none
Various issues with Windows 7 on an Asus P4P800E-Deluxe..

General discussion

• I installed Windows 7 on my living room pc.  Granted, it is an older P4, but with XP pro it works great - it's a P4 3.2Ghz, 3 gigs of ram.  AGP based with an Asus EAH 3650 card with 512 mb. It runs HD DVD and Blu-ray discs with no problems on a LG GGCH20L drive.  The video is output via a dvi to hdmi cable to a 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP rear projection television.  Audio out via optical cable to a Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver.  Issues with Windows 7:

No support for the Promise SATA 378TX2 plus raid controller - two out of the three drives in this system are not recognized.  I was able to install the Promise drivers, and got a code 10 error - the device could not start.  Bummer.  Has anyone gotten this to work in Windows 7? 

Problems with the Realtek onboard sound - the Dolby Digital and DTS tests work fine via the spdif output to my receiver, but that's about it.  Pop a dvd in, plays in Media Player, but no sound.

Windows 7 did not properly detect my video card - was detected as a ATI Atom with 16 mb of ram.  I was able to install some beta drivers from ATI for the Radeon 3600 series that worked.  But with the Aero effects running, I had frequent lockups when accessing the dialog box for the sound properties of the Realtek on board sound chip.  Had to go to the Windows classic desktop in order to change properties.

I've seen some posts that say if you are too cheap to upgrade your components, then you should not install Windows 7.  That's silly.  This system is not that old and is working fine with XP. I would guess that there are quite a number of us with this motherboard who are having the same issues - and with no driver support from Asus or Promise  I think I'll stick with XP for a while longer. 

Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:13 PM

All replies

• My P4P800 is AGP, did you use the hotfix drivers at http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx , as for the others, I advise first searching for the drivers at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx , you can search by model name and number or better yet, by Hardware ID, I suggest first the complete hardware ID, if no results try truncating the Hardware ID at &SUBSYS, the drivers are often quite general and are more likely to show up then. That site states whether each driver is Win7 compatable, however it doesn't say whether they are 64, 32 bit or both so if there is two drivers with the same date and version, one is likely 32 the other 64 bit.. Download and extract with any utility for extracting *.cab files, if not setup executable you may have to install through device manager
    Hope that helps
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hi Shakeyplace:

I just used the specific Windows 7 drivers, not the hotfix.  My main beef is with the Promise controller drivers.  Thanks for responding.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Don't hold out much hope, I have some Promise cards and they are slow if never
    to provide new drivers. So if there are no Vista drivers available it's a good bet none
    will be available for Windows 7.
    JS
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I have this same MB with P4 2.66, 2g ram, ATI Radeon 9200 and XP Prof. (It is not the system I am using to test W7rc). I tried to install Vista Home Prem last year, which installed and ran OK, but I lost all use of the onboard Promise 378 features(which I need to run one of the hard drive connections) and some of the onboard audio features. I searched for Vista drivers and learned that Asus, Promise and Microsoft do not support 478 socket MBs made by Asus, so it was back to XP($180.now sitting in a CD case). This my oldest system, but it's not THAT old and works great with XP. I wonder if Asus just wants to sell us more 775 and 1366 MBs(how much longer will they support 775s?). 
    I hope that the scuttlebut about 7 being a more compatable product as an XP upgrade than Vista was, will come about with better driver update support.  

Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I have this board as well and when Vista came out, ASUS said it would not be supporting the board for Vista so I know no support will be offered for Windows 7.
     I managed to get the XP drivers to function for the Promise controller in Vista but not for the Intel in IDE mode.  I always had trouble with my ATI X800XL (AGP) in Vista and none of the ATI drivers were 100% functional, BSOD's in Google earth, DVD playback and WMC.

This system works great in XP and that was there era it was designed in. It is old by computer standards.

I have managed to install Windows 7 on it using the PATA controller, however, but the Promise controller and the Intel Sata controllers do not work properly. The ATI
     X800XL works okay for most normal uses but freezes the system during graphic intensive applications.

It is really up to the Hardware manufacturers to provide driver support not Microsoft and I doubt there is any motivation to do so for equipment this old.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Hello,

I have installed Win 7 RC on MSI K7N2G (Socket A, AGP 8x, Promise SATA 376 Raid controller). My config is similar from yours, but it's a AMD Barton 2500+ (Socket A), 1,5 Gb of Ram, AGP Based with an Asus EAH 3650, 2 IDE Drive (80 + 160 Gb), 1 IDE DVD-Drive and 1 Sata (250 Gb).

I trying installation of Win 7 to my SATA, that's impossible, unable to use any sata driver... But to an IDE Drive, no problems found.

So, win 7 is installed, i trying to install the drivers of the Promise SATA 376 with the Win 2003 sata drivers found on my BotherBoard CD from "Device Manager", and it's work fine.
    For the EAH3650, i use the Windows Vista drivers dowloaded from http://support.asus.com/, Aero works fine, no bug found or crash at the moment.
    I trying the beta drivers delivred from ATI (hotfix) is so buggy, a lot of BSOD black screen when i use Aero, system unstable.

Excuse me for my english, i'm french ^^'
    • Edited by Vince_02 Friday, May 15, 2009 10:04 AM correction
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Hello,

I have this same MB (P4P800-E Deluxe) with P4 3.0Ghz, 3 GB RAM, nVidia FX 5900GT VIVO 128MB 128bit, 2 x 500 GB Seagate & 1 x 250 GB WD HDDs and XP Prof.
    And additional PCI card: Realtek RTL8139 LAN & ASUS Wifi.

