none
Windows 7 fails to boot - restore point fails - safe mode fails - startup repair fails

Question

• I have a windows 7 laptop (inspiron 1525) which was working fine. I believe the trigger was a windows update that ran last night. When you boot (even in safe mode), it attempts to perform a startup repair but fails. If I attempt a system restore option using the repair mode of a windows 7 OEM disk, that also fails on the two available restore points with an unspecified error 0x800700b7. It will not boot into safe mode (it attempts a repair). I've done a chkdsk /f and an sfc /scannow. I'm stumped. My last resort is go buy another drive, install windows and all apps on it and copy the data off of this one, but I'd reaaaaaaallllly prefer to avoid that. How can I troubleshoot what is actually failing so I can attempt to address the actual problem rather than taking shots in the dark? Much thanks!
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the issue appear after windows update, usually we can use windows restore to fix the issue.

And about Windows Restore error 0x800700b7, it indicates that the object cannot be created because an object with the same name already exists. Thus I suspect there is some shadow restore points stored on your computer.

These steps for this error you can try:
    1. Change another location to save the new created restore point.

2. Resize Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space by running the following command, there may be caused by limited space.

1) Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.
    2) Click Run as administrator.
    3) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

vssadmin list shadowstorage /for=c:

4) Note the Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space value.
    5) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=300Mb

6) Close the Command Prompt window.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:09 AM
  • is it possible a virus may have renamed or hidden some restore points?  i spoke with the individual who owns the laptop i'm trying to repair, and her description sounds like she may have been hit by one of those "windows 2012 antivirus" types of malware.

in any event, i cannot boot into windows at all in any way, so i dont think the above information would work.  where are the restore point files normally saved?  perhaps i can look there for hidden files, etc.  at this point she needed to be working, so she went and bought a new laptop and i moved all her data over, i'm going to wipe the old one and start clean, but i'd be curious to look and see if the "maybe-virus" did something with the restore points.

thanks much for the  help, greatly appreciated.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

The restore point is located in c:\system volume information, and this folder is hidden by default.

And you can perform a whole disc scan to check if any virus or spyware on the machine.

Hope the issue will not occurs.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Leo Huang

Friday, December 09, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Did your issue solved? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thanks.

Regards, 

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Leo Huang

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:41 AM
  • the update is we will never know anything.  new laptop was purchased, files moved over via mounting the old drive in an external USB enclosure, then the drive was wiped.  bad mojo having to go that route, but it was the cheapest way out for the customer.  there really needs to be a better way after all these years to repair a non bootable system without having to do a fresh install.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:50 AM
  • The best way I think you need to create a system recover image. If the system crash, you can use the image to fix:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-create-a-recovery-partition-with-image-of/b3ac0f64-079a-4c89-9b16-a74b20e89419

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:14 AM
  • unfortunately it doesnt.  Im an independent IT consultant, so random people call me sometimes when their PC breaks.  I need to be able to fix it without the expectation that they may have in advance taken any precautions other than AV.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:26 AM