none
Picasa3 Freezes During Scan

Question

• I installed Picasa3 on my win7 beta, and everything works fine except when it starts scanning a large number of photos on another ntfs partition on my hard disk (my xp partition, in a dual boot configuration). It freezes the machine solid - no mouse movements, no ctrl-alt-del response - but the disk keeps whirring away as if it were scanning everything. 
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

• A lot of problems are currently present in Picasa 3, you can check the different fora of Picasa / Google for more information.
    Amongst them are freezing of the software at start-up, loss of the database (all pictures are re-scanned after starting the program), broken thumbnails, etc. It happens with Windows XP as well as with Vista, so the chance that it will show up in 7 beta is highly predictable.
    I advice you to start with Picasa 2,7 which you still can download.
    I have installed that version and it runs without any problems (so far) in Windows 7 (I did not use the XP or Vista compatibility mode).
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:26 PM

All replies

• You might have to run it in Vista Compatibility Mode.  It could also be that it needs to be updated to work on Windows 7.  As Google's Chrome is not working in Windows 7 64 Bit for some people.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Now that you mention that, I think Picasa did freeze a bit while scanning really 38.500 pictures on my external drive. I don't remember but I think it was like 3 minuts or so.

I'm scanning it again and no problems so far.

Adelino Araujo
    Friday, January 16, 2009 7:52 PM
  • A lot of problems are currently present in Picasa 3, you can check the different fora of Picasa / Google for more information.
    Amongst them are freezing of the software at start-up, loss of the database (all pictures are re-scanned after starting the program), broken thumbnails, etc. It happens with Windows XP as well as with Vista, so the chance that it will show up in 7 beta is highly predictable.
    I advice you to start with Picasa 2,7 which you still can download.
    I have installed that version and it runs without any problems (so far) in Windows 7 (I did not use the XP or Vista compatibility mode).
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:26 PM