none
Windows 7 New Folder Very Slow

Question

• Greetings - I installed Build 7100 on HP Pavilion a6750f, AMD 9650 Quad-core processor, 8 GM RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics.
    The only third party software is Firefox 3.0.11 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 and Norton Internet Security 2009 16.0.0.125

When I right-click to create a new folder, it takes 20 seconds or more for the folder icon to appear on the desktop.
    Likewise, when saving an image to a folder and requesting a new folder inside the Save dialog, the new folder operation is very slow.

Any suggestions on how to fix this appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:22 AM

All replies

• brownd_austin,

I'd recommend uninstalling Norton Internet Security and seeing if you can repeat the behavior - it sounds to me like it might be being overly defensive when it comes to your file system.
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:48 PM
  • I have what sounds like exactly the same issue: If I'm in a save-as dialog in any app, or from within Explorer, and I select "New Folder", it takes upwards of one MINUTE to actually return control to the app. Same thing happens if I try to rename a folder from within a save-as dialog.

I've tried disabling Anti-Virus entirely. I have Windows 7 final, upgraded from a recently reinstalled copy of Windows Vista. What's up with this?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:08 PM
  • I have the same problem as well on 64-bit windows 7.  Extremely slow rename or new folder operations.  Fixed for a while on reboot, but new problem eventually comes back.  I am using a custom build asus p5wdg2-ws motherboard with 4Gb of memory. It should not take 3-5 minutes to rename a file or create a new file.  Very frustrating that there is no posted solution to this issue since June.   I don't have this problem on any of the other machines running 64-bit Windows 7 -- just this one for some reason.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Slow right-click performance is often a misbehaving Shell Extension.  Lots of older (and often very useful) shell extensions may not be fully compatible with the reimplemented Windows 7 Explorer.

Check your shell extensions, particularly the non-Microsoft ones which are shown in red, with ShellExView:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Try disabling them one by one to see which one is hanging the menu (as I recall you have to log off and on again for the "disable" to take effect).

Take the time to do this methodically and you'll be rewarded with a responsive menu once again.

-Noel
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Hi Noel, Its not the context menu that is slow. It is only "New Folder" button in the toolbar (or right click context menu) and Rename folder is similarly as slow.

Any other ideas?

Did anyone on this thread resolve the issue.

Thx, Jason
    Didn't get enough help here? Submit a case with the Microsoft Customer Support team for deeper investigation - http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Check the forums for Not Responding (or the web for that matter) - this is a popular (and seriously frustrating) problem
    My new 64-bit PC is basically useless at times - any application/web surfing/Office/iTunes or Ctl Alt Del Task Manager - all suffering Not Responding issues.  No unusual processes, all quiet in Task Manager during these episodes.   
    PY
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 10:56 AM
  • I'm simply not seeing "Slow" nor "Not Responding" issues here (Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and x64 systems), so it's probably not a systemic Windows 7 problem, but more likely a problem with the compatibility of added software (e.g., such as a security/antivirus suite).

Actually, to be very accurate, I've seen ONE such issue, which stalls everything for about a second while doing an install or uninstall via MSI.

Back to the reported Explorer issues:  Is the problem easily reproduced?  Can you post very specific steps to reproduce it?  That would be helpful.

Even though you're saying it's the "New Folder" button, have you reviewed the Shell Extensions and tried disabling them?

-Noel
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:58 PM
  • i've seen this problem many times since moving to windows 7-64 but became so frustrated this evening that finally looked it up on the web.

tried to create a new folder and nothing happened for a frustratingly long time.  thinking that maybe i didn't create it properly i click "new folder" again.  nothing.  so i click again.  nothing.  and i click again.  finally i hit f5 (refresh) and all of a sudden i see all of the new folders.

so now, after creating a new folder i guess i'll always hit f5.  this is NOT how i would expect this capability to work.

my laptop is a pretty standard lenovo x61

my windows 7 experience has been extremely frustrating and ultimately disappointing.  from weird DWM rendering issues to slow file explorer to this.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Same issue here, Win7 x64 - any of you guys using an SSD, could be related to that? I'm going to get procmon on the job I think...
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Try a clean install of Windows 7 and see if the problem persists, I noted a few upgrades that are experiencing the problems.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:35 PM
  • I cannot stress enough that Windows 7 does not typically delay in updating the display as a systemic issue.

Check your shell extensions.

-Noel
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:00 AM
  • I'm having the same issue of Not Responding when Creating a New Folder (and renaming that new folder) or renaming an existing folder.

Heres whats installed:
    FRESH copy of Windows 7 Professional x64
    installed Virtual CloneDrive for ISO mounting.
    installed Visual Studio 2008 professional with SQL Express 2008
    installed SQL Serevr Developer 2008
    have NOT installed any AntiVirus.

The only thing I can think of is to send a carbon copy of my hard drive for testing...

[Can't seem to post attachments here... would like to send a copy of ShellExView report]
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:36 PM
  • You can cut and paste it into the forum if its not too biig.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Ensoft, did you try any folder creation operations when you first installed Windows, before installing any of those apps?

I have Visual Studio 2008, and it doesn't do that to my system.  I don't recognize that Virtual CloneDrive package though.

Does the problem occur when booting into safe mode?

-Noel

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:06 AM
  • I'd like to report that I also have the same problem. File and folder creation and rename is extremely slow. I am experiencing this identical issue on two different systems:

Desktop

Intel Core i7 920
    12GB RAM
    Asus P6T
    AMD 4870 1GB
    Intel 160GB G2 SSD

Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
    3GB RAM
    Nvidia 9400M
    G.Skill 128GB Falcon II SSD

The strange thing is that after I rename a file/folder, the operation occurs instantly - I can open another instance of Explorer and see that the file rename worked just fine. But the Explorer window that I used to perform the rename sits on "Not Responding" for up to several minutes. So it's certainly not a filesystem or hardware issue. I also checked my shell extensions - the problem still occurs even after I disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Do you have any shortcuts in a library or on your desktop to computers or printers that were once available on your network but are now disconnected or offline?