I tried to install Windos 7 RC Ultimate last weak.
    On first start my PC stop and not start, but next start :) run successfully.

I have no time to test more issues, but now I want to share my resolve for onboard Promise 378.
    I found some drivers and W7 recognize the Promise 378 successfully

:download from here:

!!! Use the drivers in ATA folder !!!

Good luck and I hope to share your experience with windows 7 and P4-p800

Excuse me for my bad english, I'm bulgarian
    • Edited by webLint Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:33 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Hello,

I have this same MB (P4P800-E Deluxe) with P4 3.0Ghz OC to 3.4, 4 GB RAM, Sapphire HD3850 512M, 4 x 250 GB WD (2HDD Promise Raid 1) (2 Intel Raid 0) XP PRO FR
    And additional PCI card: Creative XFi Elite

I tried to install Windows 7 RC
    The first time everything was OK but i tried a virtual CD-ROM software and W7 Crashed at every start. I Let my old machine alone some time. When i try to reinstall W7 I was unable to boot after the final setup during the installation. I don't know what went Wrong the first day  :) for finishing installation so flawlessly. Now i have 6-7 attempt without success. 

Next time I will try with a IDE Device

Goodluck thanks for the advices!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 2:07 AM
  • ...I tried to install Windows 7 RC
    The first time everything was OK but i tried a virtual CD-ROM software and W7 Crashed at every start. I Let my old machine alone some time. When i try to reinstall W7 I was unable to boot after the final setup during the installation. I don't know what went Wrong the first day  :) for finishing installation so flawlessly. Now i have 6-7 attempt without success. ...
    Hello,

check and try these bios changes:

<Advanced><JumperFree Configuration>
                                           <AI Overclock Tuner>[Standart]
                                           <Perfomance Mode>[Auto]

<Power>
               <ACPI 2.0 Support>[Yes]
               <ACPI APIC support>[Enabled]
               <BIOS-->AML ACPI table>[Enabled]

Good luck!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:45 AM
  • It works Perfectly with your settings. Thank you  dude !!  W7 installation goes to the end without crashing. I think the ACPI2.0 support in BIOS was the key cuz i OC it back to 3,6 GHz and everything goes well.

<ACPI 2.0 Support>[Yes]

Thank you again !
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Hello,

I have a question for webLint
    Could you please upload the RAID drivers again?
    I tried the link and i'm inable to download them.
    Thanks

Sunday, August 09, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Hello Evel-Knievel

Try again updated link above

OR :download from here:

!!! One bad note for the drivers:
           When start windows Check Disk to fix file system errors (for hard disk on PromiseSATA378) W7 is Crashed
    But if you not run check disk W7 work ok

: I put a new PCI SATA controler and disabled PromiseSATA378

Good Luck!
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:09 AM
  • I still use the P4P800E-Deluxe, P4 3.4Ghz, 2GB, ATI AIW 9800 Pro (W7 driver probs with 9800), Xp Pro SP3. I'm dual booting W7 and XP. I custom installed(NOT upgraded) from XP. When you have to pick which partition you will install W7, there is an option to add a driver. I used the Promise 378 driver that was around when this MB was popular. Still on the same floppy :)... It recognized my mirrored drives in XP and the W7 install completed successfully. During your first windows update, microsoft supplies an updated promise controller driver for it which works well. There are however, a number of drivers still needed, mainly the SATA controllers and I was surprised not to find even basic support for my Creative SB Live 5.1 audio card. HUH!!! Still the fact that the Promise controller is being supported extends the life of my hog. ;) I'm happy!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Thank you very much my friend for this information. It works perfectly!
    Keith
    Friday, August 21, 2009 11:17 AM
  • I too have an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe. This motherboard employs the AC’97 codec from Realtek, (the ALC850 chip).

It's a long shot, but Realtek's 'Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)' MAY work.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Also worth crossing one's fingers for is the 'Realtek Media Player(RtlRack)' (further down on the same page).

Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:16 AM
  • This set of drivers worked perfect for me as well. I am running them on my P4C800-E Deluxe. I use my drives in strictly ATA so I can't tell you if they work for RAID but they worked after trying so many others thanks a lot! I installed them afte OS install but I am sure you can install them before as well. Many thanks again webLint!!!
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Hi there , I know it has been a while since you posted your Try this post, but I just handed down my 10 yr old's pc running XP to my 6 1/2 yr old, completely reloaded scratch w/ Win7, and with out your post I would have  been lost, already spent alot of time trying to figure out why in raid mode / SATA my 2 Hard drives would not be recognized, and on my own tried alot of what others here had done, so I said what the heck. both the 1st and 3rd recommendation were already what you suggested but I changed the state of the ACPI APIC support, and both my hard drives are now seen on a Win7 Scratch load.

Dude, U Rock,, thanks from the bottom of my heart, the pain, agony, and $$$$ u saved me only goes to show there are true genious' out here in the cyber world willing to share their knowledge for the betterment of Mankind..

Thank you thank you thank u!!!!

Mike From Thousand Oaks, CA..01052011

Happy NewYear sebLint!!!!!!!

Friday, January 06, 2012 3:44 AM