's blog, but due to the date, thought it did not apply to Win 7 and Windows Virtual PC.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:42 AM
  • I went back and looked at the leftover files for VPC 2007 and realized that those files were not on my boot drive but instead on a separate drive that I use for booting to Vista 32 bit.  So, I don't think that's the problem.  From looking at the comments to Virtual PC Guy's blog post, it looks like the "Virtual Machine Network Services" are from VMNetSrv.sys (which appears to be a VPC 2007 file).  I really need some clarification.

Thanks!
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:41 AM
  • In Win7, its the Virtual PC Network Filter Driver that you mentioned in your first post.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:45 AM
  • They are.  You could start with just renaming the .sys files and see what happens.  Otherwise, you could go with Bills solution and use the Windows 7 Easy Transfer to migrate your settings and data.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:46 AM
  • The following are the Win7 step

The below is not performed inside Virtual PC but on your actual Machine...........

Open the Start menu and click on Control Panel .

Click on Network and Sharing Center
    Click on the -- Change Adapter Settings -on the upper left side of the new window that opens up.

A new window opens up and Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections is listed in the title bar.

Now right click the Local Area Connection in the window and choose Properties
    A new window opens and it lists Local Area Connection Properties as the window name. In this window, it says,

Connect using: and (your controller should be listed here) Leave this alone!

This connection uses the following items:
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    Virtual Machine Network Services
    Qos Packet Scheduler
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    and your ip 4 and 6 plus your 2 link-layer choices

All of these have a check box in front of them and all of them were checked except the Virtual Machines Network Services . Make sure the Virtual Machine Network Services box is checked. Mine wasn't. I checked that box, closed everything and restarted my computer. Viola! My VPC's now have internet access.

I deleted no files anywhere and my VPC is  VirtualPC 6.0.156.0 If there's a later version or a Service Pack for it, I can't find it. Drop a line if you get it going with this.

• Edited by POB985 Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:02 AM added info
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Okay, then I did it right, the only problem is that there is not a listing for Virtual Machine Network Services.  According to a previous poster, it is supposedly Virtual PC Network Filter Driver for Win 7.  It's interesting that you have that entry on a Win 7 machine.  Did you have VPC 2007 installed at one point and did you uninstall it before installing the Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:02 AM
  • I renamed all of the .sys, dll and .inf files listed except the ones that were in the File Repository on the other drive (I was unable to get those renamed).  I rebooted the PC and still do not see the physical adapters (just from Settings without starting the VPC).

I really cannot spend a full week reinstalling Win 7 and all of the programs. 

Loretta
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Did you try reinstalling WinVPC now that those files have been renamed?

Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:36 AM
  •   It's interesting that you have that entry on a Win 7 machine.  Did you have VPC 2007 installed at one point and did you uninstall it before installing the Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7?

Not that I know of. I'm not even sure I have the right VPC. Someone told me Virtual PC was in Windows 7 but I could never find it so I dug around and found the version I listed in a 64 bit version. The file size is 30.5 meg and came from MS.

"there is not a listing for Virtual Machine Network Services"
    Something didn't get installed from your Virtual PC install would be my guess. I do have ALL the UPDATES for Win7 installed, make sure you do.

I'm thinking a worst case scenario is to delete any/all your VHD and VMC files you installed in Virtual PC. If you set it to create an undo disk, make sure the undue files go away as well. Then Uninstall Virtual PC and reinstall it from a/or another download from MS. Believe me when I tell you I can understand how you feel. I spent 6 hours today trying to get my 2 VHD files to actually be VHD files. I have instructors that teach this and they couldn't figure out what happened or how to resolve the issues.

Bill Grants (MVP) idea a of a complete reinstall of everything is wholly inappropriate as far as I'm concerned. Suggestions like that caused me to port my laptop to Linux and Open Office. We need help is why we're here, not kiss-off ideas. Sorry Bill, but that's the way it is! If you were working for me and offered that advice up, I'd fire you!

