none
Cannot Join Domain in Unattended Install

Question

• Win7 RC, 7100.  Ultimate 64bit and 32bit

1.  Install Win7, configure settings, run Sysprep, Shutdown PC
    2.  Boot to WinPE, Capture Image
    3.  Apply Image

The whole process goes well except joining to a Win2003 domain.  In the setupact.log file, it tries 21 times to get a domain controller name and fails, and then gives up.

2009-05-10 21:16:42, Info                    [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: Joining domain [arbor01]...
    2009-05-10 21:16:42, Info                    [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: Calling DsGetDcName for arbor01...
    2009-05-10 21:16:57, Warning              [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: DsGetDcName failed: 0x54b, last error is 0x0, will retry in 5 seconds...
    2009-05-10 21:17:17, Warning              [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: DsGetDcName failed: 0x54b, last error is 0x0, will retry in 5 seconds...

However, I can manually join the PC to the same domain with no problems.  In the unattend.xml file (RC WAIK) I am using the Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin_neutral component in the Specialize pass.  This has worked fine with Vista.  Same test PC and same domain.

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" 
                <Identification>
                    <Credentials>
                        <Domain>arbor01</Domain>
                        <Password>xxxxxx</Password>
                        <Username>installman</Username>
                    </Credentials>
                    <JoinDomain>arbor01</JoinDomain>
                    <MachineObjectOU>OU=Test,DC=arbor01,DC=com</MachineObjectOU>
                </Identification>
            </component>
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:55 AM

Answers

• I fixed this.  The full domain name is arbor01.com.  By using arbor01.com in the unattend.xml file, instead of just arbor01 (which was OK for Vista), allowed the PC to join the domain.  Geez.

On a side note... leaving the computer name blank in the Specialize pass (Shell-Setup_neutral) still doesn't work.  You are supposed to be prompted for a computer name if you leave this blank, but you are not.  This has been broken since Vista and my guess is MS is not going to fix this.  They could at least update the AIK documentation to say this.  It still says you can leave it blank to be prompted for a computer name.

• Marked as answer by Nick FV Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:27 AM

All replies

• I fixed this.  The full domain name is arbor01.com.  By using arbor01.com in the unattend.xml file, instead of just arbor01 (which was OK for Vista), allowed the PC to join the domain.  Geez.

On a side note... leaving the computer name blank in the Specialize pass (Shell-Setup_neutral) still doesn't work.  You are supposed to be prompted for a computer name if you leave this blank, but you are not.  This has been broken since Vista and my guess is MS is not going to fix this.  They could at least update the AIK documentation to say this.  It still says you can leave it blank to be prompted for a computer name.

• Marked as answer by Nick FV Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:27 AM
  • I hear you.  This is about the most confusing deployment yet.  Trying to join a domain using the Lite Touch deployment has been a real headache.  I will try your method of putting this is the Unattend.
    JustinS
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:48 PM
  • I'll toss my hat into this goofy ring - I am in awe that you cannot rename a PC BEFORE joining the domain.

Ridiculous.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:47 PM