none
Windows 8 Folder Redirection/offline files not working

Question

• I am trying to deploy 4 brand new HP Laptops running windows 8 Professional into a windows 2008 domain however folder redirection is not working

These users have folder redirection enabled via group policy and this works fine under their old laptops in windows 7

For windows 8 I see an error in the event log :

Error 7023 - The offline files service terminated with the following error : the system cannot find the path specified

I also get this error if I manually try to start the offline files service.

This is happening on all 4 brand new laptops. All latest available updates installed.

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:51 PM

All replies

• *edit 1 of the laptops out of the 4 is working. - no difference in setup
    • Edited by Gary_m_uk Friday, December 14, 2012 3:15 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 3:15 PM
  • I am trying to deploy 4 brand new HP Laptops running windows 8 Professional into a windows 2008 domain however folder redirection is not working

These users have folder redirection enabled via group policy and this works fine under their old laptops in windows 7

For windows 8 I see an error in the event log :

Error 7023 - The offline files service terminated with the following error : the system cannot find the path specified

I also get this error if I manually try to start the offline files service.

This is happening on all 4 brand new laptops. All latest available updates installed.

The error as you have already observed is a critical error  blocking the service from running. So that must be about the computer software configuration.

You claim brand new, latest updates etc. - however to use i.e. folder redirection, gpo's etc. you're modifying the software configuraton. I.e. not quite brand new or unchanged (except for those may be important changes, guess those machines are indeed brand new or just bought ... however still in change as any other software managed machines)

For some reason could be corruption of system configuration, but how? Unlike coincidence of 3 of 4 computers failing to start that services? I.e. have you done any changes to offline files etc, scripts or some stuff with gpo's.

Try exploring the Windows log and take a look at the detail for the error events.

Use process monitor from Microsoft to trace what happens when you try to start the Windows service ...

Just tips for determining the bug ...

Out-of-the-box this should not happen ... for folder redirection and offline files ... it's actually the Windows client going to get those files ... so take a look at the client and try to trace the bug.

My best guess is something is changed on the client - and your customized system or software is doing it. Or something wrong with the configuration. I.e. if you have relocated the CSC cache ...

In my experience the best way to debug this problem is to use Process Monitor ... and i.e. come up with a fix based on the observations i.e. if you have relocated the csc cache to some place where it is actually not available or incorrectly configured (i.e. take a look at the Result column and looked for failed operations in context with CSC cache operations)

If you don't know how to do this - don't relocate the CSC cache ... (i.e. if you did this to conserve space on i.e. your SDD's with i.e. smaller capacity than legacy-HD). The real problem is the Folder Redirection Client on the Window Client going to pin the entire folder hierarchy of the users workspace, i.e. documents. Either move files out of that area or use group policy to disable pining entire user "storage area". Microsoft should make the Folder Redirection Client more flexiable, i.e. add option to exclude part of folder hierarchy. But you can do this by using gpo to disable folder redirection auto-cache of all files - and then instead have users explicitly pin their mobile folders. However for some folders like favorites, desktop and so on you can actually use batch and wmic to set pin of some folders containing usually less data using a startup script and gpo. That Works ... and simulates i.e. excluding the stored data in user libraries like documents, videos, music ...

... anyway added this based on a "suspension" on what you are really trying to obtain ... but the solution is not to move the CSC cache to aqquire more space, i.e. a user can put 1 TB in their videos ... the solution is to program the Folder Redirection Client differently ... untill Microsoft add that functionality.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Hi do you have any hints when running process explorer ? I've run process explorer and tried to start the service but I don't see anything obvious change etc.

I have made no changes to the GPO's that work perfectly in windows 7, I haven't relocated the CSC folder either.

I have literally joined them to the domain, installed a few applications (CRM applications) and then tried to logon as the user.

Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

I have just built a Windows 8 VM (as a trial) using Windows 8 Enterprise, prior to a full upgrade of all our Desktops. This VM is hosted on the same machine as a Windows 7 VM.

When logging in with user X;

Folder redirection works on Windows 7

Folder redirection FAILS on Windows 8.

I have tried a gpupdate / force on Windows 8 - no effect.

Advice appreciated.

Paul

Paul Ireland

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Please keep me posted if you find an update, I'm glad to see its not just me having this issue.