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Bionic T db Friday, March 01, 2013 3:34 PM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Hi there.  My new 64-bit Windows 7 PC was suffering from this wretched "Not Responding" issue.  Making folders, openign folders, starting or navigating Windows Explorer, using any program, starting Control Panel, starting Task Manager, etc.  Basically anything would trigger a long delay, Not Responding message eventually appearing on the window title bar.  Task Manager would show no unusal activity or processes.

After a couple of weeks of searching in the internet, forums, blogs (huge variety of suggestions from Windows 7 people!), uninstalling software, hardware checks, removing and updating drivers, deconnecting hardware devices and ports, stripping back various add-ons, programs, services, removing anti-virus and security software, windows updates, starting in Safe-Mode, etc, performing extensive memory and hardware check (all hardware passed Windows 7 compliance testing).  Nothing would solve this Not Responding issue.  See my entry in this blog and others.

It would sometimes occur very soon after rebooting, sometimes after an hour or two, even if the computer just sat there - no programs open, all screen savers disabled, various power setting configuratoins, etc.  Running in Windows Classic interface, no fancy aero features, etc, had no influence.  Nothing would permanently stop this crappy behaviour.  Company that builds these PC's said they have identical machines and no one else has this problem...   

So they completely reformatted the disk and reinstalled Windows 7 (same version).  Problem solved!  Same hardware, same drivers, some devices connected.  All works perfectly now.  Very fast, no delays seen for over 4 weeks now of continuous usage with all the same programs and add-ons re-installed. 

Summary:  Completely reinstall Windows 7 64-bit from scratch.  I mean wipe your HD and reinstall from new.  This immediately solved my "Not Responding" problems.  I haven't seen a delay since.

PY

Monday, March 22, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Do you have any shortcuts in a library or on your desktop to computers or printers that were once available on your network but are now disconnected or offline?

-Noel

Nope.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

Yesterday I installed a windows 7 with the free 30 day trial kaspersky virus scanner on a duo core machine.

creating a new folder takes half a minute.

It's a common problem however i couldn't find a solution yet.

I am getting frustrated with this, first loosing a lot of time with vista problems, i though windows 7 would be better and it's still the same. I think i am going to install XP again, i just want to do the things i want to do and not waiste my time with windows 7 problems.

Anno

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

Yesterday I installed a windows 7 with the free 30 day trial kaspersky virus scanner on a duo core machine.

creating a new folder takes half a minute.

It's a common problem however i couldn't find a solution yet.

I am getting frustrated with this, first loosing a lot of time with vista problems, i though windows 7 would be better and it's still the same. I think i am going to install XP again, i just want to do the things i want to do and not waiste my time with windows 7 problems.

Anno

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Yesterday I installed a windows 7 with the free 30 day trial kaspersky virus scanner on a duo core machine.
    Did you happen to note how things were, without Kaspersky installed?
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Same problem here.

Also i can open a new explorer and then i see that it has changed

i also need to refresh my explorer to see new folders.

this is very frustrating.

i have antivir, but even with the guard down it still hangs.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:17 PM
  • To everyone experiencing this issue:

It simply does not happen on most systems, implying something you have installed or done has caused it.

Your task is to figure out what that is.

This could be the worst kind of integration problem in which the combination of software/hardware on your particular machine is responsible.  It is likely that your particular mix is utterly unique to your computer and has never been tested together.  If so, a fix may be long in coming if at all.

Or it could be a bona fide hardware problem on your computer.

The best approach is to start with a Safe Mode boot to see if the problem goes away.  If so, start to eliminate things you are running.  Windows 7 is still new enough that there are programs out there that claim to be compatible but still have big problems.

Keep in mind settings and system files can be changed by software installations, so just disabling things (e.g., antivirus) MAY NOT restore operation, even if those things are the cause of the problem.  If you can, use System Restore to go back to points prior to when the problem was observed.

A "last ditch effort" approach is to do a complete clean install of Windows 7, making sure you make system restore points at key times and watching carefully for the problem to appear.

Good luck.

-Noel

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Looking at the OP's machine, the HD 3200 is a low end integrated video card and Windows 7 is more dependent on it than Vista.

I suggest upgrding the video card to a mid range one or even a mainstream model where you will find Windows is much more responsive.

I have a table on my site of many video cards in the reviews section. Its far from comprehensive but should make things more clear.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:53 PM
  • The best approach to solve this problem is for someone who has a repro to call Microsoft support and open an indicent for investigation. Request that the engineer run XPerf to diagnose where the CPU and time is spent during one of these renames.

I would do so, but after installing a bunch of software on my machine, I don't get the problem any more.

If someone is brave, you can follow this blog posting to install the XPerf tool and help track down the exact root cause of the performance delay when renaming a folder.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2008/04/03/windows-performance-toolkit-xperf.aspx

I'm not totally sure, but I think XPerf works on Win 7 too.

Start the trace before the problem happen, reproduce the hang, then note the clock time, and when the rename finishes, note the clock time again. Use the viewer to look at the trace, and see if it shows a certain driver, or a certain function in ntdll which is consuming the time and resources.

Thanks, Jason

Didn't get enough help here? Submit a case with the Microsoft Customer Support team for deeper investigation - http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

Not sure if the answers are from customers or MS employees. If the answers are coming from MS they should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyway i am not going to waiste anytime 'investigating' what the problem is. I simply don't want to do that, MS should fix this without bothering customers.  I expected windows 7 to work with kaspersky, msn live, skype, yahoo messenger etc. I am going back to XP.

