none
Hibernate issue - cause by ATI Radeon X1200 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) driver

All replies

• Hi,
    I have had exactly the same problems as yourself with radeon x1200 locking up totally about a minute or two when I resume from hibernation.

The good news....
    I have managed to fix the problem by installing the ati legacy driver from 

(Dont download the whole software suite as this doesnt seem to work on windows 7)

Getting rid of the windows 7 WDDM driver and forcing it to install the ATI WDM Integrated Driver is a bit of a pain. The only way to do this is firstly to extract the installation files to your hard drive. You then need to update graphics driver in device manager - select the browse my computer option and click the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  The default extraction folder for the INF file you need is:

C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF

You can then manually select XL1200 series and it will force windows 7 to replace the WDDM driver with this one.

Admittedly they are vista drivers but they seem to work absolutely fine and I can now resume from hibernation without the system locking up each time. Hope this helps

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Hi,
    I have had exactly the same problems as yourself with radeon x1200 locking up totally about a minute or two when I resume from hibernation.

The good news....

(Dont download the whole software suite as this doesnt seem to work on windows 7)

Getting rid of the windows 7 WDDM driver and forcing it to install the ATI WDM Integrated Driver is a bit of a pain. The only way to do this is firstly to extract the installation files to your hard drive. You then need to update graphics driver in device manager - select the browse my computer option and click the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  The default extraction folder for the INF file you need is:

You can then manually select XL1200 series and it will force windows 7 to replace the WDDM driver with this one.

Admittedly they are vista drivers but they seem to work absolutely fine and I can now resume from hibernation without the system locking up each time. Hope this helps

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
    How did you extract this .exe package? In which software? I have tried 7-zip but it doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Creer
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

The good news....

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
    How did you extract this .exe package? In which software? I have tried 7-zip but it doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Creer

Once you download the 9-8_legacy_vista_32-64 driver you should run the installation. See if it says that the installation can proceed or not, giving you the driver 8.593.100. If that works, great! If not, here is what you may have to do that should work, it worked perfectly for me running the x1400 on Windows 7 RTM just a few days ago, and is a great tool to use for these cards.

Use the tool Mobility Modder (found at this link http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php )
    1) Since you have already attempted to install the 9.8 Legacy drivers, and failed, the extracted files will still be on your computer (Default is c:\ati\support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc). This is what you need to use soon.
    2) Download Mobility Modder, unzip, and install the program.
    3) Run Mobility Modder, click Browse, locate the folder mentioned above, and click Modify (this will mod the driver files so that they will install on your machine)
    4) Close Mobility Modder, open up Windows Explorer, go to that mentioned folder and run Setup.exe. Go through the normal setup options and the right drivers should be installed.

That is all! Good luck.

P.S. That driver that Windows 7 puts out for these cards is garbage. I don't know why they don't know it.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Or alternatively start the installer and it will ask you where you want to save the files on your computer - after you have done this cancel the installer (before you get to the point of installing the driver) and the files would have been extracted to C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF

You can then update the driver in device manager as per the instructions i provided above
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:29 PM
  • Thanks guys for help.

Mission accomplished :)

I ran installer and then I chose file from: C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF
    following to Grahamw2000 instructions from his first post in this thread.

Thanks a lot, I don't have problem with hibernation so far :)

I wish MS finally replace this buggy ATI driver 8.56.1.13

Regards,
    Creer
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Glad to hear it worked for you as well. Hope MS sort this buggy driver issue out soon though so others dont have to go through the frustation of working out why their windows 7 build is crashing. Its a great operating system otherwise to use.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:31 PM
  • It works well for me too on HP 6715b, there is no more freeze after hibernation. Thanks a lot Graham! :)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Same problem as everyone else.  The above fix worked for me as well.  Thanks Peter Creer.
    Oh, Gateway M-1631u.  Windows 7 64bit.

