none
Archive folder disappearing in Outlook 2010

Question

• Hi

I have lost two years worth of work emails. I grouped all my archives into one file. These are the things I did and I am not sure which one caused the disappearance:  I grouped all condensed files into one file then tried to archive it. I was prompted to 'browse' for a file to save it to and I changed the archive pst name into another one. Then this appeared on the left in OUtlook. I then pressed 'close' archive. It then disappeared...I have been on a 2 hour call with our tech support (I work for a huge co) and nothing. Strangely enough the C: capacity has not changed, ie they should be in my machine. I searched for them, and initially the were located with (!) no file path and 'unopenable'. After a while those search results disappeared too! How can this be possible?

Thanks!

AK

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, the archive  folder disappeared from the Folder Pane on the left of Outlook, and you could not find Archive PST file on your local drive. Feel free to let me know if I have misunderstood the issue.

Just check if the archive folder is open in Outlook:

• Open Outlook.
    • Click on File< Account Settings< Data Files tab.
    • Under Data Files tab check if archive PST file is opened.

If the archive file is not open in Outlook:

Click the File tab. Click Open. Click Open Outlook Data File, and then browse to open the archive file. Now you could see Archives folder in the Navigation Pane.

You could also find the archive file in the following location in your computer:

• Windows 7 and Windows Vista     drive:\Users\user\Documents\Outlook Files\archive.pst
    • Windows XP    drive:\Documents and Settings\user \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst

More details please refer to:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/outlook-help/open-and-find-items-in-an-archive-outlook-data-file-pst-HA010356517.aspx?CTT=1

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thursday, August 08, 2013 8:12 AM