If I get some time I am going to try and format one of the laptops and try again but I'm not convinced it will change anything.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Gary,

I have now got the folder redirection working and think the problem was due to a startup timing error. Basically with windows 7 the folders were redirected to a mapped drive. This was to allow me to easily logon directly to the server where the redirection pointed to the physical drive.

In Windows 7 it appears that the startup process maps drives before applying the folder redirection - hence it works. However, this appears not to be the case in Windows 8. (BTW I have seen some references to mapped drives in Windows 8. As I was looking for something else at the time, I did not save the reference).

To resolve the issue, I changed the folder redirection to point to DFS share (e.g. \\domain.intra\userfiles\%user%). This now works, however be aware, the issue here is that the redirection is not gaurneteed - it may map to any of the servers providing the DFS. As long as these are private files to that user this is not a problem. If the files are shared between users, DFS is not very good at handling the multiple updates (on different servers) than can result.

Hope this helps you.

Paul

Paul Ireland

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Thanks for the response Paul,

Unfortunately in my case we do not map to network drives and always map via a UNC path so I don't think this will help my case. They are using an SBS server so the path we use is \\servername\redirectedfolders\%username%\Desktop for example.

I just don't have the time at the moment to rebuild one of the laptops to see at which point if any the folder redirection works/doesn't work.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Yup. I've been seeing issues with folder redirection / offline files on Windows 8 too.

The majority of our clients are SBS users. So far, we've only introduced a very limited number of Windows 8 machines into these existing environments. Adding Windows 8 clients into SBS 2008 (fully patched) environments, the folder redirection GPO appears to fail. So far, we've manually configured the folder redirection / offline on the systems in question. However, I'm going to be looking into this issue, as manual configuration is not a solution moving forward.

Unfortunately, I'm somewhat limited as to an available testing environment. However, I'm working on it and hope to have something set up by the end of today.

If I get something figured out, I'll post back asap.

Cheers!
    Simon.

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:01 AM
  • Good morning!

On Friday I went to one of our client sites to install another brand new HP Probook. This provided me with an opportunity to troubleshoot the folder redirection issues first-hand.

Interestingly, on this occasion, I was installing to an SBS 2011 environment rather than SBS 2008. However, it did not actually make any difference, as I quickly established folder redirection was still failing to "kick in".

After spending a bit of time on the problem, I concluded that the folder redirection policy itself was applying without issue. The issue was, in fact, entirely down to offline files effectively being "broken". The solution? Re-initialise the offline file cache. I know it seems illogical due to the fact offline files have not yet been used on your brand new Windows 8 installation, but as soon as I did this, folder redirection / offline files kicked in without any GPO modification or further client-side tweaking.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem when installing a non-HP device with Windows 8? Perhaps this is some kind of problem with the Windows 8 "images" on HP systems?

The instructions for re-initialising the offline file cache on Windows 8 are pretty much the same as they were for Vista / Windows 7:

1. Right-click in the bottom-left corner, select Run and enter regedit in thebox, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey, and then right-click it:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC
    3. Point to New, and then click Key.
    4. Type Parameters in the box.
    5. Right-click Parameters, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    6. Type FormatDatabase, and then press ENTER.
    7. Right-click FormatDatabase, and then click Modify.
    8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    9. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Best regards,
    Simon.

• Proposed as answer by ncdlloyd Friday, April 19, 2013 11:59 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 10:51 AM
  • Good morning!

On Friday I went to one of our client sites to install another brand new HP Probook. This provided me with an opportunity to troubleshoot the folder redirection issues first-hand.

Interestingly, on this occasion, I was installing to an SBS 2011 environment rather than SBS 2008. However, it did not actually make any difference, as I quickly established folder redirection was still failing to "kick in".

After spending a bit of time on the problem, I concluded that the folder redirection policy itself was applying without issue. The issue was, in fact, entirely down to offline files effectively being "broken". The solution? Re-initialise the offline file cache. I know it seems illogical due to the fact offline files have not yet been used on your brand new Windows 8 installation, but as soon as I did this, folder redirection / offline files kicked in without any GPO modification or further client-side tweaking.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem when installing a non-HP device with Windows 8? Perhaps this is some kind of problem with the Windows 8 "images" on HP systems?

