none
cant change desktop background

Question

• i upgraded to windows 7 home premium and it still wont let me change the desktop background. is there a reason why?
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 7:40 AM

Answers

• Windows 7 starter hasn’t the function to change background. Please verify you have success updating to Windows 7.

Please go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

and check if any wallpaper related value is available. If so, please delete it. (NOTE: Please backup registry before deleting)

Furthermore, delete the file %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg  for test.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:45 AM

All replies

• Is the option to change background missing? Any error message? What was your previous operating system?

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert Consumer | http://blogs.msmvps.com/dmartin/ | http://www.wintecnico.com

Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

There’s similar thread you can refer:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/cannot-change-desktop-background-in-windows-7-home/01494bc9-d184-4b64-9a93-4f0c7dd70d13

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:56 AM
  • no its there, it just doesn't change. i just had windows 7 starter but ill go into control panel to change desktop back ground and apply the picture i want and it just isn't work. no error messages or anything pop up. it just doesn't change
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:56 AM
  • Windows 7 starter hasn’t the function to change background. Please verify you have success updating to Windows 7.

Please go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

and check if any wallpaper related value is available. If so, please delete it. (NOTE: Please backup registry before deleting)

Furthermore, delete the file %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg  for test.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:45 AM