On a related note, the new driver seems to have fixed my browser "hanging" issues that I was having.  
    Chrome was hanging on several websites that I frequent including Hotmail.  The hanging issue required several page refreshes and/or taps on the "back" and "forward" buttons to get certain pages to load. 
    New driver, issue fixed.  
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

The good news....

Hi GrahamW,

I have a problem with the instructions you posted.  I have downloaded from the link you posted above and extracted by running the installer but then cancelling the install.  From there I have gone to update the driver as stated, however I do not have the file path that you mention.

The following is what I have:

C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_wdm\Packages\Drivers\WDM

I do not have a drivers\display as per your advice.  In the WDM folder I have the following:

AVS_HUB
    AVS_RIO
    AVS_T200
    RIO
    TVW_HSUB

None of the inf files in these locations works as I get the error saying that none of them match my device.

Any ideas as all posts I find on the net relate back to your initial post which I am stuck on?

Cheers
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Hi GrahamW, I have also problem as jollster101. In unzipped driver as no such file or directory you posted for manual installation. Installation with Setup.exe proceeded, but notebook still freezes. (sorry for my english)<br/> <br/> K.<br/>

K.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Jollster, Kiel.l, first of all you have to download not WDM package but Catalyst Software Suite available here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.7&lang=English
    Download link: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.exe

Then unpack it and you will find this folder:
    C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF (for 32bit)
    and
    C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF (for 64bit)

Good luck! :)

Cheers,
    Creer

• Edited by Peter Creer Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:22 PM typos
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Thanks Peter very much, works marvelously!

K.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Thanks Peter,

That worked this time around.  The original post mentioned not downloading the whole suite which is why I only downloaded the WDM driver and not the whole Catalyst App.

All fixed now though.

Cheers
    Friday, November 06, 2009 9:39 AM
  • You are welcome. Glad to hear it worked for you as well.

Regards,
    Peter Creer
    Friday, November 06, 2009 1:28 PM
  • hi
    I have the same problem I followed Graham's advice, I clicked on device manager "Update driver software" then "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer" and I only get two options ATI radeon X1200 series and standard vga graphics adapter
    I don know what to do now, How do I put the extracted file
    Please help
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:59 PM
  • hi
    I have the same problem I followed Graham's advice, I clicked on device manager "Update driver software" then "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer" and I only get two options ATI radeon X1200 series and standard vga graphics adapter
    I don know what to do now, How do I put the extracted file
    Please help

Hi,

I've just uploaded tutorial step-by step how to do this:

1. http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7854/55229468.png
    2. http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6049/11505684.png
    3. http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5713/96797980.png
    4. http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1732/86884099.png
    5. http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2729/54913829.png
    6. http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3185/36144075.png
    7. http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6762/85239576.png

Hope this helps,
    Peter (Creer)
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Thank you very much. Works great after hibernation.
    Thanks
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 3:23 PM
  • you guys are all awesome..totally solved the problem..microsfoft should pay you guys...super super deluxe job A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:08 PM
  • You are welcome :-)

Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Jollster, Kiel.l, first of all you have to download not WDM package but Catalyst Software Suite available here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.7&lang=English
    Download link: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.exe

Then unpack it and you will find this folder:
    C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF (for 32bit)
    and
    C:\ATI\Support\9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\ LH6A_INF (for 64bit)

Good luck! :)

Cheers,
    Creer

Hello, I take it that this issue only occurs when you have the hibernation set to on and not when it's turned off?  I never set my computer to hibernate.

