none
What is the function of the bits in the Win 7 registry key UserPreferencesMask?

Answers

• Hi Osman,

The website you provided has all the functions list.  However, it use bit "0" and "1" which are not clear enough, I hope the following website can help you understand this registry better:

http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/tweakui.php

Please Note: The third-party website discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this website's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Osman,

The website you provided has all the functions list.  However, it use bit "0" and "1" which are not clear enough, I hope the following website can help you understand this registry better:

http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/tweakui.php

Please Note: The third-party website discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this website's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Hi Osman,

That's not correct!  The web page referenced by the person who asked the question is for Windows 2000, as he said.  The mask used by Windows 7 is very different!

First off, that page describes a 32 bit binary value for the UserPreferencesMask.  That Windows 7 registry uses a 64-bit binary value, e.g. mine is set to 0xBE68078012000000.  Furthermore, the available preferences themselves are different.

For example, older versions of Windows had you specify whether or not menu and tooltip animation should be used, and then allowed you to choose the type of animation: slide or fade.  Windows 7 only lets you choose whether or not these animations are turned on or off, although you can edit this binary value to choose which method to use (if you knew which data to change).

There are probably others, but I haven't looked at them all.  Regardless, the page that describes the Windows 2000 UserPreferencesMask value cannot be used to determine which Windows 7 user interface preferences correspond to which bits of the data!

Unfortunately, I too have been unable to find a reference that does defines which bits of the data correspond to which Windows 7 user interface preferences.

Edit:  I just realized that that data I included above  is probably backwards, since Windows is little-endian.  It's most likely 0x800768BE00000012, although it's written backwards in .reg files as well.  E.g., this value would be written:

"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:be,68,07,80,12,00,00,00

• Edited by Geonk Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:03 AM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:40 AM