Would like to have my money back but that's probably a waiste of time as well.
    (this is my last reply to this thread, just want to move on)

B.R.

Anno

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:48 PM
  • I am independent, I do not work for Microsoft. I get no paycheck from them. I do this for free.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:33 PM
  • I am also experiencing the problem.  This has been demonstrated many times and has to do with hibernation. Most people don't hibernate (I guess) and that's why some of the posters don't see it.

Win7 x64 has issues with explorer when you come out of hibernation.  To fix it (temporarily) simply kill / restart explorer.exe from task manager.

MS needs to send a patch.  Hopefully they're on it.

Friday, April 09, 2010 12:28 AM
  • I have this exact same issue, W7pro x64.

Trying to create a new folder, Win Explorer takes like 45 seconds to return. Opening a new instance of Win Explorer shows that the folder has indeed been created, it is just that the instance from which it was created takes a long time to return and is totally unresponsive during that time (no window update, nothing).

In addition, once the folder is eventually created, deleting it also behaves strangely. The folder is removed (as can be checked from another Win Explorer instance) but the instance from which it was removed still displays it. Deleting the folder again gives the error message that the item no longer exists.

This happens with creating folders as well as txt-files, rar-files, Excel worksheets etc, except that these are correctly (and immediately) deleted while folders are not (as mentioned above).

Task manager does not show any excessive CPU% during the time that the particular Win Explorer instance is unresponsive...

EDIT: I just no wre-booted, and now everything works as expected, I can create and delete folders with no problem, so it is not an antivirus/scanner issue, I guess.

Friday, April 09, 2010 1:06 PM
  • @That.Smart.Guy

I think you're absolutely right, I almost never restart/turn off my laptop, I just let it go to sleep or hibernate. I had the same issue with New Folder taking minutes to work.

A few minutes ago I tried to do the New Folder thing and it hung there for a long time, then I tried what you said about killing explorer.exe and restarting it and it worked! no more delays.

To have to do this everytime I wake my laptop is gonna be as annoying as the folder hanging. I do hope MS is working on a patch, that's why they charge the big bucks.

I am using Windows 7 Pro x64.

Friday, April 09, 2010 6:28 PM
  • If that's really the case there is a pretty good workaround, which causes a new Explorer process to be started whenever you open a file-access window:

1.  In an Explorer window, make the Menus visible by clicking Organize - Layout - then checking Menu bar.
    2.  Now click the Tools menu and select Folder Options...
    3.  Click the View tab.
    4.  Scroll down and check [ ] Launch folder windows in a separate process.

As I have always had this setting checked, it may well be why I am not seeing this problem, and the neat thing is there's virtually no downside to this option!

Here's hoping it works for you!  Please let us know if it does!

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Friday, April 09, 2010 8:43 PM
    Friday, April 09, 2010 8:43 PM
  • The best approach to solve this problem is for someone who has a repro to call Microsoft support and open an indicent for investigation. Request that the engineer run XPerf to diagnose where the CPU and time is spent during one of these renames.

I would do so, but after installing a bunch of software on my machine, I don't get the problem any more.

If someone is brave, you can follow this blog posting to install the XPerf tool and help track down the exact root cause of the performance delay when renaming a folder.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2008/04/03/windows-performance-toolkit-xperf.aspx

I'm not totally sure, but I think XPerf works on Win 7 too.

Start the trace before the problem happen, reproduce the hang, then note the clock time, and when the rename finishes, note the clock time again. Use the viewer to look at the trace, and see if it shows a certain driver, or a certain function in ntdll which is consuming the time and resources.

Thanks, Jason

I'd be happy to do a little profiling myself to get to the root of this problem, but the version of the Windows SDK I have installed is too old and doesn't include xperf. Could you provide a direct link? I'd rather not have to download the entire Windows SDK.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:22 AM
  • I just ran a search for any filename containing xperf using Windows Search on both my x64 and 32 bit machines, both Windows 7.0 and 7.0A SDKs, and did not turn up any files.  Perhaps you misunderstood the requirements...  From the page linked above:

What you will need

Download the latest version of the Windows Performance Tools Kit, and install it on your machine. (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/perftools.mspx : Windows Performance Tools Kit, v.4.1.1 (QFE)) You will need to find the toolkit that corresponds to your processor architecture. Currently there are 3 versions available i.e. X86, IA64, X64.

After installation you should be able to see 2 new tools. The first one is Xperf, which is a command line tool that is used to capture the trace. The second is called XperfView, which graphically interprets the trace that has been collected by Xperf.

You will need to run the Xperf and XperfView from an elevated command prompt for all functionality.

Have you tried the workaround I noted?

-Noel

Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Sorry their website doesn't explain the directions on how to install.

For XPerf, I just tried the Win 7 SDK download. Then I picked only the "Windows Development Tools" and the two subitems in the install menu to save space.

Then run the installer for the Windows Performance Tools for your bitness

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\wpt_x64.msi

or

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\wpt_x86.msi

The install goes into yet another folder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit\xperf.exe

Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Process Explorer might be an easier tool to track this by monitoring the stacks in Explorer.exe

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/performance/bb896653.aspx

You could add a filter to include process name Explorer.exe and see what its doing while the 30 second hang occurs.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Do note that that text is old - the current version is 4.6, and Jason's subsequent instructions represent, unfortunately, the best way currently available to get the WPT on one's system.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 1:41 AM
  • Sounds like you're confusing features (filtering) of Process Monitor, with Process Explorer - two similarly named Sysinternals utilities.  I think the xperf trace, if one can narrow it down enough to the time period of interest, may be a pretty good bet.  Alternatively, one could use Process Monitor (not Process Explorer), enable thread profiling events every 100 ms, and then filter for events attributable to explorer.exe.  Note the event corresponding to the directory creation, and then note its duration when it completes.  Focus on the stacks in the events (especially profiling events) that occur between the time of the directory creation event, and run through the duration of that event.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 1:45 AM
  • If that's really the case there is a pretty good workaround, which causes a new Explorer process to be started whenever you open a file-access window:

1. In an Explorer window, make the Menus visible by clicking Organize - Layout - then checking Menu bar.
    2. Now click the Tools menu and select Folder Options...
    3. Click the View tab.
    4. Scroll down and check [ ] Launch folder windows in a separate process.