I also downloaded the WDM package and not the Catalyst Software Suite because I didn't want too many computer cycles running in the background, draining RAM on a GUI center that I'd rarely open.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hello, I have the same exact problem and i followed all the steps, when i got to the final step which s installing the driver i got an data error (cyclic redundancy check) Anyone can help with this???
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Hello, I have the same exact problem and i followed all the steps, when i got to the final step which s installing the driver i got an data error (cyclic redundancy check) Anyone can help with this???
    CRC error normally means there was a problem downloading or extracting the file. I would redownload, reextract.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Thanks alot !!
    Been fooling with this for months, i fiannly just disabled hibernation.
    It was not only hibernation, just letting the display turn off after 10 min frozze it. 
    after may web searches i finnaly came across this thread...
    • Edited by furrybandit Monday, December 14, 2009 12:58 AM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:52 PM
  • as an update still freezes when display turn off after 10 min..i set it to that
    i am using X64..and i downloaded the 64 VER
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:51 PM
  • My problem is that my lap is able to wake up from hibernation all right when it is running on battary.
    With power supply cable is plugged in I do the same wake up from hibernation it freezes at the login screen.
    my lap is acer 5516, video driver is ATI radeon x1200 series version 8.593.100.0.it is very wierd that battray mode everything is ok, power supply cable plugged in laptop freeze. Is it possible that the video driver is running on different configuration for battary or plugged in?
    thanks
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Hi Peter - I have an issue with the ATI  Mobility Radeon X1300 video card in my Acer Travelmate 6460 after having loaded Windows 7.

First I downloaded 9-11_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.exe (now 9-11, rather than 9-8 as in the examples in this thread). I was going to follow your solution in the screenshots above, but I have a problem. While your Device Manager at least detected an ATI card you could work with in the driver update process, my Device Manager only sees 'Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', with the driver file listed as C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERs\monitor.sys

I'm not sure if I can update that driver if it is for 'Generic PnP Monitor' and not my 'ATI Mobility Radeon X1300'.  'Generic PnP Monitor' shows up instead of an ATI model in the top of each window where, in your screenshots I see the words 'Update Driver Software - ATI Radeon X1200 Series'.

I ran 9-11_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.exe anyway, to place the files in a C:\ATI folder. if I go to your steps 4 and 5 and and attempt to install the ATI driver anyway, I end up with two INF files and I have no idea which I should choose. They are LH_INF and LH6A_INF. I'm reluctant to try either of them anyway, because they would not be updating an ATI driver, according to my computer.

What should I do?

What would happen if I simply carried on with the driver install routine on the window that comes up after running the ATI generic driver file in the first place?

The last thing I want to do is stuff things up so I can't even opt to revert the XP on the laptop - I really want to stay with Windows 7 if at all possible.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Hi Vegan Fanatic. I have the 9.11 driver, but a possible problem I have, is that my device manager is not seeing my card as the ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 that it is. See my posting above your one. The other postings in this thread all seem to be situations where their video card is being recognised for what it is, so the new driver software should also 'see' it for what it is. How is it going to react to my 'Generic PnP Monitor'?
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Hi Vegan Fanatic - you're suggesting I use the device manager to find the display adapter that has the problem (yellow questionmark) and work from there. But as I said earlier, the device manager doesn't see an ATI card. It sees 'Generic PnP Monitor' and it says everything is working properly. I imagine that I can't choose something that's not an ATI X1300 adapter and update that with an ATI driver? Or can I?
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:13 AM
  • I managed to get the ATI X1300 card finally seen, and the driver installed. And I'm nominally getting the correct 1680 x 1050 resolution. But it's behaving weirdly. Effectively I'm getting both 1680 x 1050 plus a much lower resolution (could be 800x600) all at the same time. Sounds crazy. but it's true.

I'm getting the correct resolution of 1680 x 1050 for the overall full-screen window and stuff within that window that is effectively vector graphics. But I get  the lower resolution for icons and text that are effectively bitmaps.

Here's what happens with apps I have installed so far:

Google Earth: effectively useless. A warning to that effect came up during installation, when it said the resolution was too low.
    Firefox and Thunderbird: both have hugely enlarged graphics elements that chew up my screen real estate.
    Internet Explorer 8: no problem.
    MS Office 2003:
    no problem
    Photoshop: not good. All the palettes, toolboxes etc are really bitmap graphics and all are enlarged and a bit fuzzy. This means my screen real estate is severely restricted.
    InDesign: hopeless. It refuses to install at all because it says it needs a minimum of 1024x768. (I thought I was giving it 1680 x 1050!)
    Ziepod: useable, but text enlarged and fuzzy
    Mailwasher Pro: ditto.

