none
Using multiboot with WindowsXP 32bit and Windows7 64bit,is it possible?

Question

• I'm using still XP (I don't like Vista cos it requires and uses A LOT MORE resources thanXP for some reason :-)).

My Hdd is partitioned in 4 parts (320GB seagate s-ata2):

C for WinXP, D for my own stuff, E for games and stuff and last is for Windows7 (about 70GB).

I Installed 64-bit 7 into that last empty partition (I removed it from disk managament of XP and recreated and formatted it to use NTFS).
    Then I tried to use multiboot (to have list of os which one to load). But I can't see any windows XP on list while checking up the startup and stuff from advanced setting of Windows 7.

I tried to use easy boot for vista, and I inputted manually WinXp part
    on boot list (7 used c and XP was on second partition D) And I couldn't use WindowsXp at all (ntkrnl.exe error).

Is there any working ways to get Windows7 64bit and XP 32 bit into same multiboot???

Sorry I'm quite noob on this Windows7, all the tricks I know is for WinXp :-(

Thanks in advance,buddies.
    And sorry for bad grammar, I'm finnish.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:48 PM

Answers

• Matti Pöllänen said:

Windows7 installs just fine but somehow it keeps on missin my WindowsXP on another partition on the same disk...

This is 'by design'.

1. Use Windows 7 Disk Management to assign a drive letter to your Windows XP partition. This will make it visible as a drive in Windows 7.

2. Use BCDEdit (or other such utility) to modify the Windows 7 boot loader to add the Windows XP installation as a boot option.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I think we all need more info.. please.  Is the fourth partition you put Windows 7 on, a primary partition, and was it not quick formatted I hope? And I'm assuming your system will run 64bit OS? And I'm confused when you said you tried to use easy boot for Vista?? If you only had XP to begin with, Windows 7 install should have given you a multiboot selection at startup, "Earlier version of windows or Windows 7" with Windows 7 set as default and a 30 second timer for you to choose. I'm running 4 XP Pro, Vista, and Windows 7 on 3 hard drives with no problems. However, I'm sticking only with 32 bit OS's for now. No need to try 64bit, especially with a beta version. I wouldn't know where to begin to troubleshoot the bugs it might have, and or the possible drivers issues for all my hardware. MORE INFO PLEASE!
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:19 AM
  • I myself am booting XP32 with 7-64 and I am having zero issues. I didn't even have to do any configuration what-so-ever of the boot.ini to get it to work. Don't really have a clue as to why you are having that issue.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:37 AM
  • ys61 said:

I think we all need more info.. please.  Is the fourth partition you put Windows 7 on, a primary partition, and was it not quick formatted I hope? And I'm assuming your system will run 64bit OS? And I'm confused when you said you tried to use easy boot for Vista?? If you only had XP to begin with, Windows 7 install should have given you a multiboot selection at startup, "Earlier version of windows or Windows 7" with Windows 7 set as default and a 30 second timer for you to choose. I'm running 4 XP Pro, Vista, and Windows 7 on 3 hard drives with no problems. However, I'm sticking only with 32 bit OS's for now. No need to try 64bit, especially with a beta version. I wouldn't know where to begin to troubleshoot the bugs it might have, and or the possible drivers issues for all my hardware. MORE INFO PLEASE!

So Here's my HDD:

C: Is using WINxp 32-bit (NTFS)
    d: just plain storage (NTFS)
    e: for games and stuff (NTFS)
    f: this partition is for Windows 7 64-bit (quickformatted NTFS)

The other HDD wasn't touched at all,just 3 empty NTFS-formatted partitions.

I think my XP-partition and Windows 7 partition are like primary partitions. But t he problem is that I can't find XP on that drop menu where you choose the startup (7 or XP). Just windows 7 is on list. So all it does is starting into Windows 7 without any options to startup into xp or seven.

I tried to manually do that multiboot with ebcd for vista (supposing that seven and vista uses samekind of startup systems?). After trying restarted I got that boot menu by Windows7 showing me XP and seven on list to choose. Here I take XP and all I got was "error loading ntkrnl.exe" or something else error.