As I have always had this setting checked, it may well be why I am not seeing this problem, and the neat thing is there's virtually no downside to this option!

Here's hoping it works for you! Please let us know if it does!

-Noel

- I tried this on another computer...so far seems to have worked...will post if the problem reappears...thanks for this possible solution...

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:43 AM
  • I am also experiancing this issue.

I made a log by:

I started ProcMon with an exporer.exe filter. I then Right Clicked my desktop went to New Folder. As soon as the folder appeared, I clicked the Capture button to stop capturing new data.

http://cid-f295f678788a2dc1.skydrive.live.com/embedicon.aspx/Public/Logfile.PML

Let me know if this helps or you need other logs.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. My computer has 328 hours of Idle CPU right now. All patches installed, no antivirus.

PRab

Monday, April 26, 2010 6:26 AM
  • From the .pml file, I assume the new folder creation started at 2:18:44, and ended at 2:20:47.  

The process monitor log shows a series of 5 second gaps that are concerning.

{

Start at 2:18:44

The gaps are visible at these times 2:18:49, 2:18:54, 2:19:04, 2:19:09, 2:19:14, 2:19:19, 2:19:24, 2:19:29, 2:19:34, 2:19:39, 2:19:44, 2:19:49, 2:19:54, 2:19:59, 2:20:04, 2:20:09, 2:20:14,

Then Explorer is Busy at 2:20:17

Then gaps at 2:20:19, 2:20:24, 2:20:29, 2:20:34, 2:20:39, 2:20:44,

Then busy again at 2:20:47 until the end.

}

All the stacks at the time just before and just after the gaps show it perusing the registry looking up class IDs for various registered components. However, we can't see what's happening during the 5 second gaps from registry and file activity alone.

Before gap:

0	ntoskrnl.exe	CmpCallCallBacks + 0x1c0	0xfffff8000307f0d0	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    1	ntoskrnl.exe	 ?? ::NNGAKEGL::`string' + 0x359df	0xfffff800030166f6	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    2	ntoskrnl.exe	ObfDereferenceObject + 0xd4	0xfffff80002cd27b4	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    3	ntoskrnl.exe	ObpCloseHandleTableEntry + 0xc4	0xfffff80002fe44b4	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    4	ntoskrnl.exe	ObpCloseHandle + 0x94	0xfffff80002fe43b4	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    5	ntoskrnl.exe	KiSystemServiceCopyEnd + 0x13	0xfffff80002ccc853	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    6	ntdll.dll	ZwClose + 0xa	0x77cdffaa	C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    7	KERNELBASE.dll	CloseHandle + 0x13	0x7fefdd21843	C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    8	kernel32.dll	CloseHandleImplementation + 0x3d	0x77b92c41	C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    9	ole32.dll	CheckRefresh + 0x22f	0x7fefe5334ef	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    10	ole32.dll	_chkstk + 0x5bc9	0x7fefe4d8e59	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    11	ole32.dll	CComCatalog::GetClassInfoInternal + 0x29c	0x7fefe4b966c	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    12	ole32.dll	CComCatalog::GetClassInfoW + 0x27	0x7fefe4b93c3	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    13	ole32.dll	LookForConfiguredClsid + 0x8e	0x7fefe4b8cfe	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    14	ole32.dll	ICoGetClassObject + 0xf2	0x7fefe4a0262	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    15	ole32.dll	CStdMarshal::GetPSFactory + 0x128	0x7fefe49f1bc	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    16	ole32.dll	CStdMarshal::CreateProxy + 0x95	0x7fefe492779	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    17	ole32.dll	CStdMarshal::MakeCliIPIDEntry + 0x3d	0x7fefe492a31	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    18	ole32.dll	CStdMarshal::UnmarshalIPID + 0x70	0x7fefe4929a4	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    19	ole32.dll	CStdMarshal::Finish_RemQIAndUnmarshal1 + 0x1ac	0x7fefe496936	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    20	ole32.dll	CStdIdentity::CInternalUnk::QueryMultipleInterfaces + 0x2a2	0x7fefe492f3f	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    21	ole32.dll	CStdIdentity::CInternalUnk::QueryInterface + 0x31	0x7fefe490be9	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    22	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2d2b22	0x73532b22	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    23	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x304745	0x73564745	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    24	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2ec010	0x7354c010	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    25	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x21a37a	0x7347a37a	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    26	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x21ba46	0x7347ba46	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    27	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2217a9	0x734817a9	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    28	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0xc2847	0x73322847	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    29	USER32.dll	UserCallWinProcCheckWow + 0x1ad	0x77a8c3c1	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    30	USER32.dll	DispatchMessageWorker + 0x3b5	0x77a8c60a	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    31	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x242fe5	0x734a2fe5	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    32	kernel32.dll	BaseThreadInitThunk + 0xd	0x77b8f56d	C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    33	ntdll.dll	RtlUserThreadStart + 0x1d	0x77cc3281	C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

After gap:

