none
Sound Stuttering on Windows 8.1

Question

• Since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 I find the sound regularly stutters when playing youtube videos or audio files.
     I have installed the latest driver for Realtek HD audio from the realtek site (November 2013) but this has not helped
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Andrew

Stuttering is often caused by a driver (not nec the audio driver).  You can use these two free apps to diagnose which

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon  (this one more oriented to audio issues)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

How about when you play video using software not browser? is it the same problem. if this problem caused by Audio driver, it should occures the same problem.

Have you tried other browser for test?

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Thanks for the replies

The easiest way to recreate my problem is to either play a youtube video in a browser or an audio file in VLC then scroll through my Facebook feed. That causes the stuttering pretty much instantly. Happens using Firefox or Chrome

In the LatencyMon results Firefox was showing up with a lot of page faults, which I assumed must come from accessing a page file. I have 8GB of RAM which is never maxed out and an SSD so I disabled paging and let firefox run in RAM. Still no improvement.

The other things that get reported are ndis.sys , storport.sys, USBPORT.sys but when I check for new drivers the system says they are all up to date

Monday, December 02, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Andrew

Since several OS files were mentioned a system file check is an easy way to check

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, December 02, 2013 6:22 PM