none
Windows Update tile or desktop notifications?

Question

• How do I enable Windows Update desktop notifications or a tile or something? There HAS to be a way. For Christ sake...

1. It doesn't show you if there are new updates unless you check manually through Windows Update (no, I don't have it set automatically and I won't have it that way either).
    2. You loose important updates.
    3. You don't know if the computer has to be restarted.
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

After confirming with our product team,it is by design. Windows Update notifications are only displayed in the logon screen, not the desktop.

The reason of removing this feature is based on most of the users' feedbacks. If a notification were to be displayed, this is suppressed if the user is doing something important, especially when a user watching a movie or playing a game, or in the business environment being interrupted during a PowerPoint presentation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Carlos J S A Monday, October 29, 2012 7:25 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:57 AM

All replies

• For enabling the Windows Update go to

1. Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings

2. Change the settings according to your needs. Go for the recommended.

For enabling the "Windows Update desktop notifications",

1. Go to Start Screen, move your cursor to top right corner.

2. Click the "Setting" Button at bottom, then again Click the "Change PC Settings" Button at the bottom.

3. Go to "Notifications" and enable the notifications for the apps you want. 

Move around and change the settings you want. Good Luck !!

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi. Thanks for your reply.

For enabling the Windows Update go to

Using this you can configure Windows Update settings, very good. But you can't still change desktop or even some kind of tile notification. And no, I don't want "recommended" (automatic) because I want to specify when, where and what to download.

2. Click the "Setting" Button at bottom, then again Click the "Change PC Settings" Button at the bottom.

That doesn't enable any desktop notification regarding updates.

Cheers.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:58 PM
  • For enabling the Windows Update go to

I can confirm that that doesn't enable any sort of Desktop notifications. In fact, to my surprise I just manually went into Metro, checked and I had 7 updates that I needed to install. How, if I'm in the Desktop screen, would I get notified when there are updates to be applied?  I NEVER plan to be in the Metro screen - ever.

• Edited by ABCFED Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:39 PM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:33 PM
  • So far, best thing I found was the first reply in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/windows-update-tile-or-desktop-notifications/11658e8e-341f-416e-89db-e7d020ec4190

It's not a solution by a long shot. But at least you have a "fast" window to show updates.

Let's hope somebody implements some kind of tile or tray notification.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:46 PM
  • So far, best thing I found was the first reply in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/windows-update-tile-or-desktop-notifications/11658e8e-341f-416e-89db-e7d020ec4190

It's not a solution by a long shot. But at least you have a "fast" window to show updates.

Let's hope somebody implements some kind of tile or tray notification.

Yeah - that's not a solution at all. We can't even see the updates anymore when we are running desktop that worked perfectly fine in Windows 7? Again, we're forced to wallow through the Teletubbies poo that is Metro to get even the most basic tasks done?
    • Edited by ABCFED Monday, October 22, 2012 12:29 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 12:27 AM
  • The shortcut to wuapp.exe is not "metro". But it won't enable any notification. It's just the "classic" (and working) version of Windows Update.

That's a step forward. At least until Microsoft fixes the "metro" Windows Update, since it's slow at best. And if you want to select notifications, it opens wuapp.exe anyway (LOL). I mean... I couldn't care less if it's metro or desktop app. As long as is fast, reliable and displays the information I require.

Notification are still missing, tough.

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:35 AM
  • The shortcut to wuapp.exe is not "metro". But it won't enable any notification. It's just the "classic" (and working) version of Windows Update.

That's a step forward. At least until Microsoft fixes the "metro" Windows Update, since it's slow at best. And if you want to select notifications, it opens wuapp.exe anyway (LOL). I mean... I couldn't care less if it's metro or desktop app. As long as is fast, reliable and displays the information I require.

Notification are still missing, tough.

Not having notifications on the desktop is a complete and utter fail. Sorry - it's still Teletubbies poo if I have to do some esoteric trick to get a folder to show up that's not enabled by default - and still not have the notifications automatically appear like they used to in Windows 7. Everything was working fine in Windows 7. Now, it's broken.

It reminds me of the lines from Ghostbusters. "Everything was fine with our system until the power grid [Windows 8 notification system] was shut off by..."

• Edited by ABCFED Monday, October 22, 2012 3:40 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Action Center will show Windows Update notification if any security update is available. However, it is not a "Live" tile or desktop notifications

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:47 AM
  • You'll only see a notification in the logon screen:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/11/14/minimizing-restarts-after-automatic-updating-in-windows-update.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:08 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes, well, that's the point of the thread: this is plain useless.

I use fingerprint logon. I don't even SEE the logon screen.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:11 AM
  • We complained about this since the DP, but MSFT ignored all feedback. This is the only way to get notified about updates.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

After confirming with our product team,it is by design. Windows Update notifications are only displayed in the logon screen, not the desktop.

The reason of removing this feature is based on most of the users' feedbacks. If a notification were to be displayed, this is suppressed if the user is doing something important, especially when a user watching a movie or playing a game, or in the business environment being interrupted during a PowerPoint presentation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Carlos J S A Monday, October 29, 2012 7:25 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Hi Ruby,

Thanks for your straight-to-the-point answer!

Aside from the point if that is a good or bad choice and since is an already-made choice and I don't hold my breath for it to be modified, in the short-term at least...

The logon screen is not being shown most of the times. And it would only show a [small] alert with no utility at all.

Would you be so kind in telling me, at least from your point of view, how the user is supposed to know there is an update without opening the Windows Update screen? I mean... Is not irony, I still hope to be missing something. :) If there is no way of knowing, it looks like a design flaw since Windows Update shows four options in the settings, and actually there would be ony two options: automatic or manual.

