none
Script Error with WMP 12

Question

• Hello

Using WMP 12 on Windows 7 Home

Everything has been fine with WMP. I often use the album/track infomation thru fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com. SUDDENLY, I am getting a script error when attempting to load album/track information:

An error has occurred in the script on this page

Line: 240

Character: 25

Error: Object expected

Code: 0

URL: http://fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com/FAI/AlbumMatch.aspx?locale=409&geoid=f4&version=12.0.7601.17514&userlocale=409&requestid=830A4FFD-F3A3-4AD9-A1FA-390A48236E10

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes or No.

Regardless of what I click, I get this script error, and cannot load any album info. I find the album/track info, but I cannot load it into WMP. If I click yes or no, I still can't load the album/track info. I have to cancel out of the album info.

What is this? Why is this happening? How do I correct this so it stops? I use the album info a lot from fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com.

Thanks

TubularBell

• Edited by TubularBell Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:56 PM

Answers

• Had the same problem, resolved it by:

1. Closing WMP
    2. Deleting temporary internet files in Internet Explorer.
    3. Restarting WMP

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:52 AM

All replies

• Had the same problem, resolved it by:

1. Closing WMP
    2. Deleting temporary internet files in Internet Explorer.
    3. Restarting WMP

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

Additional to Richard, please reset IE and add http://fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com into trusts sites from Internet Option, Content tab.

If the issue persists, please try to reinstall Windows Media Player 12.

1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".

2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".

3. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.

4. Restart the computer

5. Go the check the mark in front of Windows Media Player to reinstall it.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 9:53 AM
  • I am getting the similarerror quoted above. Niki Han's suggested "Trusted" site addition and Media Player reinstall did not correct.

Line: 373

Error: "The value of the property 'btnFinish_onclick' is undefined or null, not a function  object"   .       When the option to continue running the script is selected ... no change in behaviour.

It is worth noting that AUTOMATIC media updates work no problem. It is only the manually started "Find Album Info" that fails apparently becuase of the unhandled click event on the confirmation.

• Edited by ParkerV Friday, September 30, 2011 4:02 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:23 PM
  • ParkerV: you can try clearing Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files and Cookies, as suggested by Richard.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:23 PM
  • I had the same irritating problem, dumped my temp files and problem is fixed.  Thanks Tim & Richard.
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Hi-

I still do have this irritating problem, but dumping my temp files, adding the fai. information to Trusted Sites, and resetting IE (actually I upgraded to IE9) didn't fix anything for me.

My problem is exactly like ParkerV above, but with Line 240 instead of Line 373. The script error dialog box gives options of "yes" or "no" for continuing to run the script, but whichever I choose, I still get the error, so "cancel" is my only real option.

Does this mean that I'll have to reinstall MP12, or can anyone suggest any other fix that won't be quite such a hassle (I've got around 40GB of music, it takes a long time to get that all re-sorted.)

Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

Eskyman

Sunday, October 02, 2011 7:07 PM
  • I am getting the similarerror quoted above. Niki Han's suggested "Trusted" site addition and Media Player reinstall did not correct.

Line: 373

Error: "The value of the property 'btnFinish_onclick' is undefined or null, not a function  object"   .       When the option to continue running the script is selected ... no change in behaviour.

It is worth noting that AUTOMATIC media updates work no problem. It is only the manually started "Find Album Info" that fails apparently becuase of the unhandled click event on the confirmation.

I have this issue also.

As suggested I tried the Automatic media update, puts the info into WMP but does not correct the folder or files, not sure if this is normal or expected as I usually only use manual.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Yes - I also have the problem on line 240 - same as Eskyman

I have cleared temporary files with no success.

I am also very reluctant to reinstall WMP12 which is actually a huge job when you have a large library. I have just recently managed to get it all in order, with the correct album art.

Please help!!

Borisina52

• Edited by Borisina52 Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:50 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Thanks for that information, Little Sheep. Unfortunately refreshing (twice) didn't fix it for me.