Dan

Heres the link I got my D/L from and it's working at the moment, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en    D/L this and I think you'll be up and running as long as you follow the previous advice as to how to get the drivers going for Internet access. Let us know if this works for you.
    • Edited by POB985 Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:29 AM added info
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Okay, now I understand.  You installed the Virtual PC 2007 which is not the supported version for Windows 7.  That was the version I had installed originally for my Windows 7 host as well.  However, I started having problems with the TAB key not working inside the VPCs and since I'm a programmer that uses the TAB key a lot, I decided to install the Windows Virtual PC (a new version for Windows 7).  That's when my problem with accessing the physcial adapter from the host and getting internet access started happening.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:39 AM
  • I unchecked the Windows Virtual PC, rebooted, uninstalled update that made the Windows Virtual PC available, rebooted, downloaded the update and installed it.  Still no physical adapters on existing VHDs or on new VHD.

:(
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:52 AM
  • I found out what was causing my specific problem.  It was the Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter.  It evidently doesn't play well with the new WVPC.  After unchecking it on my host's Local Area Connection, the Settings for the Networking adapter on my VPC's had the physical adapter available.  After setting the VPC to the physical adapter, starting the VPC and repairing the connection, I was able to get internet access and connect to my company's VPN from within the VPC.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. 

Loretta
    • Marked as answer by LLJohnson Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:48 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:08 AM
  • I unchecked the Windows Virtual PC, rebooted, uninstalled update that made the Windows Virtual PC available, rebooted, downloaded the update and installed it.  Still no physical adapters on existing VHDs or on new VHD.

:(

I unchecked the Windows Virtual PC..?????? I have no idea what this is. I never loaded/had this as far as I know.
    downloaded the update..???? I never D/L'd any update.

OK, I've putzing around with this thing for 3 days now. The only way I COULD GET THIS TO WORK was by using the method I went thru. D/L-install the file (64 bit version) from the link I posted and then follow the steps I posted to get the network adapter working.

BTW, If your VHD file is a 64 bit version, it WILL NOT WORK within the virtual environment. It's just not supported by MS. Virtual PC can be 64 bit but the OS within VPC can-not. I HAVE to run the 32 bit version of Server 2008 in order to run.

Dan
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:14 AM
  • @Dan

You must have missed my earlier post. 

You have Virtual PC 2007 which is not the same as Windows Virtual PC.  Windows Virtual PC was released as an update to Windows 7 (The direct link is: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2b6d5c18-1441-47ea-8309-2545b08e11dd ).  Once you install this Windows 7 update, Windows Virtual PC will become a Windows Feature that you can enable and disable (i.e. check and uncheck) from Control Panel / Programs / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off. 

Now that I have my physical adapter available and hence the internet and VPN from within my VPCs, I have to say that I like the newer Windows Virtual PC.  You can check out some of the features here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx .   

Loretta.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:48 AM
  • You must have missed my earlier post. 

You have Virtual PC 2007 which is not the same as Windows Virtual PC.

LOL Dang I hate it when things go wrong.
    I've never seen nor knew the difference I guess. Respective of that, I am up and running. None-the-less, I'm going to take your link and run with it to see what I can crash. I
    have a nasty rep at the college for being able to crash anything from MS. I can see trouble in my future..

I'm sorry I couldn't help. I put this link into my favorites and if I find some time/solutions,I'll update.

Dan

Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Good to know! Wow!  Time for a blog post on that!
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Dan, if you have a different issue, you should start a new thread.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:49 PM
  • LL, good to hear you're up and running.

FYI for others:
    We have Win7 Enterprise and Windows VirtualPC at the college. Whereas I have Win7 Pro and MS Virtual PC.
    Both systems employ the same settings to connect past your router I described above.

Everyone is up and running and I'm happy.

smjain, nah, everything is going, besides, Virtual PC Guy  had the answer for me, no need to rehash it.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:13 AM