0	ntoskrnl.exe	CmpCallCallBacks + 0x1c0	0xfffff8000307f0d0	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    1	ntoskrnl.exe	 ?? ::NNGAKEGL::`string' + 0x2c227	0xfffff80002fedb1b	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    2	ntoskrnl.exe	ObpLookupObjectName + 0x585	0xfffff80002fc7a64	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    3	ntoskrnl.exe	ObOpenObjectByName + 0x306	0xfffff80002fccb76	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    4	ntoskrnl.exe	CmOpenKey + 0x28a	0xfffff80002fabbec	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    5	ntoskrnl.exe	NtOpenKey + 0x12	0xfffff80002faee12	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    6	ntoskrnl.exe	KiSystemServiceCopyEnd + 0x13	0xfffff80002ccc853	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    7	ntdll.dll	ZwOpenKey + 0xa	0x77cdffda	C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    8	ole32.dll	CheckRefresh + 0xd2	0x7fefe533392	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    9	ole32.dll	_chkstk + 0x5bc9	0x7fefe4d8e59	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    10	ole32.dll	CComCatalog::GetClassInfoFromProgId + 0x173	0x7fefe4ade53	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    11	ole32.dll	CComCatalog::GetClassInfoFromProgId + 0x21	0x7fefe4adb85	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    12	ole32.dll	CLSIDFromProgID + 0xd2	0x7fefe4adc62	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    13	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2d2a2e	0x73532a2e	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    14	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x304745	0x73564745	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    15	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2ec010	0x7354c010	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    16	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x21a37a	0x7347a37a	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    17	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x21ba46	0x7347ba46	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    18	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2217a9	0x734817a9	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    19	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0xc2847	0x73322847	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    20	USER32.dll	UserCallWinProcCheckWow + 0x1ad	0x77a8c3c1	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    21	USER32.dll	DispatchMessageWorker + 0x3b5	0x77a8c60a	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    22	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x242fe5	0x734a2fe5	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    23	kernel32.dll	BaseThreadInitThunk + 0xd	0x77b8f56d	C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    24	ntdll.dll	RtlUserThreadStart + 0x1d	0x77cc3281	C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Interesting its showing Windows Live Mesh (WLCShell.dll) in all the above stacks before and after the 5 second delays... don't know if that is a potential cause or the innocent bystander...

WLCShell.dll - C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll

If you uninstall Live Mesh, does the problem go away?

Other than that we are left with the unknown. What's causing Explorer to have a series of 23 of 5 second gaps. We need to see the stacks of the threads during those times where no file or registry activity is happening.

The other tool I mentioned named XPerf may show it if you have time to try that approach.

Thanks for exploring Explorer... Jason

Monday, April 26, 2010 1:16 PM
  • If you repeat the Process Monitor and add the thread profiling events, we maybe able to see the 5 second delay to know what its doing.

In the Options Menu > Profiling Events, check the box "Generate Profiling Events" every 1 second should be a good start. 100 milliseconds is fine too.

Let's see then when the delays are happenings, what are the threads doing, by looking at those stacks in the thread profiling events during the gaps between registry reads.

The original .pml file you shared only shows profiling events for the process, which doesn't have details on the thread stacks to know what's causing their delays.

Thx, Jason

Monday, April 26, 2010 2:16 PM
  • I'm seeing this issue too (Win7, x64, SSD, Core i7, enough of RAM etc). Live Mesh is installed on my PC if you think it might be playing part here. (I'm sorry but I probably won't have time to help debug this issue, just writing to confirm it.)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Same as previous with Generate Profiling Events every 100 milliseconds. I still have live mesh installed and enabled. http://cid-f295f678788a2dc1.skydrive.live.com/embedicon.aspx/Public/Logfile2.PML

I tried just exiting live mesh, but it makes no difference. The new folder still takes a long time to create. I can uninstall Live Mesh, I just have to make sure I backup all the settings first.

I'll try to get that XPerf tool installed, but I have never used it before.

PRab

Edit: I don't know if this is related, but when I delete anything via explorer, it does not disappear until I hit f5. I don't remember this happening before.

• Edited by PRabahy Monday, April 26, 2010 11:00 PM More info
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Xperf comes with Visual Studio, I am aware of it as I use Visual Studio. I do not suggest it as unless your a developer like me, you will not have that tool.

It would be helpful to have detailed machine specifics such as....

See my site, and look for the link for the Windows box and that will show you what I need to help diagnose the problem better.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a CPU to finish the new server, AM2/AM2+/AM3
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:25 AM
  • xperf comes with the Windows SDK.  Jason previously provided directions on how to download and install xperf and the Windows Performance Toolkit.

Long and short...

Get the Windows Performance Toolkit 4.6 from the Windows 7 RTM SDK .  Run the web installer and choose to install Win32 Development Tools. Find wpt_x86.msi or wpt_x64.msi (for the appropriate OS architecture you're running), and run the installer - X:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\wpt_x64.msi  or  X:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\wpt_x86.msi

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:53 AM
  • xperf comes with the Windows SDK.  Jason previously provided directions on how to download and install xperf and the Windows Performance Toolkit.

Long and short...

Get the Windows Performance Toolkit 4.6 from the Windows 7 RTM SDK .  Run the web installer and choose to install Win32 Development Tools. Find wpt_x86.msi or wpt_x64.msi (for the appropriate OS architecture you're running), and run the installer - X:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\wpt_x64.msi  or  X:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\wpt_x86.msi

That SDK comes with Visual Studio but its available stand alone as well. Guess world+dog are now developers like it or not.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a CPU to finish the new server, AM2/AM2+/AM3
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:04 AM
  • I see the same 3-5 second delay pattern as last time... and you included the thread profile events every 100 ms (a lot of data to read through indeed)

The folder rename took 35 seconds:

6:52:25 - busy time at beginning... thread 1828, 1264

6:52:27 - Thread 1264 registry access - 4 second gap

6:52:31 - Thread 1856 registry access - 2 second gap

6:52:33 - Thread 1856 registry access - 1 second gap

6:52:34 - Thread 3540 registry access - 2 second gap

6:52:36 - Thread 1856 registry access - 5 second gap

6:52:41 - Thread 1856 registry access - 5 second gap

6:52:46 - Thread 1856 registry access - 5 second gap

6:52:51 - Thread 1856 registry access - 4 second gap

6:52:55 - Thread 1856 registry access - 1 second gap

6:52:56 - Thread 1856 registry access - 2 second gap

6:52:58 - Thread 4364, 5352,3740 registry access

6:53:00 - busy til end...