Any more ideas out there??

Borisina52

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:41 AM
  • there is only one solution I found: reinstall Windows using the repair option

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

this way you don't loose anything and Media Player works fine

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:16 AM
  • I have cleared temporary files with no success.

Borisina52: did you clear Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files? Please note that there's a difference with the temporary files of Windows itself. The following article explains how to clear IE's Temporary Internet Files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897

Also make sure that you clear IE's Cookies.

Tim De Baets
    Friday, October 07, 2011 1:52 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as everyone else with the script error. Tried deleting temporary files with no sucess. Tried a second time and restarted the computer and the scrip error didn't appear and the album search was working. Hope something works for you,the fia saves a lot of time.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Hey. Just figured out how to fix my problem. I downloaded this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897

From the microsoft site.It found an error in my Internet Explorer. Fixed it and now media player is behaving again.

Good luck

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:09 AM
  • OK, I have been workin on this issue for about 2 weeks now with zero progress.  I have the version of this script error that says the problem is at Line: 373 and Char: 25 but otherwise identical to the other reports above.

I have tried every troubleshooting step listed here and many others from other forums with zero improvement.

This is a fresh new install of Windows 7 and the only software that's loaded on this machine besides every one of the available Microsoft Updates is the basics like Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash Player and Quicktime ... this machine is a Home Theater PC and basically has no purpose other than to play media with Media Center.

So, I basically installed Windows 7, allowed it to download every available update and then started moving music folders to the My Music directory.  Media Player seemed to work fine at first and all of my music directories were automatically added to the media library with art and info, no problem.  Then I ripped a few new discs to add to my music library, still no problem until I ripped one CD that for some reason didn't automatically identify the metadata.  Seemed strange because it was a standard version of a popular CD, but no problem I just manually tried to "Find Album Info"... still no problem, I found the album right away, the track list all lined up fine, all the way till I hit "Finish" and then the Script Error.

I've cleared all temporary internet files, stopped the Media Player network sharing service, rebuilt the media library, deleted the library and started over again, added the metaservices.microsoft.com path to my Trusted sites, uninstalled Media Player and reinstalled it, refreshed the album information, I even did a Restore on my Window 7 operating system since this was basically a new install anyway and it is still broken.

This little Script Error is the sort of thing that makes average users switch to iTunes and forsake Microsoft products!  Need a solution to this monumental disappointment.... I'm already to the point where I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with Microsoft products and I am extremely careful about every driver or program that touches any of the 8 PC's that are networked in my home.  I've already accepted the fact that Microsoft products are terribly intollerant of other software vendors and I stick with tried and true drivers in an effort to keep my machines reliable, which is priority #1 for me.  Cases like this one show that Microsoft products aren't even reliable by themselves.

It might be a LITTLE script error, but it is a big pain for thousands of users who have to waste their time to fix it.

Help!

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:00 AM
  • I had this problem for a day in late September. It went away. NOW IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN! 11/09/11

I've done EVERYTHING suggested here with the exception of uninstalling WMP 12 and reinstalling. I have hit the globe in the upper left of album information SEVERAL TIMES to reset, I have done the command prompt, I have gone to settings in Windows Media Center and selected my music folder as another user has suggested, I have cleared the temp internet files, closed media player, restarted the computer several times.

NOTHING IS WORKING TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE. I am really getting pissed off. What the **** is happening? I need it corrected NOW!

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:32 PM
  • If you still get the script error then I suggest that you try resetting IE's settings (make sure that WMP is closed first). Then, just to be sure, clear IE's Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History once more and only then restart WMP.

If that still doesn't help, then please report back the language that is set in Control Panel - Region and Language - Formats.

Tim De Baets
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Niki, what if u can't get the features to show u the options so u can't turn it off, even when ur signed in as Admin???
    Friday, October 26, 2012 8:56 PM