Anyway Windows7 help said in Help that I need to install my older system first (and that's the XP I'm allready using, and after that install Windows 7 on the same harddisk but into different partition. That's what I did. But Still I can't use XP in multiboot at all. That's because I can't setup my Boot order from Windows7. It gives me only Windows7 as a startup system (the setup is in computer properties and advanced properties/startup and recovery.

So What I'm doing wrong? Windows7 installs just fine but somehow it keeps on missin my WindowsXP on another partition on the same disk...

LOL
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I searched from google for installing windows 7 and xp into multiboot.

Strange for opposite than windows 7 help tells, these manuals told me to install windows seven first and then install olders operating systems...

So how to do it, I'm still missing good advice how to install xp and 64-bit seven into multiboot.

Got any ideas???
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Matti Pöllänen said:

Windows7 installs just fine but somehow it keeps on missin my WindowsXP on another partition on the same disk...

This is 'by design'.

1. Use Windows 7 Disk Management to assign a drive letter to your Windows XP partition. This will make it visible as a drive in Windows 7.

2. Use BCDEdit (or other such utility) to modify the Windows 7 boot loader to add the Windows XP installation as a boot option.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,
     I have XP on C 50 gig partition  and Win 7 64 bit on D a 116gig  partition and Vista 32 on 116 gig on a  seperate drive partiton. Games Music utilites and data on other partitions
    Make sure your XP has a letter assigned to it, I couldn't see mine at first because it was just named  windows XP as soon as I assigned a drive letter win 7 could see it.

The boot menue is made when you install.  I have multi boot with xp then win 7 then Vista. I did not create this boot menu it is created for you. I think it's created in XP because I have seen install notes for win 7.

I'd  reinstall from dvd again click custom pick the partition you've assigned. it is possible to have a multi boot.
    Sandy.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Windows 7 sees windowsxp partition as D: and it's accessible and visible allright.

But Windows 7 uses drive letter C: as a disk letter so I can't use letter c: for windowsXp partition,right?
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 11:52 AM
  • i have suggestion install windows xp on C: partition then insert the windows 7 dvd and install it from the windows " while windows Xp is running" and chose the partition you like for windows 7 and go on 

i think the problem in windows 7 that it use the 1st partition in your drive as a System partition "the system partition is the partition that contain the boot files the boot partition is the partition that contains the system files ( the OS "windows" ) when i installed windows 7 on clean drive i got 1st partition as 200 MB and it was hidden "without drive letter" but when i installed it with windows vista there was no system partition " the 200 MB one" i think it used the partition that has vista installed "was C:\" and used it as system partition . the problem is the boot files for vista and windows 7 are so different than windows XP , so i guess when you installed the windows 7 it took the 1st partition "that was your XP partition" and  made it System partition .

my 2nd suggestion: repartition your disk make 1st partition 200 MB without drive letter, and 2nd for XP  with Drive Letter C: , and chose any partition for windows 7 . 