The instructions for re-initialising the offline file cache on Windows 8 are pretty much the same as they were for Vista / Windows 7:

1. Right-click in the bottom-left corner, select Run and enter regedit in thebox, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey, and then right-click it:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC
    3. Point to New, and then click Key.
    4. Type Parameters in the box.
    5. Right-click Parameters, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    6. Type FormatDatabase, and then press ENTER.
    7. Right-click FormatDatabase, and then click Modify.
    8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    9. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Best regards,
    Simon.

I'm having this exact issue, however, I do not have the path above (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC)

No CSC. Any idea why?

Signature on file at Main office

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hi My_Cholula!

Is this Windows 8 Pro? 64 or 32 bit?

Do you have an "Offline Files" service listed in the services? If so, what happens when you try to start the service? Does the registry key appear then?

Best regards,
    Simon.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Hi My_Cholula!

Is this Windows 8 Pro? 64 or 32 bit?

Do you have an "Offline Files" service listed in the services? If so, what happens when you try to start the service? Does the registry key appear then?

Best regards,
    Simon.

Windows 8 Premium, 64 bit!

I'll double check the service today. Pretty sure its started.

Signature on file at Main office

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Thanks Simon, that worked perfectly for me.  Interestingly it was an HP laptop too.

Nick

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Same here for me too!

HP Probook 4540s core-i5, Win 8 Pro, bought in the UK.

Are they shipping with a broken Windows installation?

Rebooting after doing the registry change did not work for me. I had to go into sync centre -> manage offline files, and disable offline files, reboot, then re-enable & reboot.

Thanks for the tip.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Same here for me too!

HP Probook 4540s core-i5, Win 8 Pro, bought in the UK.

Are they shipping with a broken Windows installation?

Rebooting after doing the registry change did not work for me. I had to go into sync centre -> manage offline files, and disable offline files, reboot, then re-enable & reboot.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I think their system images must be faulty in this regard. I've had this issue with every single HP Windows 8 laptop I've installed thus far.

Annoying, isn't it!?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:24 AM
  • Same problem here on a new and fresh Windows 8 64 bit on HP Envy 6 Ultrabook.

- No CSC service running or entry found in 'services'

- No registry entries found for cscsvc.dll; nor for 'csc'

- no cscsvc.dll in system32 only in WinSxS\AMD64_microsoftetc.etc.\

Should MS fix this or HP? Hope someone will post a fix quickly!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Hi Simon,

I had exactly the same issue. Your solution also worked for me. The only thing i will notice is that i haven't a HP device. My devices are from dell (XPS 12) and I work with a modified Windows 8 image. First Ultrabook worked probably but the second had this issue. Windows 7 with offline files and folder redirection works excellent on all windows 7 notebooks here.

Best Regards

Christoph

Thursday, May 02, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Hi Simon,

I had exactly the same issue. Your solution also worked for me. The only thing i will notice is that i haven't a HP device. My devices are from dell (XPS 12) and I work with a modified Windows 8 image. First Ultrabook worked probably but the second had this issue. Windows 7 with offline files and folder redirection works excellent on all windows 7 notebooks here.

Best Regards

Christoph

Interesting. When you say modified Windows 8 image, what exactly do you mean? Did you use sysprep to create this image?

I'm starting to wonder whether there may be some kind of issue with the Windows 8 sysprepping?

Anyway - really pleased you got it sorted Christoph :)

Best regards,
    Simon.

Thursday, May 02, 2013 1:52 PM
  • OK. Solution for me: install windows 8 pro pack. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.255571800

Apparently, windows 8 lost the standard offline files syncing. You'll have to upgrade to Pro to have this function.

Friday, May 03, 2013 1:03 PM
  • This worked for me as well.  Using a HP EliteBook Revolve 810 Windows 8
    Thursday, May 09, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Same problem with the HP Probook 4340s on Windows 8 Pro, the registry fix solved it....
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hello,

I also have a HP4340S and offline files won't work. What steps or procedure did you use to correct the problem?

Regards,

Stuart.

Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Thanks sooooo much for this solution. I've been searching like a madman for this fix. There are quite a few MS and other message boards where this question just dies with no solution. I only found this by searching "HP 4540s offline files broken". Previously I searched every permutation of "always available offline broken". There are a lot of sad people on those boards. Microsoft should have a fix for this or at least they should widely publish your fix. 

I have mostly had this issue with new HP 4540S 64bit laptops. But I've also had problems with Dell and Powerspec towers. 

I misread your instructions at first. I didn't create a new parameter key I just right clicked the current Parameter key and created the new Dword. But it worked. 

