none
Windows 7 64-bit bug code USB driver BSOD (Asus N61JQ)

Question

• Hey all,
    For a long time now I am getting BSOD errors even after a full system recovery. I did look all over the internet, but didnt really find the answer for my problem. 
    The problem mostly starts after I used the computer for a long time with no restart (lets say 24h), at that time I am browsing the web, chatting on skype, youtube, music, photoshop... and most of the time i leave my browser minimized, but with all the pages open. And then at some point when I open the browser after some time, press play, or searching for a page, i get a BSOD. Mostly its when i am browsing youtube, or something like that.. 
    Updating BIOS didnt help so far for my laptop, and anything else i updated so far didnt help.

My computer is:
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.        
    System Model: N61Jq
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    HDD: 500gb
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    GPU card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
    ------------------

When the computer goes to BSOD, on the screen i get an error saying something about USB bug core driver error.

This is what I get after computer restarts:

-----------------
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
      OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 1063

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode: fe
      BCP1: 0000000000000008
      BCP2: 0000000000000006
      BCP3: 0000000000000005
      BCP4: FFFFFA80069E3B20
      OS Version: 6_1_7600
      Service Pack: 0_0
      Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\081910-23790-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-71339-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    -----------------

I dont really know whats the problem, but I was thinking maybe its because of DAEMON TOOLS, or some device not installed properly, or maybe 3D graphics could be the problem or something when u watch movies and stuff...
    Hope you will finally find a fix for this problem.

Thank you for your time.
    • Edited by A.J.lex Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:12 PM error
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi A.J.lex,

You can perform Last Known Good Configuration if the issue first occurred recently.

Also, does the issue still exists after updating all the device drivers and installing all the Windows updates? If so, try the steps below and see if the issue can be resolved:

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, let's move on:

Please unplug all unnecessary devices and then perform the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

If the issue still exists, please understand that to solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Also, you can analyze the small memory dump files yourself. For more information about how to do this, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 27, 2010 2:00 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 5:15 AM

All replies

• 1: 0000000000000008 = USB port Timeout issue. Which USB devices do you use?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Well... almost none.
    Sometimes a flash stick or a portable HDD to copy some files.
    An Asus ( aka Logitech) mouse that came with the laptop.
    Um, and sometimes i connect my phone as a mass storage device or as a modem (as a modem i didnt use it since last recovery, tho the PC automatically installed Samsung Modem, its a kinda old phone already. thinking of deleting the modem drivers just in case.) 
    And thats about it.. The PC got an USB 3.0 connection, E-SATA, but I dont use them atm, sometimes i plug in a Micro SD card. Thats all.
    So mostly its my mouse thats plugged in to a USB. 

And thanks for responding so fast.

BTW, could the problem also be "USB selective suspend setting" in Power Options?
    • Edited by A.J.lex Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:59 PM update
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Change the settings. Can you also upload the dmp files please?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:20 PM
  • Ok, hope its the one you need. Didnt search for dmp files before. 

http://cid-f004b70eae2f322b.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Documents

Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:54 PM
  • the dump is not really usefull.

Arg1: 0000000000000008, USBBUGCODE_RESERVED_USBHUB
    Arg2: 0000000000000006, USBHUB_TRAP_FATAL_TIMEOUT
    Arg3: 0000000000000005, TimeoutCode: Timeout_PCE_Suspend_Action3 - PortData->PortSuspendEvent
    Arg4: fffffa80069e3b20, TimeoutContext - PortData

You should contact the MS and ASUS support.

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:03 AM
  • So that means no easy fix? 

And can I get the precise links for the contacts? 

Well thanks for your time, and lets hope the updates and all the stuff I did to his machine will help in the end. 
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:11 AM
  • And can I get the precise links for the contacts? 
    http://support.microsoft.com/gethelp/default.aspx?content=ph;en-us;14019

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Hello one more time.. 
    Today I had a BSOD again, but this time it was different. 
    The error mentions something about "kernel memory dump" on the blue screen. 

Before that happen, th laptop was working all night, in the morning i woke up, started to chat in skype (i had a lot of google chrome explorer windows open), and when i turned on winamp, the PC in about 2 min time freezed, and then in about 3 min there was this loud lag sound, after which the BSOD followed.

Hope this dub file will show you thats something wrong.

http://cid-f004b70eae2f322b.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Documents?uc=1

And btw, I checked my PC with RegCure, and he didnt show any errors.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 11:12 AM
  • You've uploaded the same dmp again.