I looked at the profiling events, but nothing is sticking out as being "busy" during the 5 second delays for the various thread stacks... everything is waiting for an event or sleeping waiting on a message.

The thread 1856 which is the busy one between each 2-5 second gap is indeed doing Windows Live Mesh code (WLCShell.dll) so its still there, even with the task tray app exited. Again, I don't know its the problem, but just something to note. I don't want you to struggle through an uninstall, but if you want to experiment it might help to know if that does the trick or not.

Thread 1856 Idle...

4/26/2010 6:52:41 PM
    0	ntoskrnl.exe	KiDeliverApc + 0x13d	0xfffff80002ca9f35	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    1	ntoskrnl.exe	KiCommitThreadWait + 0x3dd	0xfffff80002cd495d	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    2	ntoskrnl.exe	KeWaitForSingleObject + 0x19f	0xfffff80002cd68af	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    3	win32k.sys	xxxRealSleepThread + 0x257	0xfffff9600013b447	C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys
    4	win32k.sys	xxxSleepThread + 0x59	0xfffff9600013b4e9	C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys
    5	win32k.sys	xxxRealInternalGetMessage + 0x7dc	0xfffff96000139b14	C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys
    6	win32k.sys	xxxInternalGetMessage + 0x35	0xfffff96000139c19	C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys
    7	win32k.sys	NtUserGetMessage + 0x75	0xfffff9600013b615	C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys
    8	ntoskrnl.exe	KiSystemServiceCopyEnd + 0x13	0xfffff80002ccc853	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    9	USER32.dll	NtUserGetMessage + 0xa	0x77a8c92a	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    10	USER32.dll	GetMessageW + 0x34	0x77a8c95e	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    11	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x242f66	0x734a2f66	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    12	kernel32.dll	BaseThreadInitThunk + 0xd	0x77b8f56d	C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    13	ntdll.dll	RtlUserThreadStart + 0x1d	0x77cc3281	C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

The same thread 1856 when busy is doing registry reads for live mesh...

1	ntoskrnl.exe	 ?? ::NNGAKEGL::`string' + 0x2c227	0xfffff80002fedb1b	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    2	ntoskrnl.exe	ObpLookupObjectName + 0x585	0xfffff80002fc7a64	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    3	ntoskrnl.exe	ObOpenObjectByName + 0x306	0xfffff80002fccb76	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    4	ntoskrnl.exe	CmOpenKey + 0x28a	0xfffff80002fabbec	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    5	ntoskrnl.exe	NtOpenKey + 0x12	0xfffff80002faee12	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    6	ntoskrnl.exe	KiSystemServiceCopyEnd + 0x13	0xfffff80002ccc853	C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    7	ntdll.dll	ZwOpenKey + 0xa	0x77cdffda	C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    8	ole32.dll	CheckRefresh + 0xd2	0x7fefe533392	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    9	ole32.dll	_chkstk + 0x5bc9	0x7fefe4d8e59	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    10	ole32.dll	CComCatalog::GetClassInfoFromProgId + 0x173	0x7fefe4ade53	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    11	ole32.dll	CComCatalog::GetClassInfoFromProgId + 0x21	0x7fefe4adb85	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    12	ole32.dll	CLSIDFromProgID + 0xd2	0x7fefe4adc62	C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
    13	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2d2a2e	0x73532a2e	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    14	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x304745	0x73564745	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    15	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2ec010	0x7354c010	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    16	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x21a37a	0x7347a37a	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    17	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x21ba46	0x7347ba46	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    18	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x2217a9	0x734817a9	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    19	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0xc2847	0x73322847	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    20	USER32.dll	UserCallWinProcCheckWow + 0x1ad	0x77a8c3c1	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    21	USER32.dll	DispatchMessageWorker + 0x3b5	0x77a8c60a	C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    22	WLCShell.dll	WLCShell.dll + 0x242fe5	0x734a2fe5	C:\Users\PRabahy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll
    23	kernel32.dll	BaseThreadInitThunk + 0xd	0x77b8f56d	C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    24	ntdll.dll	RtlUserThreadStart + 0x1d	0x77cc3281	C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

I don't know what else to suggest just yet. I don't see any extra drivers or anything 3rd party looking besides the suspicious live mesh registry reads.

Do the other users on this forum thread use Windows Live Mesh by chance?

The other things I see running on your PC are things like NVidia display, Synaptics touch pad, HP LaserJet printer drivers,  Windows Home Server ( I have one too), Mu Torrent, etc, but I don't see that code busy in Explorer when the problem happens.

Thanks for testing again. I'll take a look again tomorrow and see if there is anything else I see.

Thx, Jason

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:07 AM
  • I closed Mu Torrent, Windows Home Server, etc. and the issue remained.

During the uninstall of Live Mesh.  Your desktop and taskbar will restart while Live Mesh is uninstalled.

As soon as I uninstalled, the problem went away. I think it might have been because explorer.exe restarted, not because because I uninstalled Live Mesh.

I reinstalled Live Mesh and the issue did not return. (Reinstallation is easy, automatically detects old settings.)

I'll post back if the issue returns, or let me know if you want another trace.

PRab

Edit: To be clear, the last log I gave had Live Mesh running. I quit it after I made the log.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Jason, do you know or can you get a contact to someone from the Live Mesh team? Maybe they could investigate...
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Do the other users on this forum thread use Windows Live Mesh by chance?