Good Luck and have fun

Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:28 PM
  • i am making tests now for  XP + Windows 7 on VMware i will upload the results as soon as i am done
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:46 PM
  • If windows 7 sees XP  you don't have a problem, for win 7 to see my XP drive I had to assign a letter I assigned Z.  My XP, I just called it Windows XP with no drive letter,  when I installed Win 7 it couldn't see my XP Drive partition, as soon as I assigned the letter it showed in win7.
    I'm fortunate at the moment things are running smoothly.
    When I look at my computer drives in win 7.
    It shows win 7 as  C.
    games and utilities D.
    Vista 32 on             E.
    Games on               F.
    Music                      G.
    Data                       H.
    Video 1                   I.
    Utilities 01               J.
    Windows  XP           Z.
    my fire wire drive just turned on in win 7 for the fist time it was regonised straight away it's been assigned the letter  L.
    Since I updated my bios mines like a new machine. I'm very pleased how win7 is behaving at the moment. The odd blip in explorer, but I've been getting the odd crash in XP since the explorer 7 updates.
    As it is,  it looks like I'll be going over to Win 7 64 bit when it comes out. I normally have oem OS because I put my own PC together.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Hi Matti,
    You can have a multiboot with XP 32 bit and win7 64 bit.
    You have to boot from the disk If it comes up with 1 2 cd pick 1 then press any key to load files.
    Pick custom all your drives and partition show up. Before you start make sure your XP is named and assigned a drive letter, or you won't see it.
    My win 7 was put on my 2nd  D partition which I'd named win 7 because each OS assigns different letters to the drives.
    It has to be a clean install because the 64 bit you cannot run in XP 32 bit.
    The multi boot menu is created when you install win 7 . I have 1. earlier windows version XP
                                                                                                       2. win 7 64 bit.
                                                                                                       3. Vista 32.
    I already had XP home and recently installed my Vista premium 32 bit. last put on was win7 64 bit.
    Depending on your machine you might have to put your sata drives driver on, my son had to. I didn't my satas are seen as ide.
    If you do it has a little cd icon on left with driver written beside it  you put your sata driver here and then installs.
    Hope this helps.
    Of cause make sure your cpu fully supports 64 OS.
    Sandy.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 2:28 PM
  • i just finished my 1st try for installing windows 7 on machine with windows XP

what i did to have a successful multiboot is :

my 1st suggestion  is : installed Windows xp SP3 on drive C: then booted with xp and inserted the windows 7 DvD and installed from the windows into drive D: , now i have both XP and Windows 7 working and multiboot menu appear without any 3rd party programs            (TESTED AND WORKING)

my 2nd suggestion is:  boot and install from the windows 7 DvD on unpartitioned disk space " i have windows xp on C: drive and rest of the disk is unallocated "                           ( TESTED AND WORKING)

my 3rd suggestion is:  install windows 7 then install windows XP           (NOT WORKING) only XP boot and when repairing with Windows 7 DvD only windows 7 boot, i think it's impossible to install xp after windows 7 and make dual boot "without using 3rd party programs "

• Edited by Amrooz Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:22 PM
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 4:01 PM
  • two options to have multi boot with windows xp, both on the same disk drive without any 3rd party program for partitioning.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Lawrence Garvin said:
    Matti Pöllänen said: Windows7 installs just fine but somehow it keeps on missin my WindowsXP on another partition on the same disk...

This is 'by design'.

funny that you mark your post as an answer while "Matti Pöllänen" answered in another post 

"Windows 7 sees windowsxp partition as D: and it's accessible and visible allright.

But Windows 7 uses drive letter C: as a disk letter so I can't use letter c: for windowsXp partition,right?"

that means your suggestion wasn't useful . just LOL

Sunday, February 01, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Amrooz said:

i just finished my 1st try for installing windows 7 on machine with windows XP

what i did to have a successful multiboot is :

my 1st suggestion  is : installed Windows xp SP3 on drive C: then booted with xp and inserted the windows 7 DvD and installed from the windows into drive D: , now i have both XP and Windows 7 working and multiboot menu appear without any 3rd party programs            (TESTED AND WORKING)

my 2nd suggestion is:  boot and install from the windows 7 DvD on unpartitioned disk space " i have windows xp on C: drive and rest of the disk is unallocated "                           ( TESTED AND WORKING)

my 3rd suggestion is:  install windows 7 then install windows XP           (NOT WORKING) only XP boot and when repairing with Windows 7 DvD only windows 7 boot, i think it's impossible to install xp after windows 7 and make dual boot "without using 3rd party programs "

those are my results after real testing 

Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Did you tested these installations on real pc, not VMware or Microsoft's VirtualPC???

And all I need to do is change the letter for XP-partition into "C"??

I mean that My windows 7 installations takes the letter c and XP-partion is visible and having letter d:

So here's what I did: I have installed XP pro into partition "C", then I installed windows seven on the same hdd except the partition was "f" (I have other partitions "d" and "e" in storage usage,can't delete em for now). Windows7 starts up and it's using letter "c" and XP is visible and using letter "d" in "my computer".