Or do you happen to know if there is some API or something from where I could code an app to display a notification regarding new updates?

Thanks again.

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:06 AM
  • For anybody following this thread, you might want to see lasts posts on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/windows-update-tile-desktop-tray-or-any-kind-of/443104bf-3b8f-464b-bece-27d2be725fb5

It's funny. In a ridiculously way.

Cheers.

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

From my point of view, if we don't want to miss any critical update, I recommend you change to Auto install Windows Updates. If there is any update about the modification of this feature from Dev group, I will update you.

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Thanks again.

Sadly, automatic download and install it's a no-go: because of connection settings and availability requirements, I need to decide when I can download something and when I can perform maintenance. Leaving automatic updates user may be recommended for a "basic" user. But it might not work so well for others.

Will look forward for some news about this.

Cheers.

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Will look forward for some news about this.
    MSFT ignored the negative Feedback about this change since the DP, so why should they now change something after RTM?

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:32 AM
    Answerer
  • Removing it completely is not the right thing to do as notifications could be completely turned off in Windows 7 already. What MS has done is removed the ability for those who wanted to see it. I NEVER EVEN LOG OFF!!!!!! I HIBERNATE WITHOUT LOGGING OFF AND NEVER EVEN SEE THE WELCOME SCREEN FOR DAYS!!! I WANT MY BALLOON NOTIFICATIONS BACK FOR WINDOWS UPDATE!!!!!!!
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:51 PM
  • The way I see it, now it shows four options but there are only two real choices: on or off.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Having recently upgraded to Windows 8, I have encountered several things that were dropped from Vista and Win 7.  Dropping the desk top notification about available updates is probably the worst.  It worked perfectly in Vista and 7 and allowed me to decide when to download and install updates on my schedule, not on someone else's schedule.  I also never see the login screen for days at a time and don't have the inclination or time to be always searching around to see if updates are available. To arbitrarily drop something that worked so well and was so useful shows a kind of callous disregard for your customers!

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I really don't get this kind of decision... Why remove an already existent and working feature only because most of the users doesn't need it (or maybe even doesn't know that exists)?

What about the other users that are using the feature? Are they less important? Why not trying to please both of the categories (simply leaving the things as they were)?

Monday, December 24, 2012 3:00 PM
  • never see the login screen for days at a time and don't have the inclination or time to be always searching around to see if updates are available

Really?   Never Sleep?   If you at least visited the Power button occasionally you could infer whether updates were available by noticing what the Restart button would be saying...   ;  }
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:07 AM
  • Really? As an MVP that is your best answer? Shame on you...

I could say that I do sleep. But my computer doesn't. So when I wake up I just swipe my finger on the reader and that's it. So no... I don't visit the power button if I can help it.

Is like disabling automatic mail notification, saying that you have to use email anyway.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 7:32 AM
  • Really?   Never Sleep?   If you at least visited the Power button occasionally you could infer whether updates were available by noticing what the Restart button would be saying...   ;  }
    LOL the computer also can enter sleep or hibernation without logging out or locking it and showing welcome screen when it resumes or without the user going to the Start screen/menu to sleep. I always sleep or hibernate on the desktop with a pinned icon and don't see the Welcome screen for days until a patch Tuesday comes when I may have to restart.

• Edited by xpclient Tuesday, December 25, 2012 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:18 AM
  • I've come to this thread late, I just found it when trying to find how to enable update notifications.

I've been using Windows 8 for about 4 weeks now and despite a lot of adverse reviews, I really like it. There have, however, been some totally stupid decisions made in it; so far, I thought the most stupid was to remove the ability to manage wireless networks but at least there is a workaround for that so it pales into insignificance compared to this one!

All the fuss about security, automatically download updates to a user but don't bother telling them that these updates are available and waiting ... you couldn't make this stuff up.

Friday, February 15, 2013 11:06 AM
  • I agree with you.  Their argument is that people didn't want to see the update notification during a PowerPoint presentation, but surely it wouldn't have taken much to put a check box in the settings so the user could choose whether they are notified or not.  Maybe they wanted everyone to have automatic installation switched on so they can sneak in un-necessary Windows updates, such as Bing Desktop.

There's a work-a-round here, but it's not ideal as it involves using third party solutions, when it should be part of Windows.

www DOT ghacks DOT net/2013/01/01/show-windows-update-notifications-on-the-windows-8-desktop/

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:09 PM
  • For a 3rd party option that works pretty well, see this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/W8ITProPreRel/thread/6259994a-80e9-4e2c-9fa8-4df6b614d641

Specifically David Warner's nice little utility:  http://www.quppa.net/wunotify/

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:11 AM
  • I've installed the one recommended by AnBna and it seems to be working fine; I've bookmarked the download for that second one by David Warner bin case I run into problems with the first one.

Thanks everyone except MS!

Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:04 AM
  • The reason of removing this feature is based on most of the users' feedbacks. If a notification were to be displayed, this is suppressed if the user is doing something important, especially when a user watching a movie or playing a game, or in the business environment being interrupted during a PowerPoint presentation.

I'm another user who doesn't log in daily and doesn't appreciate Windows Update forcefully rebooting the PC without my permission, so I'm using the setting "Download updates but let me choose when to install them".

I can't believe that watching a movie or playing a game is considered more important than keeping the operating system up to date.  Wasn't there already a mechanism for those users who don't want to know about updates- Taskbar and Navigation properties / Notification area: Customize... / set behavior for notification icon?

Monday, March 24, 2014 12:25 AM