none
Windows 7 SP1 final, how to slipstream with all builds?

Question

• Does anyone know how to do this properly?
    I've found a couple of guides but they seem to be indicating I need to choose a build type, like Pro, Home Premium, Ultimate (etc)
    I want to make an install disc like the original that you get when you purchase it!  So I can choose which build to install, as I build a lot of machines.

See here:
    http://windows7support247.blogspot.com/2011/02/slipstream-windows-7-sp1.html
    Step 6 wants to know the Windows version

Also this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproSP/thread/5ef1652f-df2e-46b7-ae21-9dbd126830f5/
    Several people say offline slipstreaming isn't supported.

Anyone know if it actually is possible? Surely Microsoft will eventually be shipping SP1 only DVD's to retail customers and OEMs over the coming months, I effectively want to create one of those.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• The only real way to do this is to make your own install media.  Basically, install Win7, install SP1, sysprep it and capture that as your image.  Service Pack integration is not supported for Windows Vista and higher editions of Windows.

--Joseph [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Please see: Slipstream Windows 7 SP1
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:31 AM
  • The only real way to do this is to make your own install media.  Basically, install Win7, install SP1, sysprep it and capture that as your image.  Service Pack integration is not supported for Windows Vista and higher editions of Windows.

--Joseph [MSFT]

Is that really the best way of doing it? Is that how Microsoft will be creating the SP1 official media? (If so, then fine)

I mean I don't like the idea of using files which have already been installed on a machine to then be repacked back up to make an install disc, it seems very sloppy to me.

EDIT: I specifically want it to PROMPT me for the type of version to install (ultimate / pro, etc)   - that's absoloutely important as my current install media does that now.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:41 AM
  • We build the image in a different way internally but its because we have access to all of the build tree <G>.

Not sure what you mean by the statement "I don't like the idea of using files which have already been installed on a machine to then be repacked back up to make an install disc".  You'll be making your own image of Windows by doing it the way I desribe above, similar to what an enterprise would do when they build out an image.

Additionally, you can always look around as Carey suggested for other ways to do it.  I would caution that some of the utilities that make media for you do end up causing problems down the road with regards to servicing the OS.

--Joseph [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:05 PM
  • I think I've decided to wait for an MSDN release of the final ISO with SP1 included. I'd prefer the official Microsoft disc.Obviously I will be editing the disc and deleting "EI.CFG" because the inclusion of that file is ridculous and frustrating - then once I re-burn it, should be quite useful :)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:07 PM
  • The built ISOs should already be up on MSDN, and that is a much better way to go.
    --Joseph [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:09 PM
  • If only you let non MSDN customers download it.  I have several legitimate keys :/   
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:19 PM
  • If only you let non MSDN customers download it.  I have several legitimate keys :/   

Thats not my call ;)
    --Joseph [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:40 PM
  • For those who want to obtain the SP1 pre-installed versions of Windows 7, the files you are looking for are.

64BIT:

BUILD: 7601.17514.101119-1850
    FILE: 7601.17514.101119-1850_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso
    SIZE: 3,319,478,272 byte
    SHA-1: 1693B6CB50B90D96FC3C04E4329604FEBA88CD51
    MD5: 56A26636EC667799F5A7F42F142C772D
    CRC: 8589EE18

32BIT:

BUILD: 7601.17514.101119-1850
    FILE: 7601.17514.101119-1850_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso
    SIZE: 2,563,039,232 byte
    SHA-1: 92C1ADA4FF09C76EC2F1974940624CAB7F822F62
    MD5: 24F3A45D43D7C532AA3126CC094C61BD
    CRC: C2966895

You *CAN* still perform the EI.CFG trick in the sources directory to allow you to choose whichever version you want to install (genuine key required FOR the version you install, choose the right version based on your key)  - I used poweriso to delete the silly ei.cfg file (sigh Microsoft, just sigh.....)  - also if you're using the USB key method, far easier to delete the file. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, search for "EI.CFG" in Google, you'll be amazed how gimped your current DVD is)

Can confirm these work and activate with Windows updates available and working, all genuine and legitimate.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:42 PM
  • EDIT: Double post, sorry.
    • Edited by scottylans Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:44 PM EDIT: Double post, sorry.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:42 PM
  • http://superuser.com/questions/249275/slipstream-windows-7-service-pack-1

Basically you can take the OS files off a non-sp1 disk, change up some stuff in the sp1 files, and use DISM to integrate into the image

get your sp1 file, extract everything and then...

get the kb file of sp1 (KB976932-x86 or x64)

use the switch /X:C:\sp1 on the sp1 package to extract it to C:\sp1

delete everything except the ~500 MB cab file inside sp1 folder

extract said cab (to same folder) and delete the cab

extract NestedMPPContent.cab to the same folder and delete the cab

in update.ses under the OfflineInstallation tag change targetState="Absent" to "Installed"

in both update.mum and Windows7SP1-KB......mum scroll down to the last tag section and change allowedOffline="false" to "true"

extract all the language cabs to the same folder and overwrite everything.
    and then you can delete the extra cabs.

use dism to integrate some service packs as show in the link

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:08 PM
  • The built ISOs should already be up on MSDN, and that is a much better way to go.
    --Joseph [MSFT]

So, if I have got win 7 ultimate sp1 ISO from MSDN (or other source), can i use it instead of my "win 7 ultimate (that is without service packs) and manual install of sp1" ? I ask this because service pack 1 takes about an hour to install after fresh install of win 7 x64 RTM, while, windows installed in almost 12 minutes.

If I use this DVD, (i.e. install windows integrated with sp1), will i get activation error?, or will it be fine. I am using retail copy of win 7 ultimate.

Thank you.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Technically MSDN media isnt meant for production.  That being said, the bits are basically the same as retail and should be able to activate using a retail product key.
    --Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:53 AM
  • RE: How to Slipstream or integrate SP1 into Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

How to Slipstream or integrate a service pack into Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

Yes you can slipstream or integrate sp1 into Windows 7, from what I have read on the web. Like a Program called N-lite which is used for integrating changes/Service Packs into the Installation files for XP, now you can use a program called, RT Seven Lite,(from what I have read) which will Slipstream sp1 to Windows 7. It appears to do service pack integration for Vista too.

Here is the download link for the x86 versions of Windows 7/Vista.

http://www.pub.rt7lite.com/7lite-rc-beta-1726-dec6-10-stable/rt_7_lite_win7_Vista_x86.exe

Here is the download link from the software creators/Author:

http://www.rt7lite.com/downloads.html

I found the link at various websites for the instructional steps and I am sure the author's site gives you these steps.  However, there was an article that I was reading in regards to upgrading your windows 7 bootable USB disk aka Setup/installation disk.

here is the link for that one.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/239634/how_to_speed_up_windows_7_installs_with_slipstreaming_and_usb.html

—Les   EE/CT

brought to you by AppleDumplingGang (Facebook)--providing help to the people on all walks of the web. [Author of the former XHTMLSNEEKSHEETS.forums.us, --Author for http://sneeksheets.blogspot.com "Windows Help"--creator of XhtmlSNeeKSheets (*SneekSheets) -- Author/Creator of the 1st and Original SuperLinks.com that was on Angelfire.com]

• Edited by Netverse Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:24 PM Correction Grammar
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Dont do this, it's not supported and it causes issues.  You should do this in a properly supported method, otherwise you're going to end up with some one off issue that you'll never really track down.  Install Windows, install SP1, capture and deploy.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:30 PM