Just a data point:  No I don't use Windows Live Mesh, and I'm not experiencing the problem.

-Noel

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Do the other users on this forum thread use Windows Live Mesh by chance?

Just a data point:  No I don't use Windows Live Mesh, and I'm not experiencing the problem.

-Noel

Same.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I talked with the Windows support team. They have an bug filed for this folder rename problem and are investigating it, optimisitically to be fixed in the first service pack for Win 7, whenever that may be - they couldn't tell me if or when it would be. For tracking, if you need to call support for something urgent related to this issue, the reference number for this problem is (Windows SE 299689)

The gist of the problem is what was explained early in the thread - context menu providers (addins that want to know about new folders and right clicks on files and such) that listen to events this folder rename event, but in this case have a bug or timing issue and don't reply in a timely manner to the explorer, so there are 30 second timeouts in the Explorer shell to wait for replies from those providers. If you have multiple shell menu extensions in this state, it may take multiples of 30 seconds for the requests to time out (2x30=60 sec, 3x30=90 sec).

To isolate the problem, there is the trial & error method to go through the shell extensions and disable them one by one until the problem goes away, as mentions way earlier in this same forum thread. Not fun I know. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Currently, there is no built in diagnostic to describe this kind of timeout in an event log or anything like that. The hope for a fix may be that that should one of the providers become nonresponsive, windows can start ignoring those kinds of event requests from the shell add-ins and only ever hang once for those extensions. The hope is the next time a rename is made after the first 30 second hang, it won't wait on the extension to time out any more because it was remembered that the extension doesn't make a timely reply. Let's wait and see how these machines act after a service pack is available to see if the product team has solved it.

Systematically, besides manually isolating and disabling the shell extensions, I don't think there is anything we can do to fix the problem until the first service pack comes out.

Thanks, Jason

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Thanks for the report Jason. So they don't think it can be related to Live Mesh?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Install the Update KB980408 (The April 2010 stability and reliability update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is available )

This update fixes the following issue:

Windows Explorer may stop responding for 30 seconds when a file or a directory is created or renamed after certain applications are installed.

I think this will solve your issues.

Download:

32Bit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=e4c4711e-95cf-4a1f-b02f-ba5b41660552&displaylang=en

64Bit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=ee73804d-b2c1-436d-9523-77be22331a1b&displaylang=en

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Thanks Andre, this solved the problem for me.

Ed.

Ed Glas [MSFT]
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Hi Ed,

great the the update solves your issue :)

best regards
    André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, May 24, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Worked for me as well - this was a very annoying problem, and I figured it was a Windows 7 'issue', but just patiently waited about 3 minutes each time for the silly cursor to come back.   Now is instant...

Thanks!!

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:01 PM
  • THE PROBLEM

Yes, I'm having the same issue. It's crazily easy to reproduce. I open a program, then create a new file. A FILE SAVE dialog appears, I browse to the location in which I want to create the file, either click the New folder button or right-click to access the context menu, and the dialog will freeze for 30-45 seconds, then go ahead and perform the operation. Same thing if I rename a folder from within the dialog; I can type the new name, but when I hit Enter to accept it, FREEZE!

Also, I use a start menu replacement, and if I drag and drop an item on that menu, up pops a dialog. It just says "Preparing to move", and "from to". If I click the More Info button, there are three lines that say:, time remaining...calculating, items remaining...calculating, and speed 0 items/second. It sits there with a progress bar for 30-45 seconds, after which the you-need-to-be-an-administrator box appears. I click to accept that, and again, 30-45 seconds moving a 1.29KB shortcut file! This doesn't happen if I shut down that start menu replacement and use the standard start menu, but the other issue with dialog boxes in other programs still does.

Finally, if I uninstall a program using an uninstall tool, it can literally take HOURS. What seems to be happening is this same delay thing is happening with each file as it's being deleted. I first noticed this a few weeks ago when I needed to uninstall and reinstall Visual Studio. It took forEVER! I didn't make the connection then, but I think it's the same issue.

THE CONTRAINDICATIONS

This problem started several weeks ago (I have had Win7 64-bit installed since about a week after release, and reloaded it from scratch in late February). I can do all these operations from Windows Explorer (create, rename, delete files and folders), or from another file manager program I use, with no issues at all. It only seems to affect file dialogs and drag & drop via that start menu replacement, and uninstalling SOME, but not all, programs. I never get a "Not Responding" message, things just freeze for a while, ONLY with the dialog currently in use. I can do anything else fine while waiting for this to end.

WHAT I'VE TRIED

I have tried most of the remedies suggested here: playing around with ShellView, installing the KB update (already had it), disabling and/or removing several suspect programs, checked the setting to open Explorer windows in a new process, terminating and restarting the explorer.exe process (that actually worked for about half a day), cleaned and tweaked registry, gone into safe mode and even washed all my underclothes by hand. Nothing has worked!

Now, don't ask me to do a fresh install of Win7, because at this moment I have (literally) over 200 programs installed, and I really don't feel like doing that! Now before you start to think that's the problem, let me tell you why I doubt that. One, before the reinstall I did in February, I had probably 20-30 more program installed than I do right now and the problem didn't exist. Second, I doubt if anyone else having this exact same issue has that many programs installed. Third, I am planning a complete wipe and reload in October anyway (yeah, I have to plan in advance for these kind of things), which I am confident will actually make the problem go away, it's just annoying now!

CONCLUSION

Other than this, my system overall, even in spite of the large number of programs, is very snappy and responsive in every way, except for this issue (and boot up of course, LOL). I'm pretty sure it's something local, but I'm darned if I know what it is! I hope, should the reload NOT fix it, that something in SP1 either fixes it or at least aids in figuring out what the heck it is! In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions that haven't already been beaten down, I'd love to hear them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:22 AM

1.  In an Explorer window, make the Menus visible by clicking Organize - Layout - then checking Menu bar.
    3.  Click the View tab.