I tried to change boot-settings from windows seven and looked into drop-menu of the default system. There was only windows 7.
    So does this letter-changing help me to find out that windowsxp on default system menu on that drop-menu?

AND how can I change that xp-partition from "d" to "c" while this windows7 does use that "c" allready???

OMG!!!

This is psychotic. Almost like seeing pink elephants and stuff :-P

I'm almost like ready to give up for this pearl, but still I can use my goldie oldie XP pro :-) till year 2010
    Friday, February 06, 2009 11:39 AM
  • I currently have Windows 7 RC installed on a Dell Latitude C610 laptop (admittedly not the best choice of hardware for this configuration) in a multiboot configuration with 4 partitions. The operating systems are 2000 Pro, XP Home, Vista Ultimate, and Windows 7 Ultimate RC (build 7100). They all appear to work fine and are listed in the order in which they were installed, it is generally the best practice to install the Operating Systems in the order that they were released when building a multiboot system.

When the system starts I am given the choices of Windows 7, Vista, or 'Earlier version'. By default the Windows 7 will boot because that was the last one installed. If I choose 'Earlier Version', I am then given the choice of XP Home or 2000 Pro, from this screen XP is the the one that will load by default.

The thing to keep in mind is that XP and earlier versions of Windows use the boot.ini file to determine where to find the files necessary to load the Operating System(s), whereas Vista and Windows 7 use the boot configuration data or bcd to determine where to look for the needed to load the OS.

In my configuration the first screen choices will use the bcd, but if I select 'Earlier Version' then the bootloader will pass the instructions over to the boot.ini file instead, to give me the choices available. I did no special configurations to accomplish this other than creating the the 4 partitions first and formatting them for NTFS from within a XP system. I then ran the installations from their respective discs, and chose the appropriate partition for that OS.

The only issue I have to point out is that for some reason Windows 7 does not see the 2000 Pro drive in 'Computer' or in Disk Management, but if I veiw the components from the Windows 7 System Resources it shows all 4 partitions and even recognizes that the 2000 Pro is a NTFS partition. All 3 of the other Operating Systems are able to see all 4 drives and even access them.

I should probably also mention that that all versions are 32 bit, i am not sure I try or even recommend mixing 32 bit and 64 bit systems in a multiboot arrangement, it just seems a little like inviting compatibility issues to me.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:51 AM
  • OKay...

Here's what I'll gonna do (or die tryin)

HDD1: 320GB S-ATA
    C:WindowsXP (30GB)
    D:Windows7 (about 90GB)
    E:Partition for my games (mostly games on XP and maybe windows 7) (100GB)
    F:Anime :-P (100GB)

HDD2: 320GB S-ATA
    G:ISO and other IMAGE files (100GB)
    H:Movies (100GB)
    I:Music and other related (100GB)

On that HDD1 I'm gonna delete that D-partition in XP through diskmanager (let it just destroy and create partition up again during Windows7 installation)

And just after that I'll choose settings on "startup and restore", pick up the system and choose wich one is the primary startup operatingsystem :-P

Or is this startuplist made automatically during the installation of Windows7???

This Windows 7 is good, but I still want to keep my XP pro till it gets old and gets FUBAR :D
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:30 PM
  • The startup order is automatically created during the installation process for any multiboot configuration, the default will be which ever Operating System was installed most recently. You should be able to change the default from within the Startup and Recovery options, but I am not sure how well it will work with Windows 7. I did successfully change the default from Vista to XP on another configuration once with XP Pro on one partition and Vista Ultimate on another using that method from within the XP partition. In theory it should work no matter which OS you modify the settings from, since basically you just pointing the bootloader in right direction to find the files it needs to load the respective operating systems. The other method that can be used to change the boot order is to modify the boot.ini file manually from Notepad from the XP partition, or modify the bcd using bcdedit from the Windows 7 partition. I would suggest trying the startup and Recovery method first, since that is a lot more user friendly. The other method requires the proper syntax to be typed or you could render the system useless unless you are smart enough to make a backup of the boot.ini, and the bcd before modifying the orginal. You then have to know how to restore the proper copies to proper locations if your attempt fails.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:47 PM