none
IPv6 Connectivity Limited

Question

• Hey guys,

recently my internets been running very slow. its very unusual. so i checked out my networking and it says that the IPv6 connectivity is limited. im using a netgear wireless router (WGR614 Wireless G Router). also, the figures in the sent/received activity figures is extremely different. right now, the sent figure is around 1.3 million bytes, while the received figure is around 42.1 million bytes. you guys have any suggestions???

thanks

Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I understand that the connection speed is slow.

Please understand that for most home computers, it is normal that the amount of Received Bytes is more than the amount of Sent Bytes since the computer browses websites, downloads files frequently but seldom uploads files.

Regarding the message “the IPv6 connectivity is limited”, I would like to know if it is displayed on the Connection Status window.

Based on my experience, it may not be the cause of the slow connection speed.  A possible cause can be the router not supporting IPv6. As a result, you can disable IPv6 if it is not necessary in this environment.

For your reference, I've included the link of a related KB article as below:

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929852

In addition, I’ve listed some possible causes that can result in slow connection speed:

1.    Malware

2.    Some third party services/programs interference

3.    Firewall/filter on the Router

As a result, please refer to the following steps for troubleshooting:

1.    Scan for viruses.

2.    Please refer to the following KB article and perform a Clean Boot on the machine:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

3.    Temporarily disable all firewall rules/filters on the Router.

4.    Contact ISP to check the network speed.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I understand that the connection speed is slow.

Please understand that for most home computers, it is normal that the amount of Received Bytes is more than the amount of Sent Bytes since the computer browses websites, downloads files frequently but seldom uploads files.

Regarding the message “the IPv6 connectivity is limited”, I would like to know if it is displayed on the Connection Status window.

Based on my experience, it may not be the cause of the slow connection speed.  A possible cause can be the router not supporting IPv6. As a result, you can disable IPv6 if it is not necessary in this environment.

For your reference, I've included the link of a related KB article as below:

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929852

In addition, I’ve listed some possible causes that can result in slow connection speed:

1.    Malware

2.    Some third party services/programs interference

3.    Firewall/filter on the Router

As a result, please refer to the following steps for troubleshooting:

1.    Scan for viruses.

2.    Please refer to the following KB article and perform a Clean Boot on the machine:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

3.    Temporarily disable all firewall rules/filters on the Router.

4.    Contact ISP to check the network speed.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:01 AM
  • I tried the above to disable the IPV6 connection but it's still showing as "limited connection" on wireless netwrok status.
    And I am still having problem losing my internet connect in every 10 minuites.  This drives me crazy.
    Can you please help?

Friday, July 03, 2009 5:10 PM