none
flash player not working in Windows 8

Question

• I have a few applications that require flash player to be installed. They were working up till a month or so ago. Now when i try to run them it says flash is not installed. When I go into Internet Explorer and go to adobe's website, it shows i don't have flash player installed, nor will any flash apps work in IE.

I followed their guide of uninstalling and re installing but the KB they ask me to uninstall doesn't exist, when i try to download the installer it says its not compatible with my OS.

Anyone know how to re-install Flash for windows 8?

PS: Flash works with Chrome using their build in flash player.

Brad Nelson MCSE/DCSE/A+/Network+/WCSP

Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:33 AM

Answers

• Hi, try the following procedure:

1. Get all installed update packages on your system

DISM.exe > %temp%\packages.txt /online /get-packages && notepad %temp%\packages.txt

2. Locate the Flash player's package in the opened list of installed packages, you would need:

Package Identity : Package_for_KB2758994~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0

3. Remove the package from your PC:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2758994~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0 > %temp%\flashpackage.txt && notepad %temp%\flashpackage.txt

NOTE: To be able to use the DISM tool, you would need to download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows® 8

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:18 PM

All replies

• Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:11 AM
  • Tried downloading that and got : "the update is not applicable to your computer."

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:27 AM
  • tried installing the 64bit version (im running win8 64) and got the message

"update for windows kb22796096 is already installed on this computer"

One a side note: if i go to Programs and featuers > installed updates , there is no KB  listed as KB22796096

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Yep, already checked that out. Its listed and its enabled. Tried everything on that page.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:35 AM
  • nope, shows an X in the browser. Like i said any flash website isn't working, and my flash applications aren't working therefore the built-in flash player is broke. And I cant seem to fix it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

This article may helpful to you:

How do I install Flash Player on Windows 8?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4814662

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Hi, try the following procedure:

1. Get all installed update packages on your system

DISM.exe > %temp%\packages.txt /online /get-packages && notepad %temp%\packages.txt

2. Locate the Flash player's package in the opened list of installed packages, you would need:

Package Identity : Package_for_KB2758994~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0

3. Remove the package from your PC:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2758994~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0 > %temp%\flashpackage.txt && notepad %temp%\flashpackage.txt

NOTE: To be able to use the DISM tool, you would need to download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows® 8

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Hi, Max,

Yeah, that's the option, although I don't think it's necessary to download and extract CAB to remove an already installed package. Still this is the option, although it requires extra steps like downloading and unpacking the update package (MSU). At the other hand, it allows to install the package anew once it's been removed:

dism /online /add-package /packagepath:Windows8-RT-KB2796096-x64.cab

There's a nice article explaining how you could install a update package using DISM: How to use DISM to install a hotfix from within Windows

E.H.

P.S.: Yeah, you've missed the dash. )

• Proposed as answer by Exotic Hadron Monday, January 28, 2013 9:14 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Thanks, Max; I guess you're pretty right, DISM hardly would remove a corrupt package; anyways, having an alternative option is always a good thing.

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:58 PM
  • Try: Flash Player Help

Carey Frisch

Ahem.  Carey, did you bother to read my earlier post here?

That would have been courteous.

Or perhaps you did, and that's where you got that link from.  Ahem.

Your point being that Carey posted a link to the site you already linked to, without mentioning that it came from you? I think that's a legitimate "jab". 

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:21 AM
  • My reply was posted at 5:43 AM as was "Mustafa Alces'" post.  It appears to have been a "tie post" time wise which sometimes happens.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:40 AM