none
Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death. Cannot Boot At All

Question

• Hey guys. I'm running on Windows 7 x32bit. I recently updated my WIFI Driver since it did not support specific wireless modems.

After a reboot, the computer boots with the BOIS... but after that, it doesn't even show a start up screen. It just shows a black screen and a repeatedly blinking caret.

Av tried doing all things possible... trying to get it to start up. But nothing. Av searched around the web and i haven't found any similar problem to what i'm facing. Please if anyone could help me... I appreciate :)

Thanks---Mohamed

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:39 PM

Answers

• have you tried booting in safe mode (f8 after bios). Then going to your device manager & restore you previous wifi driver.

Also is the problem doesn't get resolved this way.  Try booting from a W7 dvd & try the help tools to solve boot problems. 

If that doesn't work try booting from the dvd & choose a restore point to restore your pc to a restore point before you installed the driver.

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!
    • Proposed as answer by Weslee db Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:03 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hi Mohamed,

Please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

System Restore

==========

1. Reboot and press F8

2. Select "Repair my computer"

3. Select the keyboard layout and language

4. When you reach system recovery tools, select System restore.

5. Select the restore point when it was working fine and restart the computer.

Startup Repair

==========

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:03 AM

All replies

• have you tried booting in safe mode (f8 after bios). Then going to your device manager & restore you previous wifi driver.

Also is the problem doesn't get resolved this way.  Try booting from a W7 dvd & try the help tools to solve boot problems. 

If that doesn't work try booting from the dvd & choose a restore point to restore your pc to a restore point before you installed the driver.

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!
    • Proposed as answer by Weslee db Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:13 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hi Mohamed,

Please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

System Restore

==========

1. Reboot and press F8

2. Select "Repair my computer"

3. Select the keyboard layout and language

4. When you reach system recovery tools, select System restore.

5. Select the restore point when it was working fine and restart the computer.

Startup Repair

==========

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:03 AM
  • I have been having this black screen problem for about a week now and I cant seem to find a fix for it. I tried f8 then repair and nothing new happened I really would appreciate some help :(
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:07 PM
  • may i know how did you solve this? thanks
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:07 PM