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:05 PM
  • somehow there is no other dmp.. strange. 
    Guess I will have to stress the PC till i get the BSOD again.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Hi A.J.lex,

You can perform Last Known Good Configuration if the issue first occurred recently.

Also, does the issue still exists after updating all the device drivers and installing all the Windows updates? If so, try the steps below and see if the issue can be resolved:

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, let's move on:

Please unplug all unnecessary devices and then perform the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

If the issue still exists, please understand that to solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Also, you can analyze the small memory dump files yourself. For more information about how to do this, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 27, 2010 2:00 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 5:15 AM
  • A.J. Lex, I have had about 3 or 4 BSODs with similar symptoms leading up the the BSOD as you describe - laptop running for a while with hibernate/restarts, and I open firefox (with several tabs) and open a new tab to youtube. I'm running Win7 64 bit (6.1 build 7601) on an ASUS N61JQ laptop.

Here's NirSoft's: bluescreenview output:

Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Caused By Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Crash Address Stack Address 1 Stack Address 2 Stack Address 3 Computer Name Full Path Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size
    060211-21122-01.dmp 02/06/2011 00:53:17   0x00000116 fffffa80`043560f0 fffff880`04a0fdcc 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000002 dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d000         x64 ntoskrnl.exe+7fd00         C:\Windows\Minidump\060211-21122-01.dmp 8 15 7601 373,248

Filename Address In Stack From Address To Address Size Time Stamp Time String
    atikmpag.sys atikmpag.sys+6dcc fffff880`04a09000 fffff880`04a50000 0x00047000 0x4c58bf41 04/08/2010 02:15:45
    dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d000 fffff880`04a50000 fffff880`04b44000 0x000f4000 0x4ce799fa 20/11/2010 10:50:50
    dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+ff07 fffff880`05200000 fffff880`05246000 0x00046000 0x4ce799c1 20/11/2010 10:49:53

I have a feeling my BSOD is graphics card related, so I updated the drivers, I haven't seen the issue again yet, so I don't know if it worked. Have you any progress to report on your own issues?

Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hiya,

I've got a near similar issue with my Asus N53Jq (64 bit, windows home premium, sp1, 16GB RAM), with it blowing up to BSOD's mentioning either usb_bugcode_driver and restarting within a few seconds or not even showing a BSOD or locking up to a black screen requiring a manual restart.

Windows shows me this message after the restart:

roblem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:    fe
      BCP1:    0000000000000008
      BCP2:    0000000000000006
      BCP3:    0000000000000005
      BCP4:    FFFFFA800E188B20
      OS Version:    6_1_7601
      Service Pack:    1_0
      Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\020912-55005-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Rabhin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-97001-0.sysdata.xml

click links to continue to files

I'm hoping you can help me solve this issue.

From a practical point of view:

This issue occurs regardless of usb devices being attached or not. Just like the OP I've got 1 USB 3.0, 1 E-Sata and 2 USB 2.x ports.

In my device management there are no connections showing to my keyboard, touchpad, soundcard or otherwise, when looking under the USB controller bit.

No drivers seem to be out of date as far as I can tell.

If you'd like me to make a snapshot, use diagnostic software or anything else, please don't hesitate to tell me, I'm very much willing to solve this issue without having to hand over my notebook for weeks on end to Asus, as the repair-centre usually manages to take weeks to get parts etc. on-site. :(

BTW: it's not an overheating issue either as the notebook is being cleaned professionally every three months by the retail shop I bought it at as part of the service package. Neither is it a wireless/bluetooth issue with ext. hdd's appearing/disappearing, it happens irrespective of environment and proximity / availability of such devices. Lastly: power is neither the obvious issue: happens on battery as well, in other environments, behind UPS etc. etc..

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Kind regards, Monsterbeertje

Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Well, two years have passed since the first usb bugcode occured... and i think i find the solution... or maybe, the cause of the problem... i think that the problem is produced by the screen-webcam. When you open the screen (90º) you can hear the sound of USB-connected / USB-disconnected, not very normal... i have tested that BSOD never happened when the screen is positioned at 110 grades or 80º. Ok, if webcam is the problem, what can we do?, first go to: "control panel" -> hardware -> "device administrator" (administrador de dispisitivos in spanish).

Here, desactivate (not uninstall) webcam-usb drivers and " Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series chipset family USB enchanced host controller - 3B3C ".

I think this can solve this horrible problem, asus technical departament only says "reinstall windows", but 0 help...

Hope i can help, sorry for my bad english (im from spain), have a nice day/night :)

PD: Same laptop N61JQ

• Proposed as answer by retamal1990 Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:25 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:36 PM