none
How to rename a default user directory after changing computer name?

Question

• I just renamed my PC and would like to rename the default user folder to match the name.  Is there an easy way to do so?  There is no option to rename the folder.  Please advise.  This is causing conflicts with my printing/scanning ability through our network.

Thanks.

• Edited by mellefs Friday, October 07, 2011 1:56 AM
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can change your user name, but it is hard to change the user profile folder name. If you want to change it indeed, I suggest you could create a new user profile to match your computer name.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can change your user name, but it is hard to change the user profile folder name. If you want to change it indeed, I suggest you could create a new user profile to match your computer name.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Which folder specifically are you referring to when you say "default user folder"?

Can you explain how/why the folder name is causing issues for printing and scanning?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hi I have the same problem. I just bought a floor model Lenovo and The Geek who set it up (Best Buy) spelled the name wrong - the PC, the user account, and the c:\user\xxx  folder are all spelled wrong. the users folder is also locked and the folder and all files are set to read only. One thing at a time. I changed the PC name and the user account name (part of it, anyway) How to change the user folder name so the paths are correct? There is no option under properties for renaming this folder. Thanks guys -  the Geek doesn't know and said he'd have to charge me to find out (this is an effective way to get rid of customers). Also this is the 2nd rebuild (first time they actually did not do a rebuild, just washed the laptop off) and they  won't do reload the OS again.  
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:54 AM
  • What you are seeing is the default behavior. Regardless of the name change,
    it's almost impossible to change all of the thousands of registry entries,
    folders, and other pointers that are associated with a users account name.

The only solution is to create a new user account, copy all of the folder
    and settings to the new user account, and then deleate the original account.

Cordialement, Met vriendelijke groeten, Gokan Ozcifci - SharePoint Infrastructure Consultant ( wants to be microsoft community contributor )
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Rename User Folder in Windows 7 Step-by-step:

• First of all change your user account name by accessing the Control panel. Click Start Menu then Control Panel.
    • On the Control Panel Windows click on user account name link
    • Type in your new user account on the box bellow your profile picture and then click on the “Change Name” Button
    • The next step would be to change your folder profile. First of all you need to create a new account with administrator rights to execute the next steps. This new account is  only needed to change the folder profile name. You may remove this account after you use it to change the folder profile name. To create a new account click Manage Another Account > Create a new Account

Type in the new account. Make sure you assign  “Administrator” right  for this new account. 

• Log off your computer and then log in with the newly-created account
    • Open Windows Explorer and then navigate to C:\users
    • Right click on the folder you want to rename and change it to the same name as your new  user profile with which you log in to your Windows 7
    • At this point you have successfully renamed your Windows 7 user folder but to avoid possible error you need to perform a registry edit. Go to registry editor by typing “Registry” (without quote) in Start Menu. Navigate to the following registry value:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList .
    • Righ click on the profile list and navigate to  “Find” Menu
    • Type in your old user in the search box and then hit ‘Find Next”.  Navigate to the “ProfileImagePath” located on the right pane of the registry editor and click twice on it
    • Edit  the registry value to rename it to your new user profile.

• Done 
    • Proposed as answer by danomania1 Monday, June 18, 2012 6:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:54 AM

• First of all change your user account name by accessing the Control panel. Click Start Menu then Control Panel.
    • Type in your new user account on the box bellow your profile picture and then click on the “Change Name” Button
    • The next step would be to change your folder profile. First of all you need to create a new account with administrator rights to execute the next steps. This new account is  only needed to change the folder profile name. You may remove this account after you use it to change the folder profile name. To create a new account click Manage Another Account > Create a new Account

Type in the new account. Make sure you assign  “Administrator” right  for this new account. 

• Right click on the folder you want to rename and change it to the same name as your new  user profile with which you log in to your Windows 7
    • At this point you have successfully renamed your Windows 7 user folder but to avoid possible error you need to perform a registry edit. Go to registry editor by typing “Registry” (without quote) in Start Menu. Navigate to the following registry value:
    • Type in your old user in the search box and then hit ‘Find Next”.  Navigate to the “ProfileImagePath” located on the right pane of the registry editor and click twice on it

• Done 
    • Proposed as answer by BSab Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by BSab Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:55 AM

• Done 

No matter who I log in as, I can not edit the name of my original account folder. It says that the file/folder is in use by another program. I even tried an elevated command prompt window and that just says Access Denied.

Edit: It's the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service that is locking it, I'll just stop that service temporarily.

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Mother Board | 6 gig DDR3 1600 RAM | 2x 500g SATA2 HDD | Integrated sound | Gainward Geforce GTX 560Ti "Phantom 2" 2048MB PCI-E (latest drivers) | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case.

• Edited by Franpa_999 Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:51 PM

• Done 

I just wanted to confirm that this method worked perfectly for me.  Thanks so much for the help.

I also wanted to add that based on Franpa_999's experience it seems like it would be a good idea to reboot into safe mode to do the actual renaming part.  That way there shouldn't be any services or programs using the folder while you're trying to rename it.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:18 AM
  • It ws just that one particular service that was causing the problem, I had no need to reboot in to safe mode :)

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Mother Board | 6 gig DDR3 1600 RAM | 2x 500g SATA2 HDD | Integrated sound | Gainward Geforce GTX 560Ti "Phantom 2" 2048MB PCI-E (latest drivers) | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:10 AM
  • I turned this into a WIKI article, with the precise steps mentioned here - I gave credit to this thread and the people here. Thanks, these processed worked wonderfully for me! In this iteration, I was able to boil it down to 9 steps, first booting into 'safe mode.' Check it out here:

Wiki to Rename Windows 7 User Profile Folder

Jeff

tnjman

Monday, September 23, 2013 1:50 PM