BTW I was trying to connect the various 4540S laptops to Server 2003, Server 2008, SBS 2008, and MY current favorite the Synology Diskstation NAS. Before I found your fix these laptops wouldn't do offline files at all. 

Thanks again,

Tim

th

Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:22 AM
  • Thanks sooooo much for this solution. I've been searching like a madman for this fix. There are quite a few MS and other message boards where this question just dies with no solution. I only found this by searching "HP 4540s offline files broken". Previously I searched every permutation of "always available offline broken". There are a lot of sad people on those boards. Microsoft should have a fix for this or at least they should widely publish your fix. 

I have mostly had this issue with new HP 4540S 64bit laptops. But I've also had problems with Dell and Powerspec towers. 

I misread your instructions at first. I didn't create a new parameter key I just right clicked the current Parameter key and created the new Dword. But it worked. 

BTW I was trying to connect the various 4540S laptops to Server 2003, Server 2008, SBS 2008, and MY current favorite the Synology Diskstation NAS. Before I found your fix these laptops wouldn't do offline files at all. 

Thanks again,

Tim

th

Glad to have helped!

Still not really sure what causes this issue. I'm guessing it maybe something to do with the sysprep routine on Windows 8; either a bug, or something that manufacturers get wrong during the process.

All very odd.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:44 AM
  • I have been issued a laptop by the company I work for however every time I try to log on  at home I get an error message saying "........internal\public\menus\desktop\" refers to a location that is unavailable, it may be on a hard drive  on this computer or on a network......

This is really frustrating as I am unable to access any of the programs on the computer. I will connect if I am close to the office building even if it isn't connected to the internet (it doesn't need to be connected to the internet to access the programs and has indeed worked intermittently in the past) The technical guys where I work are at a complete loss, they have rebuilt the computer and have tried unsuccessfully to replicate the fault on the work premises and have now said there is  nothing else they can do. I have been reading this thread and wondered if this could be a similar problem. I am getting desperate, can anyone please help!!!!? Thanks 

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Still no dice for me.  New Dell Venue 11 Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro.  Nothing mentioned above has worked. The only way for the sync to work, is to go to the network share folder, choose "always available offline".  But, it doesn't redirect to my My Documents like GPO says, it puts everything in an Offline Files Folder, which is impossible to navigate to.  Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Do you have SCCM in your environment?  We just ran into this issue and while troubleshooting I came across this post and wanted to provide another possible solution.  The issue is a setting in SCCM causes folder redirection to be controlled by WMI.  And this breaks the folder redirection in Windows 8/8.1.

Here is the post on how to change the setting in SCCM: Windows 8/8.1 Folder Redirection Not Applying/Working

You can do a quick check by looking at the following registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserState\UserStateTechnologies\ConfigurationControls.  If you see the values for FolderRedirection, OfflineFiles, and RoamingUserProfile set to 1, then you will encounter the folder redirection not working issue.  You can change these values to 0, reboot, and then you will see the folder redirection working properly again.  But this is only a temporary fix, as unless you change the setting in SCCM it will just reset back once the SCCM client refreshes.

Friday, September 12, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Do you have SCCM in your environment?  We just ran into this issue and while troubleshooting I came across this post and wanted to provide another possible solution.  The issue is a setting in SCCM causes folder redirection to be controlled by WMI.  And this breaks the folder redirection in Windows 8/8.1.

Here is the post on how to change the setting in SCCM: Windows 8/8.1 Folder Redirection Not Applying/Working

You can do a quick check by looking at the following registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserState\UserStateTechnologies\ConfigurationControls.  If you see the values for FolderRedirection, OfflineFiles, and RoamingUserProfile set to 1, then you will encounter the folder redirection not working issue.  You can change these values to 0, reboot, and then you will see the folder redirection working properly again.  But this is only a temporary fix, as unless you change the setting in SCCM it will just reset back once the SCCM client refreshes.

No, we don't have SCCM.  Incidentally, I checked the FolderRedirection, OfflineFiles, and RoamingUserProfile settings in RegEdit and they are all set to 0.

Any other ideas?  This is really a pain.  It's also affecting my MS Office apps.  I can't launch MS Word, for example, because it can't find the normal.dot file.  All my Win 7 devices have no issues with this. Only this Win 8.1 Pro tablet.

• Edited by scottyhuff Monday, September 15, 2014 4:47 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 4:20 PM