As I have always had this setting checked, it may well be why I am not seeing this problem, and the neat thing is there's virtually no downside to this option!

Here's hoping it works for you!  Please let us know if it does!

-Noel

Noel

It works. Thanks a lot for your solution

• Proposed as answer by Cadman001 Monday, September 12, 2011 1:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Cadman001 Monday, September 12, 2011 1:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Chi Town Bob Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:34 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Hi Noel, I tried the workaround above and it worked. New folders are created much faster. The root cause is no doubt a Win7 UI performance issue that should be looked at by Microsoft.

-JTR

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:28 PM
  • That's great news.  Thanks for reporting back!

-Noel

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:40 PM
  • I've had the same slow response problem others described.  Enabling launch as separate process fixed it. 

Thanks!

Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:33 PM
  • To Fix this Problem i add the Key "FileInfoCacheLifetime" with value 1 to Registry. As above:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\FileInfoCacheLifetime = 1
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:54 PM
  • To Fix this Problem i add the Key "FileInfoCacheLifetime" with value 1 to Registry. As above:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\FileInfoCacheLifetime = 1
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:55 PM
  • I just did as explained above by Noel Carboni and it worked.  Thanks!

JDM

1.  In an Explorer window, make the Menus visible by clicking Organize - Layout - then checking Menu bar.
    3.  Click the View tab.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:30 PM
  • /threadnecro

I just recently started having this exact same problem on the machine I've been using at work for almost a year. Haven't installed any new programs, it just showed up out of the blue.

The computer is a Dell workstation with a Xeon X5675 hex-core and 12GB of RAM running Win7-64 Enterprise. Physical memory utilization is stable at around 40%, but the odd thing I've noticed is that when I create or rename a folder and notice the freezing / delay, one of the 6 cores spikes dramatically in usage until the operation completes after a few minutes. The overall CPU usage changes from roughly 5% utilization to over 20% for the duration, which makes sense if one out of six cores (~15%) is hitting the roof. What doesn't make sense is why such a simple operation is causing so much overhead.

I've also noticed the weird refresh issues and delays with deleting folders, and a simply moving a folder up or down a directory - a logical move where no files are actually being copied - takes an inordinate amount of time. I want to reiterate that I've been using this computer for almost a year with none of these issues, they just recently surfaced, and I have not recently installed any new software.

A reboot of the machine will solve the problem for a time, but it resurfaces after a day or so. Due to the nature of the work, it's not practical to continually restart the machine, and a fresh OS install would really not be ideal.

I've tried the solution suggested by Noel to launch folder windows in separate processes, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I also tried installing the update/fix from Microsoft, but received an error saying that it did not apply, I assume because it's included in SP1 which is already installed.

It's been a few years now, is there any more insight into what causes this problem or how to fix it? It's impacting my work fairly significantly, and I'd appreciate any help in getting this figured out.

Addendum: The delays in creating/renaming/deleting/moving happen both on a local disk, and also on server shares across the network. Thus, it does not appear to be the fault of the drive in question.

Friday, July 20, 2012 10:55 PM
  • I am actually having the exact(to the pin point) issue as CKH83. This just started within  a week ago, on my work computer. It takes a drastic amount of time to create/rename/delete folders. Also I find that hitting F5(refresh key) will make the folder show up. My first though was possible virus somehow snuck through our expensive firewall. I ran Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG 2012, and Microsoft Security Essentials. None of which came up with a single thing. Also to note some programs are now taking an extreme amount of time to open, but not all of them. Nothing new has been installed on my work computer accept for recent updates. I actually noticed this issue at first, after I had imported about 115 Pictures off my digital camera. I have ran CHKDSK, HDTUNE Error scanner, and Memtest. No issues detected at all. Also the Microsoft Fix did not work, as "It does not apply to your computer". This system Specs are as follows:

PS. This issue persists in safe mode.

Windows 7 64bit

MSI PH61A-P35

Intel G620

8GB Corsair DDR3 1333

Crucial M4 64GB SSD

XFX Geforce 8800GT

LG DVD Burner

Thermaltake 480w PSU

This issue is making my life at work which evolves around my computer extremely difficult.

• Edited by JmRakas Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:03 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:28 PM
  • As an update: as crazy as this sounds,The issue was being caused by a corrupt DVD in my DVD Burner. I am not sure why that would cause this issue, but it did.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 3:30 PM

-Noel

HEy man! You found my issue!!!!

OK, so i do a lot of work on little black boxes all over the world that have  a static IP connection I use windows to connect to like an network hard drive...

Several of the black boxes I had as networked hard drives have been removed over the years.

I had 5 network folders setup, I deleted 4 that were no longer available... and BOOM problem solved.

I want to guess that the person above that stated that they do not have any of these types of things going on, that they really do, but just don't know it. "scfreak"

Thanks so very much!!!!!!

--Jason

• Edited by Bionic T db Friday, March 01, 2013 3:38 PM added person who was having simmiliar issue, but said they had none of these issues.
    Friday, March 01, 2013 3:37 PM

-Noel

Arise, ancient thread!

Ran into the exact problem and fought it for a day or two until I found this answer.  Solved the problem immediately.

In my case, I'd mapped a wireless device as a folder for network transfer and left it mapped.  Once I removed that drive, new folder/rename folder immediately started working as normal.

Thanks, Noel!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:51 PM
  • You're welcome.  :)

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:54 AM
  • Extremely USEFUL! But why this caused lagging?? Microsoft should fix this issue. Those stuff are useful for transferring files between Hyper-V Gusts & Host for me.

I am Running Windows 8.1 Pro and it still has this issue unsolved.

Actually and unfortunately, this makes me changed my mind to start using VMWare.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:13 AM