Because I hate the idea of going back to XP, I'd try to put up with the situation. But I can't because I have to use InDesign professionally.

Any bright ideas? I'm stumped.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:26 AM
  • A new video card will be faster, even the bottom of the line 4350 is way better.

There is one model with VGA, DVI and HDMI on it.

How realistic is it to put a new video card into a laptop? (In my case an Acer 6460) I just visited a PC World site that said : Upgrading your laptop's graphics card is no walk in the park; in fact it's something more akin to open heart surgery. But it can be done, and the rewards can be well worth the trouble and risk." It also said "But be warned: If the upgrade is possible at all for your laptop, it can be a time-consuming operation that involves disassembling."

No thanks...
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:49 AM
  • How realistic is it to put a new video card into a laptop? (In my case an Acer 6460) I just visited a PC World site that said : Upgrading your laptop's graphics card is no walk in the park; in fact it's something more akin to open heart surgery. But it can be done, and the rewards can be well worth the trouble and risk." It also said "But be warned: If the upgrade is possible at all for your laptop, it can be a time-consuming operation that involves disassembling."

No thanks...
    Sorry to say this but with this laptop, you will probably either have to revert back to XP, or buy a new laptop since your machine is too old to be fully compatible.

Even if you could upgrade the video card, is it really worth more in time and money than the old laptop's worth?  Sounds like you already answered that question.

I've been having trouble with bitmap images in Win7 too and it's because websites and software vendors haven't caught up to Win7's imaging scheme yet.  Either that or change the fonts to small, which I don't care for and are too small for me.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:01 PM
  • I did not see a mobile machine in the OP> In this case you machine might not be 100% compatible with Windows 7 as the x1200 is about 4-5 years old.
    Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

It's actually an X1300 I have, and the machine is 2.5 years old. It  can handle Win7 no problems - aero effects and all. Apart from the display issues I mentioned.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Thanks Grahmw2000 I Was Sick Of The Freeze Issue I Don't Reply Post On Treads But You Really Helped Me Alot.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

ATI doesn't support mentioned link anymore. I can download only the newest (10.2) driver wich is not sollution for the freezing problem!
    Can you help me giving another link for download?

Thanks a lot!
    G.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Hi, I've just uploaded for you old ATI drivers which works on Windows 7: version 9.8 legacy.

Below is the link to download, zipped to .7z (7-zip):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/utcdm4nkzjr/9-8_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.7z

Regards, Peter

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:51 PM
  • "10.3 is in beta and should be available soon as testers I know suggest its OK."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you let us know when it's available by posting it here?

Thanks...

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:14 PM
  • 10.3 has been released.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old

It has?

I just visited their website and didn't see it over there.  Do you have a link for it?

Thanks...,.

Saturday, July 03, 2010 8:25 PM
  • I've got an X600 in my Fujitsu laptop that recently started hanging on resume from Hibernate or sleep. I've tried a lot of the driver updates to no avail. But I think I've fixed it. I had plugged a dud SD card into the laptop a while back and forgot about it. Removed it yesterday, and haven't had a problem since... Just thought I'd share. Thanks for your help anyway.

Dave

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 10:24 AM
  • I just checked AMD's site and could only find 10.2

Does anybody have a current link for 10.3?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 11:43 AM
  • I believe this is the correct link:

http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tips/Pages/catalyst-10-3-preview.aspx

Hello and thanks.  Two questions:

1) Is this still in beta?

2) I don't see the Radeon X1200 series mentioned on that page.  Will this still work with that model graphics card?

And if anyone else wants to jump in here, feel free to do so.

Sincerely,

bws

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Those built-in ATI drivers for Windows aren't aero capable.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:29 PM
  • This is a laptop bought at the end of 2007.  Replacing the card is not an option.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:38 PM
  • And it is aero capable in Vista
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:41 PM